Seats

Products and Services... Just bought a new accessory or product for your bike? Or bought new riding kit? Do you love it, think it's great? Or do you think it's poor, a complete waste of money and wish you never bought it? Or paid for a service, been ripped off and the job was not up to spec? Either way, share your experiences and write ups here! Feel free to name and shame if you so wish!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Seats

Postby Ladybird » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:59 pm

More and more of you are changing you seats - why? What did you purchase? Where from? How are you getting along with your new seat?
Ladybird
IXXRA Founder

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:04 pm

As we're going to France in May and expecting to do around 3000 miles in just over a week I wanted to ensure my pillion has as much comfort as possible. So I bought a Melboy seat (second hand from Demontat) with gel pad inserts. From a short-legged riders view it's made it a bit more difficult to touch the floor with BOTH tiptoes - can only just touch down - but from a pillions point of view, Rosie says the comfort is excellent and it just moulds to her bum :thumbsup) When riding it's really nice but a bit wide for my short legs when stopped at lights etc.

I'll still use the standard seat for general running around solo as I don't have a problem with it at all, and the main reason for my Melboy seat was pillion comfort when we go out together. I am thinking of altering the rear suspension though to get me a bit closer to the ground for when I use the wider seat. We'll see :mrgreen:
TazCBR1100XX

Postby Mr C » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:13 pm

Ask Red, i bought mine off him, think its just a baglux cover but got the CBR xx logo on it, looks the dogs :clap:
Mr C

Postby numb bits » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:41 pm

Standered seat suit's just fine, however i aint shelling out 450 quid for a seat that i can get donr for 55 and the quality is exellent, (Tony-Archer) the only guy who's getting my dosh :clap: :clap: :clap:
numb bits

Postby Scruffygit » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:55 pm

On the standard seat I used to get uncomfortable after about 60 miles on the motorway and it just got steadily worse until I would be desperate to get off by about 130 miles. If I was on back roads I could last a bit longer because of moving around more but the tank range was never a deciding factor, I always had to stop from numb bum syndrome. Tried a strap on (ooh-err) gel pad but that only slightly improved things, I could last out to about 150 miles.

Got a P&P seat with rider and passenger gel inserts at the NEC in a deal with a MRA screen for £250. The seat base is a bit rough and ready when compared to the original but when fitted it looks the dogs in black (the best colour) with silver piping/lettering. I could have had my seat base recovered for a lot less but I want to keep it for refitting at sale time.

Have not given it a real test but did about 100 miles on it shortly after I fitted it and had no problems. Being wider than the standard its a bit more of a stretch to the floor, I used to be able to get both feet on the floor with bent knees (5mm spacer fitted) and roll her off the centre stand whilst sitting on her. I now have to roll her off the stand before I get on and cannot get both feet flat on the floor at the same time, although that is also probably due in part to fixing the rear sag from 59mm :oops) to 24mm .
Scruffygit
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby big kev » Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:22 pm

:clap: i agree with nummbie on this one i got my seat re-sculptured totally ,from tony archer for £50 he's a top bloke and he does a brilliant job. i dont know how true it is, but i heard a little story that he's the guy that does the seats for other companies, the ones that charge a fookin fortune :banghead)

YEEHAAA!!!..HERE WE GO....OH SHIT!!WHERE DID THAT COME FROM....!
big kev
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Custom Seat

Postby scuzzbucket » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:12 pm

In my opinion the standard seat was not only uncomfortable but slippery and allowed too much "arse movement".
Don't know about any other seats but I picked up a nearly new "Custom seats" seat from a salvage dealer in Bradford that they had on a Bird they were selling... took £40 and my standard seat in exchange...WOW! what a transformation.
Whoever designed that standard seat needs their arsehole removing, its the only thing that lets the bird down severely.
I aren't fallin over cos I'm pissed......I have an ear infection!
scuzzbucket
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:00 pm

I don't have a problem with the standard seat, and it also allows me to touch down with my tip-toes + a bit (both feet :mrgreen: ) whereas the Custom
Seats seat with (breast augmentation material) allows me to stretch to get even the tip of my tip-toes on the deck :bigshock) but it is comfortable. I haven't done any serious mileage on it yet, but I haven't previously had a comfort problem with the standard seat - in fact, I bought the Custom Seats seat primarily for pillion comfort when we go to France :D
TazCBR1100XX

Postby Shuggie » Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:04 am

Like Scruff I got mine from P&P with the Viper tag on it, about 18 months ago.
It began to lose the shape around the seating levels caused by the sunlight softening the glue.
It still looks ok but you always know its not as it should be.
Anyhow I saw from the stand last year that they've changed the design a tad. Hope that helps.

As regards comfort, I've never had a problem with it. :)
Never take life seriously....
Nobody makes it out alive anyway!!
Shuggie
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Stealth Rider » Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:38 am

TazCBR1100XX wrote:As we're going to France in May and expecting to do around 3000 miles in just over a week I wanted to ensure my pillion has as much comfort as possible. So I bought a Melboy seat (second hand from Demontat) with gel pad inserts. From a short-legged riders view it's made it a bit more difficult to touch the floor with BOTH tiptoes - can only just touch down - but from a pillions point of view, Rosie says the comfort is excellent and it just moulds to her bum :thumbsup) When riding it's really nice but a bit wide for my short legs when stopped at lights etc.

I'll still use the standard seat for general running around solo as I don't have a problem with it at all, and the main reason for my Melboy seat was pillion comfort when we go out together. I am thinking of altering the rear suspension though to get me a bit closer to the ground for when I use the wider seat. We'll see :mrgreen:

And what a nice bum it is to Taz :-)

I have just purchaced an excellent seat from Melboy,with red piping for the red bird. Superb service and great quality, does make the hight and width larger but is quite comfortable,well recommended. Pictures on the survey said if you look
Stealth Rider
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby Shuggie » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:06 am

Shuggie wrote:Like Scruff I got mine from P&P with the Viper tag on it, about 18 months ago.
It began to lose the shape around the seating levels caused by the sunlight softening the glue.
It still looks ok but you always know its not as it should be.
Anyhow I saw from the stand last year that they've changed the design a tad. Hope that helps.

As regards comfort, I've never had a problem with it. :)

Just an update on my saddle probs.
I would like to name P&P seats for the best service award, and helping me regain faith in British Industry.

I eventually got round to contacting Wendy at P&P seats about 3 weeks ago, ref having a look at my seat which was as I described above. I sent the seat to them and managed to speak with foreman-Rob the day it arrived.
He stated that it was an earlier design and that a new variation was in use now, and seeing as they took a bit of time to get back in touch did I want the non-slip surface put on in its place along with a general tidy up.
Needless to say the job was done and I took possession of a superbly finished seat yesterday, all free of charge! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Hats off to a superb service, truly unusual in this day and age. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Never take life seriously....
Nobody makes it out alive anyway!!
Shuggie
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby MaXX2 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:07 am

Another post for Tony Archer is this, but well earned I reckon.

Had the seat recovered last year to my own spec/design for £50. Kay struggles on the back seat after a 100 miles or so, so having read one of AJ's posts, thought I'd give memory foam a go. Read some stuff on the interweb and bought the foam.

Rang Tony Archer and dropped the seat off last Saturday, he's loaned me his xx seat to keep me on the road and I collect the newly refurbed unit a week later.

Total quote from Mr Archer NIL-NOFFINK-NADA-ZIP-K'ALL. Apparently he likes to keep his customers happy and because I'm not changing the cover at all 'It's nowt, don't worry about it' (whether he likes it or not, he's havin a pint for it though FFS)

Don't think much else needs to be said- which is a good job coz I'm still bloody gobsmacked by it.

Wouldn't hesitate to recommend the fella

Mick
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby barsteward » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:46 am

I have recomended Tony Archer several times and so have many other members on this forum. I think he ought to have a sticky on here what do you think crew :-?
barsteward
Q.O.T.W. Moderator
Q.O.T.W. Moderator

Location: Ex of Rainy Todmorden Where???? now just as rainy Walsden

Postby barsteward » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:50 am

I have recommended Tony Archer several times and so have many other members on this forum. I think he ought to have a permanent add on here what do you think crew :-?
barsteward
Q.O.T.W. Moderator
Q.O.T.W. Moderator

Postby Tim » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:29 am

Bit early to be slurring and repeatimg yaself isn't it Barsteward?

:P :-)

Hossin to'slart over here Lezzt today.....( sleeting like fook, to you Poofs darn Sarf) :banghead) :banghead)
Tim
Site Admin

Postby Tim » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:29 am

Bit early to be slurring and repeatimg yaself isn't it Barsteward?

:P :-)

Hossin to'slart over here Lezz today.....( sleeting like fook, to you Poofs darn Sarf) :banghead) :banghead)

:oops) :oops) :oops) ...even earlier for me, by the looks of it :mrgreen:
Last edited by Tim on Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
Site Admin

Postby barsteward » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:37 am

Eeee, looks like I were a bit slarted last neet. :D :D :D ....Missed that one Timdraggon :mrgreen:

Worse forcast for tomorrow so looks like no xx ing :bigcry: :bigcry:
barsteward
Q.O.T.W. Moderator
Q.O.T.W. Moderator

Re: Seats

Postby SPF 0 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:27 am

Only thing I'd ask you to keep in mind is that a seat that meshes well with one person may not be a good fit for you.

Do you want to plant your feet at stoplights to would you prefer more thigh support? Do you want to be "locked in" when you accelerate or would you prefer to be able to change riding positions? Would you prefer more padding or a low seat height?

Find someone people have had good experience with and will make a seat for your specific needs.

My 2¢. Your Mileage may vary.
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."

'02 XX
SPF 0
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Return to And The Survey Said....