Fog City Hyper Optiks Visor Insert

Products and Services... Just bought a new accessory or product for your bike? Or bought new riding kit? Do you love it, think it's great? Or do you think it's poor, a complete waste of money and wish you never bought it? Or paid for a service, been ripped off and the job was not up to spec? Either way, share your experiences and write ups here! Feel free to name and shame if you so wish!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Fog City Hyper Optiks Visor Insert

Postby Ladybird » Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:36 am

Having recently the need to replace the old Fog City, I thought I would take the opportunity to replace it with the Hyper Optiks option.

It has a reactolite feature turning it from light blue to dark blue in bright conditions. Well here's my views:

Well packaged and very good, clear instructions for fitting. We've fitted them to both a Suomy and HJC helmet with no problems. They are different to clear Fog Citys, they have a thicker edge too them, and can only imagine on some helmets, if fitted too high, could interfere with the closing action of the visor at the top.

In dull daylight conditions the vision is improved by defining outlines better. Don't know if anyone's tried these yellowish driving glasses, but the effect is very similar.

In bright daylight conditions, it does not obliterate bright sun completely - it just cools the vision. No squinting, giving you clear view and enhanced contrast.

At night - we've found no problems, vision was not affected - however, the guy in the bike shop we bought them from, did say he felt they were still a little too dark when riding at night, but he did got on to say that he has vision problems anyway and has to wear corrective glasses.

The demisting effect of the Fog City visor insert is still top notch, no matter how heavy you're breathing in your helmet.

I have found that you need to keep you visor clean, flies, dust etc are enhanced by the optiks thingy..and thus can be a bit distracting, more I feel than with a clear visor insert.

I normally keep Fog City inserts for about a year - so we'll see how long this one last. Current retail price £29.99 !!! But we did pick 'em up a fair bit cheaper than that
Ladybird
IXXRA Founder

Postby numb bits » Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:40 am

Had one in my helmet for nearly two years Mandy and still as good as it was when i first bought it. :D
numb bits

Postby XXAndy » Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:32 am

I bought one for my trip to Italy 8) and found it quite good. The reaction time was not as good as caimed (4 seconds I think) which caused a few hairy moments going in and out of tunnels.
I doesnt seem to get very dark at all now, so when I bought a new helmet recently I only fitted the clear version.
Although initially very impressed, I dont think it has faired very well, and £30 is way too expensive.
XXAndy

Postby numb bits » Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:39 pm

Hmm Andy don't know if you were robed mine cost 18.99 :eek)
numb bits

Postby XXAndy » Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:36 pm

£18.99 - where from?
XXAndy

Postby numb bits » Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:15 pm

Bradford motorcycles-Canal road (A650ring road) :D easy to find,
main road where all the car dealerships are.
numb bits

Postby Shuggie » Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:47 pm

Just look for the Gypo types at the back of their lorry........... :D :D
Never take life seriously....
Nobody makes it out alive anyway!!
Shuggie
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby numb bits » Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:46 pm

Yeh they will be selling block paving lol, for those tight gits... :P
numb bits

Postby Badger » Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:47 pm

anyone had a problem with the fog city scratching really easily even if cleaned carefully ,and in bright sunshine causing a light double image reflection so you can see your own eyes , or is it me .
mines a clear one
Back and Ready to Ride
Badger
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby XXAndy » Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:46 am

I always use fog city inserts, they are the only thing that stops the visor misting up for me. However, I do get the reflection problem but have never scratched one while cleaning! 8)
XXAndy

Postby numb bits » Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:22 pm

Never had any of those probs duno, maybe i'm just lucky :banghead)
numb bits

Postby Paulninja » Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:17 am

Yes I've had problems with them scratching we must use the same cloth :)
Now use a lot of soapy water and dab dry with kitchen roll then lightly polish with a duster.
Paulninja
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:40 pm

Paulninja :? Is that a new type of Blackbird :? Hmmmmm - are we about to head down that long road again :banghead) :D :mrgreen: :P
TazCBR1100XX

Return to And The Survey Said....