Suspension....

Products and Services... Just bought a new accessory or product for your bike? Or bought new riding kit? Do you love it, think it's great? Or do you think it's poor, a complete waste of money and wish you never bought it? Or paid for a service, been ripped off and the job was not up to spec? Either way, share your experiences and write ups here! Feel free to name and shame if you so wish!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Suspension....

Postby Marathon Man » Tue May 30, 2006 9:09 am

At 30,000 miles young, I'm thinking of replacing / upgrading the 'Bird's suspension front and rear.

Both ends look fine but the bike exhibits the perennial 'Bird problem of being settled when loaded up (i.e. with luggage and / or pillion) and feeling relatively unstable (loads of rebound off bumps) when it's just little ten stone me on the bike. Ideally, I need suspension I can adjust to suit both types of conditions (as well as the odd track day)...

So, any suggestions?

I've had two options from Maxton suspension (one to rebuild front and back, one to replace front and back) which vary from £400 to £880 depending on what I have done. Has anyone had this work done and what do they reckon?

Alternatively, has anyone had other suspension work done (Ohlins, or Jaws work maybe) that they can recommend?
Marathon Man
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby REEFER » Tue May 30, 2006 9:40 am

got a hagon rear unit on mine..with hydrolic remote preload you can chuck under the seat or make up a bracket to attach it to the rear foot peg hanger
i just give it nine turns if im luggaged up with a pillion
at about £350 its not a bad price if you dont wanna go the whole hog for a ohlins which are about 550
steer clear of there front springs tho..fwiw imo any spring that is longer for the bird aint worth using..go for either an uprated standard ohlins or personaly i use and have found good hyperpro progressive front springs..althouh i run the 10w oil (standard bird) rather than the 5w hyperpro reccomend
HTH
Lifes too short to eat cheap food!
top tip..dont enter the blackwall tunnel with 3m headroom when driving 3.02 height!!!!!!
motor home build finished 15 months later!!

Image Image Image Image
REEFER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Tim » Tue May 30, 2006 10:18 am

"aj" will be able to enlighten you with specific details on his return from a Photo-Shoot for next months "Geriatric Times"..as to what he's had done..all I can say is I was sceptical about the difference it would make....until I got on it...the difference was fantastic...firmer but at the same time smoother/softer.....although where he had it done and by whom has caused some heated debate and, dare I say, a bit of full weight chucking of Teddies along with dummies....but I wont bring the sordid past up as I wouldn't want anyone to think I'm a cnut................ :mrgreen:
Tim
Site Admin

Return to And The Survey Said....