Bar risers anyone?

Products and Services... Just bought a new accessory or product for your bike? Or bought new riding kit? Do you love it, think it's great? Or do you think it's poor, a complete waste of money and wish you never bought it? Or paid for a service, been ripped off and the job was not up to spec? Either way, share your experiences and write ups here! Feel free to name and shame if you so wish!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

vfr bars

Postby andy cornish » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:16 pm

im also looking to fit some on my 97 bb, have already fitted buel pegs,
with a bit of machineing n spacer tubes they fit ok & feel much more comfortable. btw part no is no520.iad/no521.iad @ £16.50 each. ps dont tell hd guys its for a honda, they scowl n walk off in a huff lol
andy cornish
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby nightflight » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:56 am

Firstly hello to everyone, as I am new to the Blackbird world, but loving every minute of it.
I do want to raise the bars, and it seems the way forward is to fit the VFR bars. Do they have to be from a particular model/year or do they all fit ?All advice appreciated, and look forward to seeing you out and about.
nightflight
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby iainm9438 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:39 am

hi nightflight and welcome.
i have recently fitted vfr bars to my bird and have also had risers so have some experience of both. :)
firstly, are you getting wrist or palm ache?
if it just wrist ache, go for risers (i can sell you mine). they are under 1/2 price of Gullible shallow twats bars. :-)
if, like me, you are suffering wrist and palm ache, go for Gullible shallow twats bars (but they are harder to fit than risers)
let me know which and where you are and i can give more advice.
you may want to post a hello on the new members page? :mrgreen:
regards
Iain
iainm9438
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Tim » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:35 pm

nightflight wrote:Firstly hello to everyone, as I am new to the Blackbird world, but loving every minute of it.
I do want to raise the bars, and it seems the way forward is to fit the VFR bars. Do they have to be from a particular model/year or do they all fit ?All advice appreciated, and look forward to seeing you out and about.

Same as Ian says re the bars....VFR bars like rocking horse shite..

A Big hello from me mate but I should pop into the New Members Section just to say hi....otherwise this thread may go off the radar again and no bugger will know who youm are....
Tim
Site Admin

Postby MaXX2 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:08 pm

nightflight wrote:Firstly hello to everyone, as I am new to the Blackbird world, but loving every minute of it.

Howdoo nightflight :thumbsup) - any year of VFR800 VTECH will do :wink) , but they must come from that model to fit.

Scout around the scrap yards by phone/th'interweb, second hand they can be had for a similar price to the far more easily available bar risers (IF you can find 'em of course) :wink) :mrgreen:

Nowt up with the bar risers BTW- they do the same job and you can have them by tomorrow :)
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby iainm9438 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:17 pm

yea, the Gullible shallow twats bars are very rare. i found my set by chance on ebay. :mrgreen:
i called all the breakers and got replies of hysterical laughter or 'not a chance mate'!! :banghead)
David silver spares do new ones at £59 each plus VAT and delivery but are out of stock until mid July.
New from Honda they are £125 each!! :cry)
keep watching eBay or call David Silver spares (Google it and you will find the web site) if you really do want Gullible shallow twats bars but to fit them you will need to modify your brake / clutch master cylinders and bleed both through afterwards.
the risers will need no modification and can be fitted in 1/2 hour. :)
risers are also available more readily.
hope this helps.
happy hunting.
regards
Iain
iainm9438
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby steveCBR11xx » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:48 pm

Just looking at this thread and its what I wanna do to my 97'bird, will the bars from a 97 VFR fit and do the job as they look about an inch higher than mine, and every inch counts 8)
Im not a complete idiot...........some parts are missing
steveCBR11xx
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby iainm9438 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:08 am

no, they have to be from the VTEC model (from 02 onwards i believe) as these use 43mm forks same as the xx.
:-? nothing else will fit. do not buy 97 Gullible shallow twats bars as you will just be wasting your money. :cry)
Iain
iainm9438
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby nightflight » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:27 am

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Now searching for some VFR bars as this seems to be the best option. Cheers
nightflight
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby Banshee » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:24 pm

Got a set of non adjustable 28mm risers available as taken off my bird any offers?
No dear its not new I have had it ages

It was just at the back of the garage honest
Banshee
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

u still gor em?

Postby TESLACOIL » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:15 am

ill defo have them off you if u still got them
TESLACOIL
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

u still gor em?

Postby TESLACOIL » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:15 am

ill defo have them off you if u still got them
TESLACOIL
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby Banshee » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:30 am

Sorry mate long gone
No dear its not new I have had it ages

It was just at the back of the garage honest
Banshee
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Re: Bar risers anyone?

Postby steveCBR11xx » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:30 pm

Bought a set of risers from JAWS £75 I think, took no more than 1/2 hour to fit a doddle in fact and fugg me what an improvement they make, from following a friends on a 125 who is learning to "party" mode playtime soooo much more comfy. pix to follow but the best bit is your instantly at home with them they dont feel odd.
Attachments
finished article.jpg
new riser and bar mount.jpg
standard bar mount.jpg
Im not a complete idiot...........some parts are missing
steveCBR11xx
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby Tim » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:42 pm

First mod I did to the Bird..transformed it for me as I am a 6 foot 3 riding God... :mrgreen:
Tim
Site Admin

Postby Tigger » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:07 pm

Tim wrote:First mod I did to the Bird..transformed it for me as I am a 6 foot 3 riding Cod... :mrgreen:

hooked, someone help me land it :mrgreen:

My boing is back .... :P
devil
Tigger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Tim » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:32 pm

Tigger wrote:
Tim wrote:First mod I did to the Bird..transformed it for me as I am a 6 foot 3 riding Cod... :mrgreen:

hooked, someone help me land it :mrgreen:

rofl rofl rofl rofl coont.
Tim
Site Admin

Postby nightflight » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:23 pm

I've also fitted a set from Jaws. Superb product, and fantastic service. Also fitted a double bubble screen, had my wheels powder coated in gold, and a set of Bridgestone BT 16's fitted. Just need to do some miles now, but the bike is looking superb.
nightflight
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby Tim » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:33 pm

nightflight wrote:I've also fitted a set from Jaws. Superb product, and fantastic service. Also fitted a double bubble screen, had my wheels powder coated in gold, and a set of Bridgestone BT 16's fitted. Just need to do some miles now, but the bike is looking superb.

:clap: :clap: , so let's have a photo of it nightsoil :mrgreen: ...any probs posting a pic , then shout up...plenty of help available... :wink)

8)
Tim
Site Admin

Postby bigshep » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:15 pm

I HAD BAR RISERS FITTED AND FOUND THEM MORE COMFORTABLE RIDING UP TO 300 MILES A DAY,BUT HAVE NOW SWOPPED TO VFR VTEC BARS WHICH BRING THE BARS CLOSER TO ME(I ALWAYS FOUND IT A BIT OF A LONG REACH ) AND REDUCE THE ANGLE OF THE DROP ON THE BARS.THE DOWN SIDE WAS IT TOOK ME 8 MONTHS OF SEARCHING TO GET A PAIR(BARS) .I FIND THE VTEC BARS REALLY COMFORTABLE AND THEY JUST NEEDED A SMALL MOD TO BANJO RETAINER ON THROTTLE SIDE.HOPE THIS HELPS :-)
bigshep
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby JohnBiker4 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:30 pm

Hi,
I have had my Blackbird from new in 2001 and have done just over 30,000 miles. I was waiting to see what the new VFR1200F was like to decide if I wanted to change the Bird or to keep it. However, having ridden it at Honda's European press launch in Spain last October, it was an easy decision to keep the old gal. I have been thinking about bar risers for a little while and was interested in the post about changing them for the VFR V-Tec ones. Are the Bird's cables long enough or is there need to cut and shut? Do they foul the original screen or are they OK? What year VFR donor risers or are they all the same?
JohnBiker4
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby MaXX2 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:00 pm

Warm welcome to you John :rockon) The V-Tec bars are fine with the XX stock pipes and cables but I can't help you with the screen. Mine are fitted behind an MRA Vario and no worries. Hopefully, someone with a stock screen and Gullible shallow twats bars will turn up shortly and fill in the gap.

I'm interested in the fact that you've ridden the new V Ef---errrrr thingy. Don't spose you fancy doing a wee write up do ya :-? Be nice to get it from the horses's mouth, when the horse is't being wined, dined, shmoozed and palmed by Honda :wink) :mrgreen:
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby iainm9438 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:23 pm

a quick answer: yes they go stright on. find the link on the ixxra home page about changing the angle of the brake hoses but that is all you have to do.
mine were fitted with a standard, DB and Vario screen and didn't foul any of them.
hope it helps. :wink)
Was a 1 of kind xx........RIP Zebra
iainm9438
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby JohnBiker4 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:01 pm

Thanks guys for your quick response. Really helpful and I will get the bars on order. I guess it's an age thing that the back's giving problems every now and again.
MaXX2, I did a very short bit on the VFR1200F in Feb's issue of Ride magazine in the "Owners Column". The full version can be found at my website http://www.bgtbikersolicitors.co.uk and also in this issue of the Honda Owners Club magazine, the "Golden Wing". Hope you enjoy the read. I believe that I have given a balanced view from a long standing Blackbird owner and a general member of the public with 38 years in the saddle. The bike is very capable but it would not take me, the wife and all the camping eqipment (and hairdryer!), nor would I like to be travelling in France on a Sunday where petrol stations are a little distance apart. You may also find my article on filtering interesting as well.
I have also recently considered all the huff about the leading rider being responsible for the speed of those in the group following. This will be downloaded soon.
I will again be on the forum for advice shortly about suspension as mine is becoming a little soggy and needs an upgrade.
JohnBiker4
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby Tigger » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:42 pm

Doing mine soon, just waiting for a sunny sunday. :P

My boing is back .... :P
devil
Tigger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

PreviousNext