Bikes on trains...

Useful information for you and your bike when touring the UK or further...

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Bikes on trains...

Postby Marathon Man » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:51 pm

Advice please....

My mate and I (he on a Triumph Splint, me on the 'Bird) are off to Monza in May.

It seems the Sprint isn't quite as relaxing to zoom down the autoroutes as the 'Bird is and matey reckons we should load the bikes and us onto a train at Calais, ride the train down to the south of France, and then get back on the bikes for the ride over to Italy (and vice versa on the way back).

Has anyone done this before and / or know how to get details of how to do this (train routes, timetables, costs etc...).

Yours in anticipation of much useful advice....
Marathon Man
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Re: Bikes on trains...

Postby Akuji » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:17 pm

Marathon Man wrote:Advice please....

My mate and I (he on a Triumph Splint, me on the 'Bird) are off to Monza in May.

It seems the Sprint isn't quite as relaxing to zoom down the autoroutes as the 'Bird is and matey reckons we should load the bikes and us onto a train at Calais, ride the train down to the south of France, and then get back on the bikes for the ride over to Italy (and vice versa on the way back).

Has anyone done this before and / or know how to get details of how to do this (train routes, timetables, costs etc...).

Yours in anticipation of much useful advice....

rolfy might be the one to ask about this :mrgreen: :mrgreen: although you might need to crate em up first :D
I've Got Mad Cow, What's Your Excuse??......Denny Crane
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Ladybird » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:12 pm

Ladybird
IXXRA Founder

Postby Akuji » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:34 pm

£400 from calais to nice :bigshock) :bigshock) rather pay the petrol :mrgreen:
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Shuggie » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:41 pm

Along with Studley and a couple of others we did the trip back on the train from Nice to Calais in 2005.
The bikes are ridden on to the lower of 2 decks and fixed to the runners by 2-3 locals with chocks and a load of banding tape.
Like ferries, etc. always oversee the strapping/securing of the bikes in person. Its amazing how well the French understand " YOU'RE NOT FOOKIN TYING THE BIKE THERE!!!!"
Anyway the journey back was ok, apart from sharing the sleeper with a snorer. The train travels along the south coast before making its way back up north.
As far as I can remember it was around £140 for the return journey

P.S
Fer fooks sake duck as you ride the bike on. There was a lad on a Goldwing who had to bend his screen to get it to fit under the upper deck.
Never take life seriously....
Nobody makes it out alive anyway!!
Shuggie
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Akuji » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:07 pm

Shuggie wrote:Along with Studley and a couple of others we did the trip back on the train from Nice to Calais in 2005.
The bikes are ridden on to the lower of 2 decks and fixed to the runners by 2-3 locals with chocks and a load of banding tape.
Like ferries, etc. always oversee the strapping/securing of the bikes in person. Its amazing how well the French understand " YOU'RE NOT FOOKIN TYING THE BIKE THERE!!!!"
Anyway the journey back was ok, apart from sharing the sleeper with a snorer. The train travels along the south coast before making its way back up north.

P.S
Fer fooks sake duck as you ride the bike on. There was a lad on a Goldwing who had to bend his screen to get it to fit under the upper deck

well that's tim fooked then :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Marathon Man » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:43 am

Shuggie wrote:Along with Studley and a couple of others we did the trip back on the train from Nice to Calais in 2005.

P.S
Fer fooks sake duck as you ride the bike on. There was a lad on a Goldwing who had to bend his screen to get it to fit under the upper deck.

Ladybird wrote:This link may help!!

http://www.seat61.com/Motorail.htm

:wink)

Cheers for the advice Shuggie and the link Ladybird.

I've looked into the Motorail train (Motorail) that goes from Calais to Nice which would be perfect. Load up the bikes, go to sleep on the train, and awake in the South of France following morning refreshed for the ride into Italy.

However, it appears that it costs about £400 for two bikes (and I think that's one way) and it doesn't start running until the 18th of May and our trip is planned for the 9th / 10th :banghead:

So, riding down there it is then :bravo:

Thanks for the feedback nonetheless...
Marathon Man
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby FluppeBlxx » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:09 pm

Why not leaving the autoroutes for what they are ?

Riding on the Nationales and Departementales is much more fun and cheaper :-)
FluppeBlxx
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby Marathon Man » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:11 am

FluppeBlxx wrote:Why not leaving the autoroutes for what they are ?

Riding on the Nationales and Departementales is much more fun and cheaper :-)

That's exactly what we're going to do - now I've persuaded matey that the ride down there is all part of the experience.
Marathon Man
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby FluppeBlxx » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:36 am

It sure is ! :-)

Good roads, low traffic and no problems finding accomodation :)
FluppeBlxx
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby Deano » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:48 pm

Did the Nurburgring to Northern Spain in a day last year and it is great fun for a while, then it gets boring when the sun sets but can be done and as you say "it's all part of the experience".

Good luck lads

Deano
On the path to "Old and Wise" you must first be "Young and Foolish"
Deano
IXXRA Founder

Return to Touring with your Bird?