Pyrenees

Useful information for you and your bike when touring the UK or further...

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Pyrenees

Postby Bam Bam » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:17 am

Hi,
we are doing a short tour this year from barecelona t oSan sebastian and then up to St. malo via La Rochelle via Andora and the Pyrenees.

Can anyone who has done this area (Pyrenees) please recommend places to stay, not stay, and where to eat or not eat.

i know there has been a few other threads over this but i can't seem to find them.

Thanks in advance
Chilled to ya beans - Hell yeah!
8-)
Bam Bam
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby MaXX2 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:01 pm

In the Pyrenees themselves, is La Fondere in the sleepy hamletof Castillon de Larboust. It looks like this-

and the view out from there is like this-

This is NOT Ibeeefa :mrgreen: If you have Garmin PM me and I'll email the locations to you. If not long/lat is- N42 48.17 E0 31.963

In Andorra we stayed in Pas De La Casa and saved a good few quid for spending on bike stuff :D we stayed at the La Slalom (N42 32.540 E1 43.937)

It doesn't look like much, but yer bike is overnighting outside a tasty bike shop-

No doubt you'll nip over the mountain into Andorra de la Vella (the city) looking for the cheap bike gear. All the bike shops are on the Aviguda de Santa Coloma, it's roadside parking and below is about central so you can hit the shops on foot (N42 30.228 E1 30.828) :wink) :mrgreen:

Enjoy the Pyrenees m8- they are beeeeeutiful :thumbsup)
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby MaXX2 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:16 pm

PS- don't worry about food-

Every village you'll pass through has got one :wink) :mrgreen:
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Tim » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:07 pm

:clap: :clap: ...that's uncanny...saw the Thread Title and thought to messen....must ask Maxx2 where the pics are from the Morrocco Bimble...got the pics of Africa....but not a fookin jot about when you returned to Civilsation like...in fact,,,, correct me if I'm wrong ( and I can't be arsed to go and research)..but is there the back enhd of the trip write up missing? :-?

:D
Tim
Site Admin

Postby Steve_Cardiff » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:20 am

I won't provide a link here as I don't wanna take the piss. But if you look up my username - Steve_Cardiff on bestbikerroads.com you'll see some of the places i've stayed at.

Le Panoramic in Bagneres De Luchon was brilliantly located and very cheap for it's quality. Great roads to it and from it!

Depends what type of person you are though and what you expect.

If you're the type of person to just want somewhere to lay your head and don't care if you share with donkeys and goats then you're like me - the cheaper the better. If you're the type that must have 5 star then why are you touring by bike?

Stop when you get to somewhere that looks like it might have beds and you'll be fine.
Steve_Cardiff
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby MaXX2 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:40 am

Steve_Cardiff wrote:I won't provide a link here as I don't wanna take the piss. But if you look up my username - Steve_Cardiff on bestbikerroads.com you'll see some of the places i've stayed at.

Le Panoramic in Bagneres De Luchon was brilliantly located and very cheap for it's quality. Great roads to it and from it!

If you're the type of person to just want somewhere to lay your head and don't care if you share with donkeys and goats then you're like me - the cheaper the better. If you're the type that must have 5 star then why are you touring by bike?

Stop when you get to somewhere that looks like it might have beds and you'll be fine.

Why not ride a bike and go 5 star if you want to :-? Sleep in a field if ya want to, curl up under a sheep if it floats ya boat- the point of biking is supposed to be freedom. I grew out of sleeping with farm animals in barns when I was a teenager, which is a good thing for ya Steve- more to go around m8 :mrgreen: I'll stick to hotels though :thumbsup)
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Gruf » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:56 am

Must admit I like to stay in nice hotels when on holiday, like it even better when the porter gets me bike washed lol.

Here's one I stayed in this year in Arabba sorry its only a 3 star but I suppose one has to slum it somtimes :banghead)

http://www.hotelmesdi.com/en/index.html
Gruf
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby MaXX2 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:01 pm

Gruf wrote:Must admit I like to stay in nice hotels when on holiday, like it even better when the porter gets me bike washed lol.

Here's one I stayed in this year in Arabba sorry its only a 3 star but I suppose one has to slum it somtimes :banghead)

http://www.hotelmesdi.com/en/index.html

So--- you prefer to sleep with yaks then :mrgreen:
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Steve_Cardiff » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:57 pm

I wasn't having a go Maxx, it's just that most bikers I meet don't seem to be the 5 star type. Are you? If Bambam is the 5 star type then he wouldn't like the hotels I stay at anyway. That's not to say that i slum it, it's just that I do cheap and cheerful.

If it's got a shower and a bed then i'm happy.
Steve_Cardiff
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby MaXX2 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:27 pm

Steve_Cardiff wrote:I wasn't having a go Maxx, it's just that most bikers I meet don't seem to be the 5 star type. Are you? If Bambam is the 5 star type then he wouldn't like the hotels I stay at anyway. That's not to say that i slum it, it's just that I do cheap and cheerful.

If it's got a shower and a bed then i'm happy.

Take it as it comes Steve- tired is tired and all that. Can't remember staying five star abroad and can't even remember if the Fondere or the Slalom had stars :roll) BUT the Fondere was 32 euros for the double room and the Slalom 29 euros. After that, I wasn't at all bothered m8.

Must be honest though, me canvas, camping Gaz and swamping days are OVER :wink) :D :D
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Gruf » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:25 pm

MaXX2 wrote:
Must be honest though, me canvas, camping Gaz and swamping days are OVER :wink) :D :D

yip better leave the camping to us young uns lol
Gruf
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby MaXX2 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:19 pm

Gruf wrote:
MaXX2 wrote:

Don't you be laughing too loud ma boy- for emergencies I still have me Everest Hurricane Buster 2000--so there :wink) :mrgreen:

35 years young is that tent and never a dry night :mrgreen:
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Tim » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:29 pm

MaXX2 wrote:
Gruf wrote:
MaXX2 wrote:

Don't you be laughing too loud ma boy- for emergencies I still have me Everest Hurricane Buster 2000--so there :wink) :mrgreen:

Try Pampers mate....they're a lot smaller and easier to carry about... :mrgreen:
Tim
Site Admin

Postby MaXX2 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:49 pm

Tim wrote:
MaXX2 wrote:
Gruf wrote:
MaXX2 wrote:

Try Pampers mate....they're a lot smaller and easier to carry about... :mrgreen:

Not necessary with the Hurricane Buster 2000 m8, due to a cunning design feature-- No groundsheet = perfect soak away :wink) :mrgreen:
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Tim » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:17 am

MaXX2 wrote:
Tim wrote:
MaXX2 wrote:
Gruf wrote:
MaXX2 wrote:

Not necessary with the Hurricane Buster 2000 m8, due to a cunning design feature-- No groundsheet = perfect soak away :wink) :mrgreen:

All good and well...but what about the solids? :-?
Tim
Site Admin

Postby aj » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:22 am

Tim wrote:
MaXX2 wrote:

All good and well...but what about the solids? :-?

SOLIDS.. :P he can fooookoff.. don't even allow solids in portapotty :roll)

regards :wink)
aJ

remember... i know nuffin about everything so don't believe a word i say
aj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Bam Bam » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:28 pm

Cheers guys, i knew you would come up with the goods!! :clap: :clap: :roll)

For the record, I'll sleep anywhere, clean bed and shower will do me but sometimes it 's nice to have that bit more. We are looking for clean, safe and welcoming. That's all.
8-)
Bam Bam
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby Bam Bam » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:29 pm

MaXX2 wrote:PS- don't worry about food-

Every village you'll pass through has got one :wink) :mrgreen:

thanks Maxx2 some goof info here. Looks breathtaking.
8-)
Bam Bam
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby Bam Bam » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:32 pm

Steve_Cardiff wrote:I won't provide a link here as I don't wanna take the piss. But if you look up my username - Steve_Cardiff on bestbikerroads.com you'll see some of the places i've stayed at.

Steve_Cardiff, I'll take a butchers. You wouldn't be taking the piss this is what i wanted. It's very difficult to visage it from a map!!
8-)
Bam Bam
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Return to Touring with your Bird?