To HID or not to HID

Products and Services... Just bought a new accessory or product for your bike? Or bought new riding kit? Do you love it, think it's great? Or do you think it's poor, a complete waste of money and wish you never bought it? Or paid for a service, been ripped off and the job was not up to spec? Either way, share your experiences and write ups here! Feel free to name and shame if you so wish!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Postby Lexx » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:41 am

MaXX2 wrote:Think Frenchie's is an FI Le xx , he's just sorted his so mebbe drop him a PM :-?

Thanx Max,I have pm'd Frenchie :-)
Lexx
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Lexx » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:42 am

Tigger wrote:
Lexx wrote:Anyone fitted a kit to an FI? I read what Tigger said but can someone tell me in English about sighting the ballast box please???

Aged version... i locacted speedys on top of the panel under the headlamp unit. stand by the bike, left side, next to clutch lever. peep down the gap where the forks go. bend foreward slightly, put your arm either through the top or round the side and up in front of the rad. just below the bottom bulb is a fair sized space big enough for a clenched fist. and if you use that space, you wont have far to run the wires. take front mud guard off tho, makes it much easier. :-?

I will have a look when me garage warms up - cheers tiggs.
Lexx
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Tigger » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:36 pm

Lexx wrote:
Tigger wrote:
Lexx wrote:Anyone fitted a kit to an FI? I read what Tigger said but can someone tell me in English about sighting the ballast box please???

Aged version... i locacted speedys on top of the panel under the headlamp unit. stand by the bike, left side, next to clutch lever. peep down the gap where the forks go. bend foreward slightly, put your arm either through the top or round the side and up in front of the rad. just below the bottom bulb is a fair sized space big enough for a clenched fist. and if you use that space, you wont have far to run the wires. take front mud guard off tho, makes it much easier. :-?

bring it over an i will show ya. i have the units from the Gullible shallow twats so i can demonstrate how long the leads are so you got a rough idea of how much ya gotta play with. leads are mostly the same length, even on different makes. :mrgreen:

My boing is back .... :P
devil
Tigger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby MaXX2 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:45 pm

Lexx wrote:
Tigger wrote:

lol lol Get out there y'old tart :D :D :D :clap:
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Tigger » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:26 pm

MaXX2 wrote: lol lol Get out there y'old tart :D :D :D :clap:

yeah, ditto, and send me chocolate :mrgreen:

My boing is back .... :P
devil
Tigger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby BiXXer Bob » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:21 pm

Tigger wrote:

I put mine in the gap between the frame and the ram air tubes on either side. Plenty of room, wires reach and no grazed knuckles!!!

Glad to see my posting this was of some use anyway... if only to provoke discussion :wink)
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying.

BiXXer Bob
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby aj » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:04 pm

yes.. well… they are literally brilliant.. :P :oops)

and almost every foooker moves over for you too :clap: :clap:
i say nearly everyone...
cus Sunday night on M50 some tvat refused to move over :roll) … he was just being belligerent...
fast car girlie by his side stuff :banghead) ....

so i switched on the main beam :P

sheeeet.... lit up his car interior with an explosion of light...
he must have thought he was in a tractor beam from an alien spaceship...
you could see refracted light bouncing around too...
you should have seen the look of panic on his face, lit from his centre mirror... :bigshock)

he moved over soon after these observations.. 8)

took him about 3 seconds…. :D

regards :wink)
aj

moral of the story... use main beam sparingly....if at all in traffic 8)

remember... i know nuffin about everything so don't believe a word i say
aj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby dufus » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:55 pm

I got one of reefers hid kits, and yes it's still working :) :)

the service was good and the thing fitted with no probs although at first the spare wire had me thinking "now where does this f*kka go"

Mine is an fi and like others I took the nose cone off and sited it between the ram air tubes on the nose cone shelf

I decided on dipped only as already pointed out they take 3-5 seconds to ramp upto the bright white. On main beam I have a semi conventional bright blue/white standard bulb. Plus the brilliance of the dipped bulb means a second hid would almost certianly not make that much of an improvement.

I did send Reefer pictures of the installation and he did promise to post them, but I suppose he has sold so many that after buying his new place..reefer towers, he may be a bit busy :D

I think what ever you pay try and buy one from someone you feel will try and resolve any issues as many are just car kits then resold individually.

I would say without a doubt, this was the best spend of any for my bird
dufus
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby Akuji » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:16 pm

mine fitted nicely between the ram air tube and the nose cone on the right side - didn't even need to remove the nose cone and the whole thing was fitted in about 30 mins :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I've Got Mad Cow, What's Your Excuse??......Denny Crane
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby speedfreak » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:11 pm

I want one :)

guy before me has fitted a 100watter
There is nothing wrong with the way I ride.

Just stay 15 feet in front or 15 feet behind. You need to be 15 feet to my left or right.

Any closer and your MINE all MINE
speedfreak
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby dufus » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:36 pm

100 watter?

bet within a few short useage times he post's saying

can anyone help, my bike smells of burning fish

That will be the wires under 100 watt heat then :P
dufus
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby speedfreak » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:07 pm

dufus wrote:100 watter?

bet within a few short useage times he post's saying

can anyone help, my bike smells of burning fish

That will be the wires under 100 watt heat then :P

Riding with no lights just in case..... :P

Its Ok people can see the flames if its really dark

:bigcry:
There is nothing wrong with the way I ride.

Just stay 15 feet in front or 15 feet behind. You need to be 15 feet to my left or right.

Any closer and your MINE all MINE
speedfreak
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Para045 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:06 am

I fitted a set of McCulloch HID's from HIDseller the same as the guys on the US .org site, cost me $244AUD delivered to Perth West Aus and they are absolutely awesome. Took a bit of fiddling on my carbed bird as unlike a lot of the guys with FI bikes that fitted the ballasts and igniters behind the instruments they dont fit on analogue gauges :cry) I ended up running an ali bracket between the bolts that hold the headlamp in place and bolted the ballasts to that and cable tied the igniters to the cowling stay cross beam :clap: They are incredibly bright, the low beam would be brighter than the old high beam :eek) I was tossing up whether to fit them to the high beam because of the delay but as I ride mainly on roads out of the city area then I don't have too much problem and they have helped me see kangaroo's a lot earlier than before :-)
CRAIG
1998 BAD-ASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD
Para045
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby Akuji » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:58 pm

Para045 wrote:I fitted a set of McCulloch HID's from HIDseller the same as the guys on the US .org site, cost me $244AUD delivered to Perth West Aus and they are absolutely awesome. Took a bit of fiddling on my carbed bird as unlike a lot of the guys with FI bikes that fitted the ballasts and igniters behind the instruments they dont fit on analogue gauges :cry) I ended up running an ali bracket between the bolts that hold the headlamp in place and bolted the ballasts to that and cable tied the igniters to the cowling stay cross beam :clap: They are incredibly bright, the low beam would be brighter than the old high beam :eek) I was tossing up whether to fit them to the high beam because of the delay but as I ride mainly on roads out of the city area then I don't have too much problem and they have helped me see kangaroo's a lot earlier than before :-)

not a big problem in yorkshire that :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I've Got Mad Cow, What's Your Excuse??......Denny Crane
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Previous

Return to And The Survey Said....