To HID or not to HID

Products and Services... Just bought a new accessory or product for your bike? Or bought new riding kit? Do you love it, think it's great? Or do you think it's poor, a complete waste of money and wish you never bought it? Or paid for a service, been ripped off and the job was not up to spec? Either way, share your experiences and write ups here! Feel free to name and shame if you so wish!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

To HID or not to HID

Postby BiXXer Bob » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:43 pm

MY view on new HID light conversion

Fitted some HIDs same as Rolfy's. Went for a blast in the dark last night - first time since fitting the HIDs, so here's the verdict:

- Initially, I was disappointed. As it started to get dark I couldn't see any trace of them working. Turns out that's cos the colour is very close to daylight.

- As it got darker, the dip really started to improve. As a precaution, I'd dropped the beam down a bit so as not to dazzle anyone. I had to pull over and reset it back to normal. While riding you can see by the very sharp cutoff that it's not dazzling anyone coming the other way, because by the time they are in the beam, they are just about passed me anyway. I was a bit concerned about cars in front of me, but again, the cutoff line was jus below boot lid line on most so ok there as well.

- Once it was fully dark I have to say I was frankly amazed. (Ok, so £86 lighter, you would think maybe I would say that, but I don't want anyone to buy on an overinflated recommendation). To be picky, if you're not used xenon white lights on your car, a more yellow light might suit you. If that's the case, order the 4000k instead of the 6000k bulbs. The different spec is to do with the colour of the light, not the brightness. The dip beam gives a very good pool of light on the road where you need it, and also a good spread of light to the sides - which with the original bulbs was so weak I didn't know the beam extended that far.

- Likewise, on main beam the spread of light is excellent. The only criticism is that the bulb takes four or five seconds to reach full brightness, so a quick flash of main beam has little effect. Once its warmed up, as I said, it's fantastic. It's the first time I've ever had bike lights that come anywhere near those of a car. I've got xenons on the truck and these are at least as good.

- Also, not sure why, maybe it's cage drivers not being used to a really white single light coming up on them, but on the dual carriageway they sure got out of the way better than I'm used to...

If you do a lot of riding in the dark (as I'm about to with my weekly commute) these have got to make it safer. They get the BB thumbs up!!

In fact, if you consider £86 against the cost of seats, bling, screens, huggers etc it's gotta be the best value money around in terms of improvement to safety .....

BiXXer Bob
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby jack » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:26 pm

Shared a HID setup with Maxx a month or two back, worked out at about £60 each but fitted it to the full beam as I didn't want to annoy on coming drivers, even in daylight, if you stand in front of them, you get 'blind spots' and it sends the retina to the back of your skull for a few minutes :P

Got to say, on dark roads, it's like riding in daylight but when you turn the bugga to dip, it's like being immersed in a pool of darkness for a few seconds before your eyes adjust.
The Older I get the Better I Was
jack
Site Admin

Postby frenchie » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:45 pm

Hi y'all
just ordered my HID kit upon Rolfy's reccomendation, looking forward to fitting it and being able to see again at night and not riding like Mr Magoo 8) lol
had a look at MaXX's today and have to say was very impressed with the difference... :clap:
i will definately be changing both lights...
have priced these kits up on another site and they were retailing them at £255.. managed to get mine for £84.. a bloody bargain if there ever was one i say :D
friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it,
But only you can feel it's true warmth!!!!
frenchie
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby Tigger » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:33 am

:roll) :roll) :roll) :roll) :roll) i told yawll a year magoo :banghead) :banghead) lol

My boing is back .... :P
devil
Tigger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby aj » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:50 am

just orderd some offa this fella :P :roll)

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/xenon-lights-direct

they will be fitted by this time next week...(not by me you understand :P ) look forward to the improvement :clap:

regards :wink)
aj

remember... i know nuffin about everything so don't believe a word i say
aj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby jack » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:09 pm

The same as Mick and me (I) have aj. you won't be disappointed :thumbsup)
The Older I get the Better I Was
jack
Site Admin

Postby Speedy » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:03 pm

If any of the other 'busa owners are considering HID, let me know so we can go halves on the two different sets.
Today is the first day of the rest of your life. But so was yesterday, and look how you messed that up.
Speedy
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

HID

Postby ScaredWitless » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:47 pm

I notice several people have fitted these lights - how much of a conversion is it? Is there a specific kit for the "Bird"? :P
Mine just scares the C*** out of me
ScaredWitless
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Re: HID

Postby Tigger » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:03 pm

ScaredWitless wrote:I notice several people have fitted these lights - how much of a conversion is it? Is there a specific kit for the "Bird"? :P

Not really a specific kit. you need an H7 kit cos xx has H7 bulbs. The hard part is if our xx is FI model as there is precious little space behind the panels for wiring and ballast box. The carb xx has no ram air pipes so loads of room. The only large space on an FI model is under the headlight or the tank. But most kit wiring isnt long enough or under the tank.

Follow rolfy or reefers example. think maxx2 also has them now. Youll never have another bike without. :mrgreen:

devil
Tigger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

HID Lights

Postby ScaredWitless » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:34 pm

Scuse me cos I am a dimmo! :banghead)
Am I right in assuming you can order this kit from the ebay link above and have everything you need to covert the xx ? Bulbs, ballast boxes etc etc?

Scuse us southern softies for not knowing :P
Mine just scares the C*** out of me
ScaredWitless
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Re: HID Lights

Postby aj » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:40 pm

ScaredWitless wrote:Scuse me cos I am a dimmo! :banghead)
Am I right in assuming you can order this kit from the ebay link above and have everything you need to covert the xx ? Bulbs, ballast boxes etc etc?

Scuse us southern softies for not knowing :P

thats about it ...about te find out for myself at anytime now :mrgreen:

aj

aj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Tim » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:23 pm

Soo....you get a kit right...from a Trustworthy bloke in a place called China right...so any probs ya can just ring him up...or call in right...and is there a guarantee like....that's worth the paper it's written on?....call me sceptic...but how long do these bulbs last for?.....and how much is a replacement?.....don't know fook all about these..except that the light is fantastic....just wondering the cost if it goes tits up.....They use very very high wattage too don't they?...Anybody had any problems with it affecting bike alarms for example?...Sat Nav?.... :mrgreen:

You never get owt for nowt.... :) ...well I fookin don't anyway...they usually see me coming a fookin mile off and count their blessings.... :|
Tim
Site Admin

Postby aj » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:09 am

Tim wrote:Soo....you get a kit right...from a Trustworthy bloke in a place called China right...so any probs ya can just ring him up...or call in right...and is there a guarantee like....that's worth the paper it's written on?....call me sceptic...but how long do these bulbs last for?.....and how much is a replacement?.....don't know fook all about these..except that the light is fantastic....just wondering the cost if it goes tits up.....They use very very high wattage too don't they?...Anybody had any problems with it affecting bike alarms for example?...Sat Nav?.... :mrgreen:

You never get owt for nowt.... :) ...well I fookin don't anyway...they usually see me coming a fookin mile off and count their blessings.... :|

35w each bulb..last fer 3000 hrs :-? :P

if yer wasn't such a big daft tvat they wouldn’t see you so easily :mrgreen: :D :D

swy I didn’t buy from china…. Chose a uk supplier…. total cost..£5.00 more 8) :clap:

aj

aj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Tim » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:48 am

aj wrote:
Tim wrote:Soo....you get a kit right...from a Trustworthy bloke in a place called China right...so any probs ya can just ring him up...or call in right...and is there a guarantee like....that's worth the paper it's written on?....call me sceptic...but how long do these bulbs last for?.....and how much is a replacement?.....don't know fook all about these..except that the light is fantastic....just wondering the cost if it goes tits up.....They use very very high wattage too don't they?...Anybody had any problems with it affecting bike alarms for example?...Sat Nav?.... :mrgreen:

35w each bulb..last fer 3000 hrs :-? :P

if yer wasn't such a big daft tvat they wouldn’t see you so easily :mrgreen: :D :D

swy I didn’t buy from china…. Chose a uk supplier…. total cost..£5.00 more 8) :clap:

aj

TIGGER.....TIGGER....can you translate that for me cos I ampt a fookin clue what he's saying....." a bulb costs 35w"?.....what the fooks that all about? :-? :-? :-? :-?
Tim
Site Admin

Postby XXtremist » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:12 pm

Have gone the intermediate route. Replaced the dipped bulb with a H7 Halfords Super Brilliance one, with claimed 50% more light. Larger stores are selling two for price of one at £20. But see also http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/default.asp, who have a bogof offer on pairs of bulbs from £25.

Did not change the main beam, as I find it quite adequate.

Tried the new one after 5pm today, before pitch blackness. Can already see difference. Whereas the standard bulb gave a narrow focused light just in front of the bike, the new one gives a large circular pool. Not only does it extend further, but there is far more spread to the sides.

Just waiting for an inky black night to see how good it really is.
XXtremist
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby MaXX2 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:22 pm

Chris- if ya find the main beam adequate on a dark, unlit country road, move it up to second gear, any inadequacies will become very apparent, very quickly m8 :wink) :P :P :mrgreen:
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Akuji » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:36 pm

MaXX2 wrote:Chris- if ya find the main beam adequate on a dark, unlit country road, move it up to second gear, any inadequacies will become very apparent, very quickly m8 :wink) :P :P :mrgreen:

especially while tryin' to keep up with a FI in wales :wink) :wink)
I've Got Mad Cow, What's Your Excuse??......Denny Crane
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby MaXX2 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:17 pm

Akuji wrote:
MaXX2 wrote:Chris- if ya find the main beam adequate on a dark, unlit country road, move it up to second gear, any inadequacies will become very apparent, very quickly m8 :wink) :P :P :mrgreen:

Not reeeeally- I didn't need second gear for that one :wink) :mrgreen:
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Akuji » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:42 pm

MaXX2 wrote:
Akuji wrote:

Not reeeeally- I didn't need second gear for that one :wink) :mrgreen:

no ya needed em all and ya still fell behind - and there was me two up as well :D :D :wink)
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby MaXX2 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:49 pm

I remember- you are a riding god and my hero :notworthy) rotfl rotfl
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Akuji » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:51 pm

MaXX2 wrote:I remember- you are a riding god and my hero :notworthy) rotfl rotfl

next time i'll really get on it mate :wink)
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby MaXX2 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:26 am

Akuji wrote:
MaXX2 wrote:I remember- you are a riding god and my hero :notworthy) rotfl rotfl

next time i'll really get on it mate :wink)

That'll make a nice change :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Lexx » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:51 am

I have been thinking of converting my FI for some time. I guess with all this positive stuff it is going to happen sooner than latter :D

Anyone fitted a kit to an FI? I read what Tigger said but can someone tell me in English about sighting the ballast box please???
Lexx
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby MaXX2 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:58 am

Think Frenchie's is an FI Le xx , he's just sorted his so mebbe drop him a PM :-?
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Tigger » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:33 am

Lexx wrote:Anyone fitted a kit to an FI? I read what Tigger said but can someone tell me in English about sighting the ballast box please???

Aged version... i locacted speedys on top of the panel under the headlamp unit. stand by the bike, left side, next to clutch lever. peep down the gap where the forks go. bend foreward slightly, put your arm either through the top or round the side and up in front of the rad. just below the bottom bulb is a fair sized space big enough for a clenched fist. and if you use that space, you wont have far to run the wires. take front mud guard off tho, makes it much easier. :-?

devil
Tigger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Next

Return to And The Survey Said....