Suspension problems

Products and Services... Just bought a new accessory or product for your bike? Or bought new riding kit? Do you love it, think it's great? Or do you think it's poor, a complete waste of money and wish you never bought it? Or paid for a service, been ripped off and the job was not up to spec? Either way, share your experiences and write ups here! Feel free to name and shame if you so wish!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Suspension problems

Postby Ladybird » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:04 pm

Have you had any? What occured that led you to thoughts regarding your suspension? what did you replace? Which replacement did you purchase? How do you find it now?
Ladybird
IXXRA Founder

Postby Captain » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:59 pm

'98 carb'd model 37,000 miles.

The forks dove under breaking and were really solid over bumps. The rear shock was as hard as granit, even when fully adjusted. :banghead) :banghead) :banghead)

The way I got around this was by fitting HyperPro progressive raising rate springs and by changing the weight of the fork oil. In addition also changed the make of tyres to Avons.

To say it transformed the rideability, for little cost (around £250 all in), would be an understatement :D I know some do not like the raising rate way of doing things, but for me personally it has made all the difference. :mrgreen:

Captain
Keep the black bits down, and the shiny bits up!

Captain@ixxra.co.uk
Captain
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:08 pm

The only problem I have with the suspension is keeping the rear clean :( It was already pretty grubby by the time I bought a Red Fox hugger and I've never taken it off to clean it so it's still mucky. Other than that I don't have any problems with suspension at this moment in time - but I am about 20 stone lighter than Big Kev :mrgreen:
TazCBR1100XX

Postby numb bits » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:25 pm

When i got the bike the rear shock was scaby, but fitted a newish seconhand one just cos it looked better then a redfox hugger which has helped look after it :) :) The front forks are crap and need sorting out which they are going to be done before our hol's to france, Ohlins progressive for me 8)
numb bits

Postby Mr C » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:33 pm

Front end had new springs put in. 100% improvement. Bike now turns into corners rather than drops in, and no jarring when hittting potholes etc

Rear end had replacement ( second hand ) shock, whole bike has been transformed
Mr C

Postby Scruffygit » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:14 pm

Not done anything yet except set up the rear sag. To get 24mm I have had to wind the pre-load to maximum (I'm 15 1/2 stone straight out of the shower so probably nearer 17 in riding gear). I will live with it until next winter when I will upgrade both front and rear. The xx will have done about 20K by then which apparently is the useful life expectancy of the shock.

I fancy an Ohlins or similar with remote pre-load but cannot honestly justify it - I'n definately not a track god or need to continually swap between solo/pillion/luggage settings. So I will probably go for the over length spring/cut-down spacer, possibly with pre-load adjuster, and shock re-built for my weight and riding style from either Jaws or 1200pete.
Scruffygit
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Return to And The Survey Said....