Luggage

Products and Services... Just bought a new accessory or product for your bike? Or bought new riding kit? Do you love it, think it's great? Or do you think it's poor, a complete waste of money and wish you never bought it? Or paid for a service, been ripped off and the job was not up to spec? Either way, share your experiences and write ups here! Feel free to name and shame if you so wish!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Luggage

Postby Ladybird » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:53 pm

Again - information required for the main site:

If you use luggage tell me what you use....approx cost....how is it practically to use.....quality of finish ease of fit etc.....THANKS !
Ladybird
IXXRA Founder

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:58 pm

I only use the soft stuff as follows:

Baglux tank harness and Alpha bag

Oxford tail pack

And that's the lot. I generally leave the tank harness on because it protects the tank and I can quickly add the Alpha bag if I need to but I do struggle to reach the handlebars when the bag is full - even when not expanded - so I tend to only use it for short trips. Can't remember exactly the cost, but I think it was about £120 with Ixxra discount :-? Really easy to fit and looks good too :wink)

The Oxford tail pack is excellent and cost me around £80 (I knew the guy at the shop so it was a bit cheaper than usual). I use it on the rear seat and always use a cargo net over the top of it for added stability. I like it loads and loads and it carries lots of stuff, but I can't use it when I take a pillion. So I'm on the lookout for a cheap Renntec sports rack cuz they look quite cool on the xx :thumbsup)
TazCBR1100XX

Postby numb bits » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:13 pm

Nonfango luggage, i have found easy to use on and off the bike, totaly waterproof to boot and looks better than the Givi-Kappa boxes too, my opinion again of course, oh and you can colour codr the insert flashes to match yer xx
numb bits

Postby Scruffygit » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:17 pm

Like :taz all soft luggage.

Nearly always use a oxford tank bag (Christmas present 4 years ago) as its some where handy to stash water proofs, clear visor, mobile, keys etc. Fitted a baglux tank cover because the tank bag was scuffing the paint work. The grip the magnets have on the tank is noticeably weaker because of the cover but is still strong enough to hold the bag on at 90ish.

She came with a Renntec sports rack fitted and I have fitted a small Hein Gerike bag (about £10) to that to hold a chain and padlock - its a bit tight getting it fastened up but the Motrax chain carrier is too big to fit on the rack. Biggest disappointment about the xx , it has bugger all storage space under the seat. The fireblade and my old GSXR600 had more space.

If I want to carry anything around I have a set of Oxford expandable throw over panniers that I picked up about 4 years ago second hand for a tenner. They were missing the rain covers but I pack everything in bin liners so its no great loss. They don't look anything special but they have stood up to at least 4 years/25k miles of use so I would say quality is good.
Scruffygit
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby BiXXer Bob » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:13 pm

Have a full set of Givvi, 45L top, 35L sides. Although the top box is hardly ever removed (an unexpected bonus is that the airflow over my back and around the end of the bike seems smoother) I hardly ever use the side boxes except when touring - when 'er indoors has top and one side for her stuff and I get to keep all the waterproofs in mine along with my toothbrush. I have to agree that the scaffolding (I have the full wing rack) spoils the look of the bike, but my xx 's a workhorse, not a showpiece. And I chose the wing rack because it's rock solid. The last thing you want at umptyfast miles an hour is 30kg of luggage doing it's own thing. Only maintenance in 30k miles and 3 years of use is replacing the hard rubber inserts on the top plate that are there to take up the slack between the topbox and the top plate. They wore out and allowed the topbox to rattle a bit.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying.

BiXXer Bob
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby The Grim Reaper » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:40 pm

I have a full set of Krausers that came with the bike and they are excellent. Again the rack is a triumph of function over form and is nowhere near as elegant as the suloution the Pete has at blackbird spares but it does for me.

The luggage is a nice black and silver colour too, just like all proper xx s

Cheers

Grim
I'm the master of the wossname, so don't thingummy with me, matey.
The Grim Reaper
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Luggage

Postby Ben » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:43 pm

I had a flyer come from Honda today regarding their panniers for the 'bird. They look the biz (though I suspect I'll be needing to sell the other kidney to afford them). Anybody used them yet?
Ben
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby Gizzit » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:54 pm

saw them at the NEC last year, they looked ok, but like you say - probably fookin expensive :-?

You would have thought that Honda would have introduced them a bit earlier though, given the fact that the bird has been in production for coming up to 10 years :-?
Can't catch me ................... Image
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:48 pm

I'll have some - how much then :-? Where can I get some :-? C'mon folks - gimme the answers - I'm going on holiday soon :D
TazCBR1100XX

Postby 1137cc » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:12 pm

Givi with wingrack for me, i don't like the look of the rack it spoils the bikes clean lines, but it's parctical and it saves the wife having to have a rucksack stuffed full of crap, we always go out with one box on and use the side boxes for touring. Givi is excellent gear, we were well packed last year in frnace and had no probs even at 130+ on the froggie autoroute, ahem officer

iain
1137cc
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:23 am

Just loaded Badgers Givi wingrack and boxes onto my previously sexy xx and it looks a fookin dog :sick)

And to top it all, putting it on is a right bitch and it's scratched my rear seat panel and left hand exhaust :banghead) :banghead) :banghead) I'll stick with the Renntec rack in future and if/when I get the money I'll use the proper Honda xx kit :wink)
TazCBR1100XX

luggage

Postby aidy » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:08 am

have three box givi rack(mk1) and baglux tank harness/bag. just had ali parts of rack powder coated as finish only ok.40L Kappa side cases(new) and 50L Givi topcase(used). Piece of piss to use. easy to mount and robust in construction.Top case used most of time and is superb. tank bag has not been tried yet but seems easy to mount(empty) and quality ok. Roll on summer :)
Aidy
aidy
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby dwell » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:44 am

Daily updated list of really functioning public proxy servers: http://www.checkproxy.net
dwell
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby barsteward » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:00 am

:-? :-? :-? :-? :roll)
barsteward
Q.O.T.W. Moderator
Q.O.T.W. Moderator

Location: Ex of Rainy Todmorden Where???? now just as rainy Walsden

Postby REEFER » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:15 pm

nothing sneaks past barsteward :mrgreen: lol
Lifes too short to eat cheap food!
top tip..dont enter the blackwall tunnel with 3m headroom when driving 3.02 height!!!!!!
motor home build finished 15 months later!!

Image Image Image Image
REEFER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby SPF 0 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:38 am

I had a set of Corbin Beetlebags on my VFR and they were great. They were fully lined, the lines really complimented the bike (looked factory), the colormatch was spot-on (damn tough on a red bike), they held more than a fair amount of gear, and they were lockable.

Corbin has an awful reputation for customer service so I was thankful I didn't have any after-sale issues. Having said that, if I end up keeping my Blackbird long term, I'll likely add a set of Corbin bags again.
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."

'02 XX
SPF 0
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby dufus » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:16 pm

Hi spf

always had luggage on my birds( not the female ones) after 5 birds found with regular euro touring that wingrack 3 with 52 maxia top box (colour coded) then a 41 litre either side (Black as the bints boots always scracthes them on seating/dissmounting).

Magnetic tank bags a real bonus especially with a clear window for maps. Never had, never will have a baglux. Always scratches the bike more than not using one and for that I would always ask the baglux to be removed for inspection before I bought a baglux fitted bike.

On the wingrack never buy second hand unless your expecting a right bargain. the metal is poorley coated and always bubbles and lifts the paint after a while.

If I had the dosh I would get the official honda side boxes with a colour coded givi top box, although I am not sure if you use the official honda panniers if it will take a top box, check 1st/

I had the givi wingrack on the bike when I bought it, so I bought a new e52 topbox from fleabay for £147 plus postage and the panniers were knocked about second hand ones for £75 the pair
dufus
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Return to And The Survey Said....