Crash protectors - which ones?

Products and Services... Just bought a new accessory or product for your bike? Or bought new riding kit? Do you love it, think it's great? Or do you think it's poor, a complete waste of money and wish you never bought it? Or paid for a service, been ripped off and the job was not up to spec? Either way, share your experiences and write ups here! Feel free to name and shame if you so wish!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Crash protectors - which ones?

Postby R1-Biker » Sat May 28, 2005 3:04 am

New on here and first post so "Hi to you all."
I want to fit some crash protectors to my XX and would like some advice on which to go for please. I don't want to have to do any fairing mods and I don't personally like the little ones I've seen on some birds (a guy I got talking to in France on my way to Le Mans last year talked me out of the little ones as his necked straight off in a spill).
Any advice please on which and where from, thanxx.
R1-Biker
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby Deano » Sat May 28, 2005 7:37 am

If you are not prepared to cut holes in the fairings to fit some then the only alternative is to fit them to the XX through an existing hole where it will bolt to the frame.

There are a few choices from plastic types to metal and will probably not save more than if you drop the bike at low speeds. If a bike slides for any distance even with crash bungs there is gonna be damage, all crash bungs do is limit the amount depending on the situation.

Our very own BEZZER makes some great ones and I am sure he will advise you further if you need help.

See

http://ixxra.co.uk/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1075

Deano

By the way - Welcome to ixxra matey :clap:
On the path to "Old and Wise" you must first be "Young and Foolish"
Deano
IXXRA Founder

Postby Scruffygit » Sat May 28, 2005 2:10 pm

A word of warning.

Apparently the type that fit to the engine mounts (R&G, Harris, etc.) can cause more damage than they save. Again apparently because they are mounted relatively low if you do drop it, it pitches onto the nose and trashes the nose cone, which ain't cheap.

With apologies to Bezzer, a couple of threads from the dark side might help:

http://www.bikersoracle.com/blackbird/f ... rash+bungs

http://www.bikersoracle.com/blackbird/f ... rash+bungs
Scruffygit
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby R1-Biker » Sun May 29, 2005 5:58 am

Thanks for all your comments guys, plenty of food for thought. My first post and I open a can of worms, sorry.
My thinking at the moment is to go for the small ones and keep looking for an alternative version of the larger type also.
Failing that can I change all my fairing bolts for titanium ones which stick out further, all over bubble wrap, crash bars (only us more expierienced riders remember them items of beauty), a pair of old Givi paniers...
Cheers guys.
R1-Biker
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:17 am

Now then - Givi panniers - there's a thing :wink) If I didn't have Givi panniers on in France the other week when Badger twatted me with his panniers I would probably have had more damage to the xx :( BUT, if I hadn't had the fookin things on in the first place I wouldn't have got twatted by Badger so wouldn't have got knocked off the fookin thing so would still have my left hand peg and no scratches on the engine casing :banghead) :banghead)

Take a chance and just leave the fooker :D
TazCBR1100XX

Postby R1-Biker » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:38 am

lol :monkey) :oops)
Sorry for laughing at your expense bud that is kind of funny, although probably not at that moment for you. Appart from that day, did you enjoy France?
I'm meant to be going to Assen in a few weeks, all paid etc but I don't think I'll be well enough to go :bigcry:
R1-Biker
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby Gizzit » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:07 am

I fitted R&G crash bungs to my last two xx s. I did have to cut holes in the faring though :(

Mind you it was well worth it - I managed to drop my second xx in the garage (long story but involved large amounts on soapy water and a pair of trainers :banghead) ). It fell away from me so nothing I could do to stop it! The Crash bungs took ALL of the damage, there was not even a scratch on the mirror :D

Like others have said though, at best they will help in a zero speed drop. Nothing will completely protect at any speed.
Can't catch me ................... Image
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby The Grim Reaper » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:19 pm

The best crash protectors I ever had were on the Blade that I binned on a diesel soaked roundabout. They were from Rhencullen and, instead of mounting directly to the frame, they were on brackets that came from the frame mounting points and then had a rod between them that sat behind the exhaust downpipes. Had my Blade not slid up a kerb, the damage would have been next to nothing. Because the bobbins are on a bracket with a rod between them, they form a box that flexes as the bobbin hits the floor, no frame damage, the bracket would bend before the frams was damaged.

The other good thing about them was that they required no fairing cutting (for the blade) unlike the R&G ones. Hang on .... arse, they don't do them for the xx. The company is Bike Design, a Belgian company and the bobbins were excellent. Might be worth asking if they have plans for the xx

Cheers

Grim
I'm the master of the wossname, so don't thingummy with me, matey.
The Grim Reaper
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:35 pm

R1-Biker wrote:Appart from that day, did you enjoy France?
I'm meant to be going to Assen in a few weeks, all paid etc but I don't think I'll be well enough to go :bigcry:

France was fookin excellent and I can't wait to go back - and if you've paid for Assen and can't go, give it to me - I love freebies :wink) :mrgreen:
TazCBR1100XX

Return to And The Survey Said....