SW Motec rack and top box wobble

Useful information for you and your bike when touring the UK or further...

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

SW Motec rack and top box wobble

Postby Jevo » Thu May 14, 2009 7:44 pm

I have an SW Motec rack and panniers with Givi cases fitted to my Bird. The top box wobbles all of the time. The fixing plate that is attached to the SW Motec rack is only griping fully on 2 of the 3 fasteners, causing a slight wobble. To add to this the top box seems to also have some play between it and the fixing plate. :banghead)

Does anyone have a fix for this problem. I did think about adding an extra washer to the rack bolt. I would welcome any comments as I am off the Scotland on the bike in June and I would like to have it sorted by then.

Cheers,

Les.
Jevo

As confused as a hungry baby in a topless bar.
Jevo
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Re: SW Motec rack and top box wobble

Postby iainm9438 » Thu May 14, 2009 8:55 pm

Jevo wrote:I have an SW Motec rack and panniers with Givi cases fitted to my Bird. The top box wobbles all of the time. The fixing plate that is attached to the SW Motec rack is only griping fully on 2 of the 3 fasteners, causing a slight wobble. To add to this the top box seems to also have some play between it and the fixing plate. :banghead)

Does anyone have a fix for this problem. I did think about adding an extra washer to the rack bolt. I would welcome any comments as I am off the Scotland on the bike in June and I would like to have it sorted by then.

Cheers,

Les.

Hi Les,

i'm in the last stages of making my own quick release carrier (as i think the motech sits too hih for my liking - sorry :oops) ) but as we are in the same area, i could always pop over and have a look? :-?
i could, if need be, make you somthing up at work that would help out?
:) regards
Iain
Was a 1 of kind xx........RIP Zebra
iainm9438
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Jevo » Thu May 14, 2009 9:46 pm

Thanks for that Iain, I will send you a pm when the weather gets a bit better.
Jevo

Jevo
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby iainm9438 » Thu May 14, 2009 10:15 pm

Jevo wrote:Thanks for that Iain, I will send you a pm when the weather gets a bit better.

yea, no probs :mrgreen:
Was a 1 of kind xx........RIP Zebra
iainm9438
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Poacher » Fri May 15, 2009 7:55 am

Jevo wrote:I have an SW Motec rack and panniers with Givi cases fitted to my Bird. The top box wobbles all of the time. The fixing plate that is attached to the SW Motec rack is only griping fully on 2 of the 3 fasteners, causing a slight wobble. To add to this the top box seems to also have some play between it and the fixing plate. :banghead)

Cheers,

Les.

Les, had the sw motech rack with givi topbox fitted, all 3 of my quick release fasteners were tight, but there is a slight amount of play in the givi box mounts.

With the Motech rack have you got the sw motech fitting plate? This has the addition of a 'key' on bottom of the plate which fits into the rack this makes for a better more secure fixing.

I have now removed mine due to fitting OEM panniers but have fabricated a new rack mount, this too wobbles slightly but nothing to worry about.

Hope this helps

Ray
'The Poacher'
Poacher
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Jevo » Fri May 15, 2009 8:32 am

Thanks for the info Ray, all my plates and racks were bought from SW Motec. I had not noticed so will have a look. Cheers.
Jevo

Jevo
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby Rolfy Dave » Fri May 15, 2009 9:58 am

Just for information...

Mine did the smae...

So I bolted the givi plate to the fitting plate... Job solved

I never rode without the box fitted, so it didnt matter to us whether the plate was removable, and also due to the fact we have a Givi removable carry bag for the Maxia top box.

Best o luck

Rolfy

ps... make sure the spacer washers are fitted correctly on all the bolts on the fitting plate(so that no pressure is exerted on the fairing glass fibre)... Otherwise you stand a chance of splitting the rear of the seat fairing :shock)
A motorcycle can't sing on the streets of a city
Nearly an ex-biker again
Rolfy Dave
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby aj » Fri May 15, 2009 10:07 am

i had a jiggle in mine too :roll) ....iron number fixed it :mrgreen:

regards 8)
aj

remember... i know nuffin about everything so don't believe a word i say
aj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Jevo » Wed May 27, 2009 9:48 pm

Thanks to Iain for looking at my wobble today :oops) I appreciate your assistance. :notworthy)

Thought I would post a picture of the bike with the boxes in place just to show off a bit really. 8)

Looking forward to my Scottish Highlands trip at the end of next week and with Iain's help without a wobbly top box. :clap:
Jevo

Jevo
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby Tim » Wed May 27, 2009 10:14 pm

Jevo wrote:Thanks to Iain for looking at my wobble today :oops) I appreciate your assistance. :notworthy)

Thought I would post a picture of the bike with the boxes in place just to show off a bit really. 8)

Looking forward to my Scottish Highlands trip at the end of next week and with Iain's help without a wobbly top box. :clap:

Hi Jevo...is that trellis and planter still to fit on the right hand side....? :-?

:mrgreen:
Tim
Site Admin

Postby Nev » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:17 am

I has a similar problem with my Nonfango top box on the SW rack. I cured it by using some tap washers. Use a 'T' shaped washer and fit a normal 'polo mint' shaped one onto the shaft for extra packing if needed. (sorry about the non technical lingo, I'm not a plumber or DIY sort of bloke!) Glue these to the adaptor plate, using the numerous holes (you might thave to experiment to get the best result for your top box) It worked very well for me, cost 46p from B&Q and has lasted for 4 years! Got to be worth a go.

Nev
Nev
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby drrummer » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:36 pm

Damn - I was mulling over whether to buy the Kappa/Givi wingrack or the SWMotech rack. This thread has made up my mind. I'm not paying and extra £150 for something that is inferior.
drrummer
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Return to Touring with your Bird?