Bar risers anyone?

Products and Services... Just bought a new accessory or product for your bike? Or bought new riding kit? Do you love it, think it's great? Or do you think it's poor, a complete waste of money and wish you never bought it? Or paid for a service, been ripped off and the job was not up to spec? Either way, share your experiences and write ups here! Feel free to name and shame if you so wish!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Bar risers anyone?

Postby Banshee » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:55 pm

Any one got them fitted?

If so what difference do they really make?

Are they more comfy over distance?

Or just a waste of money?
No dear its not new I have had it ages

It was just at the back of the garage honest
Banshee
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby Speedy » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:50 pm

Got them on both my bikes, mate. Had the expensive German ones fitted to one bike and 1200petes one, from Blackbird Spares, fitted to the other.

Liked the cheaper ones so much, I swapped the expensive ones. You're welcome to try one when you pick that manual up.
Today is the first day of the rest of your life. But so was yesterday, and look how you messed that up.
Speedy
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby REEFER » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:45 pm

got mine off 1200 pete also
didnt really have a problem with the standard bars..but cash burning hole in me pockets when i wqas at petes and the rest is history :mrgreen:
i find its less strain on the back of my neck..looking ahead and up all the time..deffo easier to filter through london with them..but if you combine those with the harley foot peg mod then its like a diffrent bike..much more comfy :clap:
Lifes too short to eat cheap food!
top tip..dont enter the blackwall tunnel with 3m headroom when driving 3.02 height!!!!!!
motor home build finished 15 months later!!

Image Image Image Image
REEFER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Banshee » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:54 pm

Cheers Terry :clap:
No dear its not new I have had it ages

It was just at the back of the garage honest
Banshee
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby BiXXer Bob » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:32 pm

REEFER wrote:got mine off 1200 pete also
didnt really have a problem with the standard bars..but cash burning hole in me pockets when i wqas at petes and the rest is history :mrgreen:
i find its less strain on the back of my neck..looking ahead and up all the time..deffo easier to filter through london with them..but if you combine those with the harley foot peg mod then its like a diffrent bike..much more comfy :clap:

Wot Harley footpeg mod??? :-?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying.

BiXXer Bob
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby SPF 0 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:39 am

I had a set of Gen Mar's on my VFR and I'm getting them put onto my xx as I write this. The nice thing (for me) is that at a casual glance, you can't tell they've been modified. On the VFR, it made a very large difference and was the best comfort-for-the-buck mods I did on it.

Stock cables are retained and if you sell the bike, the seller can easily remove the risers. They're about $110 USD (no idea 'bout shipping-sorry!).
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."

'02 XX
SPF 0
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

bar risers

Postby ROVERT57 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:59 pm

still deciding wheather to get some risers and was wondering if the riders height had any bearing on the comfort of the bird and the effectiveness of this modbe interesting to see the height of the riders on these bikes if possible
ROVERT57
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby MaXX2 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:52 pm

6'2" m8 and 30mm of lift that the vfr vtec bars give, straightens me back and lifts some of the weight off the wrists/shoulders. Certainly wouldn't go back to standard clip-ons now :thumbsup)
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Laceyjay » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:15 am

5'5 here and they made a different comfort wise for me also - less stretch for short person arms !!!
ImageImage
Life is for living with your aerial up and fully receiving
Laceyjay
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby barsteward » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:37 pm

5' 9 5/8ths no problem with standard bars :wink)
barsteward
Q.O.T.W. Moderator
Q.O.T.W. Moderator

Location: Ex of Rainy Todmorden Where???? now just as rainy Walsden

Postby Tim » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:14 pm

barsteward wrote:5' 9 5/8ths no problem with standard bars....anything bigger and I have trouble serving the customers :wink)

:mrgreen:
Tim
Site Admin

Bar Riser's

Postby ScaredWitless » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:48 pm

I tried the Gilles ones at a huge cost, left hand bar no problem but could never get the RH in the correct position without hacking off the lugs on the brake master cylinder. This I wasnt prepared to do so have reverted to originals. If someone wants a cheap set of Gilles bar risers let me know! :banghead)
Mine just scares the C*** out of me
ScaredWitless
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby Redbird USA » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:09 pm

ScaredWitless,

Just joined today and was reading some of the forums. I am wanting to either get some risers or higher bars for my US model. I was looking at the 28mm risers verses different bars. The risers are by far cheaper. Do you have to change any lines with the Gilles, such as clutch, brake, or throttle? If I may ask, which I might be interested, what you are asking for your Gilles? I live in the US, zip code 21632 in Maryland.

Thanks and Safe Riding,

Mark
mcfoskey@yahoo.com
Don't put off the most important thing in life today, for tomorrow may not show up!!!
Redbird USA
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Re: Bar Riser's

Postby Akuji » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:07 pm

ScaredWitless wrote:I tried the Gilles ones at a huge cost, left hand bar no problem but could never get the RH in the correct position without hacking off the lugs on the brake master cylinder. This I wasnt prepared to do so have reverted to originals. If someone wants a cheap set of Gilles bar risers let me know! :banghead)

you have a PM :mrgreen:
I've Got Mad Cow, What's Your Excuse??......Denny Crane
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby MaXX2 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:16 pm

Hi Redbird and warm welcome m8 :clap:

If you're wanting 28mm of lift you shouldn't need to replace any hoses or cables at all. Have a look at your local bike breakers (scrap yard) for a pair VFR800 VTEC clip-ons- 30 mm of lift, look like they belong there and for a few dollars more or less than risers (over here, they're about the same price) :wink) :mrgreen:

Take care and nice to hear from y'all :thumbsup)
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Tigger » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:34 pm

BiXXer Bob wrote:Wot Harley footpeg mod??? :-?

http://ixxra.co.uk/ipw-web/bulletin/bb/ ... php?t=9663

and

wakey bob :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

My boing is back .... :P
devil
Tigger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Bars & Risers

Postby Redbird USA » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:58 pm

MaXX2,

Thanks for the info on the bars, this is my third Blackbird. But the first time I have looked into getting higher bars.

Appreciate your help much and Have a Great Day!!!

Mark
Don't put off the most important thing in life today, for tomorrow may not show up!!!
Redbird USA
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby Jelly » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:05 pm

Hi,

I fitted 28mm risers, these use stock cables.
What a transformation, long journeys no longer the ordeal they used to be on me mankey old arms and slow manoevering a doddle.
If you find the standard riding position uncomfortable 'cos you are 5'8" like me or less it's the best thing you can buy.
Really really recommend them.
Bought mine off fleabay 70 squid, beautifully made and dead easy to fit.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-BLACKBIRD-BAR-RISERS_W0QQitemZ180046271494QQihZ008QQcategoryZ10460QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

:)
If the sh!t fits, wear it.
Jelly
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby Dougal » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:04 am

Reefer, where do I get these Harley pegs, and what kind of money's in them. cheers

Dougal
Dougal
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby MaXX2 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:01 pm

Think Reef may have missed this one Dougal- the pegs are off a Buell 1200 Lightning and Buell's part No is 520.IAD and 521.IAD (Thanks Rolfy :wink) :mrgreen: )

Trust it helps in Reefs absence and no doubt he'll correct me if I fooked up :D :D
Last edited by MaXX2 on Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaXX2
Site Admin

BUEL PEGS

Postby ROVERT57 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:40 pm

Are these pegs a sraight replacement or do you need to alter anything to make them fit
ROVERT57
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby MaXX2 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:40 pm

Alterations are needed, but they're trivial- see below :wink) :mrgreen:

http://www.blackbirdownersclub.nl/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=367
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Dougal » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:59 am

Cheers for that Maxx2 :D :D
Dougal
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby MaXX2 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:34 pm

Nay wukkin furries m8 :wink) :mrgreen:
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby dufus » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:02 pm

I tried the exspensive route of aftermarket raisers, definately worked but I was a bit miffed to find out the vfr vtec bars did the same job at a tenth of the cost, Honda breakers, don't you just love them.

Also the buell/ honda hornet rear footrests definatively give your passenger a better place to rest their poor stinky feet.

Also, god don't I go on, when I bought full luggage my partner, not a big unit, found the givi seat pad with its bending in edges stuck in her back quite a lot so we tried the KAPPA seat pad on the givi 52 maxia box and would truly reccomend this above all.

we split up for a while so I bought myself a gsxr 750 k7, pure selfishness :) but my 1st sports bike, so much fun. but now she has calmed down the gixa will soon be ebay bound and the hunt for bird number 6 commences.

O and for big distances I can strongly reccomend a touring scottoiler, big chain and sprockets saver
dufus
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Next

Return to And The Survey Said....