GB Sticker

Useful information for you and your bike when touring the UK or further...

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

GB Sticker

Postby Scruffygit » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:35 am

Anyone know the regs relating to traveling on the continent and displaying a GB sticker. Does it need to be a seperate large sticker or can I get away with the GB mark on my number plate (NOT one of the pro EU bollox ones)?

Ta.
Scruffygit
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby barsteward » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:40 am

Dunno but I would have thought the No/ plate would be sufficient :-?
barsteward
Q.O.T.W. Moderator
Q.O.T.W. Moderator

Location: Ex of Rainy Todmorden Where???? now just as rainy Walsden

Postby jack » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:12 pm

Yep it is but I don't think anybody bother's now, maybe different if you are involved in an accident tho.
The Older I get the Better I Was
jack
Site Admin

Postby 1137cc » Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:14 pm

if you are riding with luggage stick one on the top box

Iain
1137cc
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Monkfish » Thu May 12, 2005 10:38 pm

EU...regs
We all the same now !
Just done 2000 miles on standard plate ...no incident

Chill out about the minor crap and worry about serious stuff ....like

Good breakdown cover and medical insurance!

Any questions email me....
Do it to them before they do it to you!
Monkfish
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby jack » Thu May 12, 2005 11:01 pm

Seems like good advice to me Monkfish 8)
jack
Site Admin

Postby Shadrack » Thu May 12, 2005 11:04 pm

Thing is, some of us.....well me for a start....haven't ever riden abroad before.
Me fookin sphincter is twitching and I'm only packing Image
Shadrack

Postby Chuff » Thu May 12, 2005 11:08 pm

Shadrack wrote:Thing is, some of us.....well me for a start....haven't ever riden abroad before.
Me fookin sphincter is twitching and I'm only fudge packing Image

not surprised then :D
Chuff

Postby BiXXer Bob » Thu May 12, 2005 11:12 pm

If you're like many Shads, you'll find switching to the wrong side of the road is easy - much easier than you'd imagine. It's when you get back the trouble starts. For months after repatriating from Germany, every time I came across a car coming the other way on the white line, I had a moment of panic cos' I couldn't remember who was right and who was wrong :D :D :D
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying.

BiXXer Bob
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Tigger » Thu May 12, 2005 11:20 pm

Shadrack wrote:Thing is, some of us.....well me for a start....haven't ever riden abroad before.

Ride like ya speak, all over, an ya should be fine :D

My boing is back .... :P
devil
Tigger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Fri May 13, 2005 12:35 am

First time I went across to France I went round the very first roundabout the wrong way - fortunately it was the middle of the night and there was no other traffic around - oh, and it was the roundabout on the UK side going from the service area to the Chunnel - I was just a little ahead of myself :oops) :mrgreen:
TazCBR1100XX

Postby Gizzit » Fri May 13, 2005 9:02 am

BiXXer Bob wrote:If you're like many Shads, you'll find switching to the wrong side of the road is easy - much easier than you'd imagine. It's when you get back the trouble starts. For months after repatriating from Germany, every time I came across a car coming the other way on the white line, I had a moment of panic cos' I couldn't remember who was right and who was wrong :D :D :D

The only time I had a snag when driving in Germany was when one of the blokes I was working with lent me his left hand drive car......... I went round a roundabout the wrong fookin way :oops) :banghead)

But I know what ya mean Bob - No problems at all adjusting to driving on t'other side - but coming home again after 2 years :bigshock) :wtf:
Can't catch me ................... Image
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby REEFER » Fri May 13, 2005 9:02 am

Thing is, some of us.....well me for a start....haven't ever riden abroad before.
Me fookin sphincter is twitching and I'm only packing

shadders...
as long as your eyes are open you will have no problems atall riding abroad..in fact you will wonder how you manage to get about in the UK once your over there
bike are respected so much more over there, overtaking lanes will be clear for 95% of the time and the french will almost write off there cars to pull over to let a bike through
the only thing that WILL get in the way is UK drivers hogging the lane (really!)
a bad road surface over there is like a silky smooth one over here
making "progress" is so much easier and enjoyable and you will see on day one just how crap the roads and system is back here
all banter aside..you got all your doc, you got all the emergency bits and bobs and with X amount of bikes going there aint gonna be much that cant be fixed roadside
once that alarm clock goes off on friday the journey will seem like 10 mins!
theres only 3 things to look our for IMO...
1, hand help speed traps can be done from the other side of the road..even motorways and the plod with the gun will radio through to the plod waiting on bikes 1/2mile up the road on your side

2, Brittish motorists

3, french version of hells angels..especialy when theres about 40 of them and you try to overtake but cant get through in one hit :oops) :oops) ..they really dont like it and will cut you up etc :oops) ..at this stage..grin, bear, and think of the war :mrgreen:
only other thing to add really is keep a cloth(microfibre ones are good!) handy with some visor cleaner (normal window cleaner works ok for me) or you can keep it wet ind just carry it in a plastic bag as there is too many bloody insects over there that chuck them selfs at the visior..so cleanin it to see through is a regular thing lol
Lifes too short to eat cheap food!
top tip..dont enter the blackwall tunnel with 3m headroom when driving 3.02 height!!!!!!
motor home build finished 15 months later!!

Image Image Image Image
REEFER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby REEFER » Fri May 13, 2005 9:06 am

REEFER wrote:
Me fookin sphincter is twitching and I'm only packing

shadders...
as long as your eyes are open you will have no problems atall riding abroad..in fact you will wonder how you manage to get about in the UK once your over there
bike are respected so much more over there, overtaking lanes will be clear for 95% of the time and the french will almost write off there cars to pull over to let a bike through
the only thing that WILL get in the way is UK drivers hogging the lane (really!)
a bad road surface over there is like a silky smooth one over here
making "progress" is so much easier and enjoyable and you will see on day one just how crap the roads and system is back here
all banter aside..you got all your doc, you got all the emergency bits and bobs and with X amount of bikes going there aint gonna be much that cant be fixed roadside
once that alarm clock goes off on friday the journey will seem like 10 mins!
theres only 3 things to look our for IMO...
1, hand help speed traps can be done from the other side of the road..even motorways and the plod with the gun will radio through to the plod waiting on bikes 1/2mile up the road on your side, also if the toll roads are used the police tend to sometimes sit behind an exit toll and if there really pissed off then can check the times on your ticket and nick you for speeding...unlikely tho and a stop for fueling, fag etc overcomes the time problem anyway lol

2, Brittish motorists

3, french version of hells angels..especialy when theres about 40 of them and you try to overtake but cant get through in one hit :oops) :oops) ..they really dont like it and will cut you up etc :oops) ..at this stage..grin, bear, and think of the war :mrgreen:
only other thing to add really is keep a cloth(microfibre ones are good!) handy with some visor cleaner (normal window cleaner works ok for me) or you can keep it wet ind just carry it in a plastic bag as there is too many bloody insects over there that chuck them selfs at the visior..so cleanin it to see through is a regular thing lol
top tip..dont enter the blackwall tunnel with 3m headroom when driving 3.02 height!!!!!!

Image Image Image Image
REEFER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby REEFER » Fri May 13, 2005 9:07 am

WHOOPS :oops)

Image Image Image Image
REEFER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Gizzit » Fri May 13, 2005 9:08 am

:-?
Can't catch me ................... Image
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby jack » Fri May 13, 2005 12:12 pm

WOW Shadders, you've just gone up in my eye's, it's great to see such honesty, no bullshit or macho bravado.

REEFER got it about right except I'd say 1.2. & 3 should all be ENGLISH DRIVERS, if you see a GB car give it a wide berth....the Bastids!

You'll take to it like the preverbal Duck to water, the time to be careful is when you think your accustomed to that way of riding, or when you have a break and get back on the bike, only to find out a mile down the road (if your lucky) that your on the wrong friggin side......yep, done that on more than one occasion :P

Just a thought and please don't shot me down in flames BUTTTTTTTT

Why not identify those that have'nt rode abroad defore and let those that have 'experience' lead the way, untill they feel comfortable.

Like I said Relax, you'll have the time of your life.

Oh and stay the Fook away from the peripherique :banghead) ...although I friggin love it! :ride) :ride)

Ride safe and have the time of your life! 8)
jack
Site Admin

france

Postby Greg 1953 » Fri May 13, 2005 3:23 pm

Toured Normandy last year and the only problem we had was petrol, i.e. getting it, they seem to close for about two hours over lunch and close early at night. We met a bloke touring on a Pan Euro who advised us not to pass a petrol station if we had done more than 50mls. since filling up ! good advice.
Greg
Greg 1953
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Re: france

Postby REEFER » Fri May 13, 2005 4:09 pm

Greg 1953 wrote:Toured Normandy last year and the only problem we had was petrol, i.e. getting it, they seem to close for about two hours over lunch and close early at night. We met a bloke touring on a Pan Euro who advised us not to pass a petrol station if we had done more than 50mls. since filling up ! good advice.
Greg

that must have been fun then :roll)

Image Image Image Image
REEFER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Shadrack » Mon May 30, 2005 9:49 pm

REEFER wrote:
Greg 1953 wrote:Toured Normandy last year and the only problem we had was petrol, i.e. getting it, they seem to close for about two hours over lunch and close early at night. We met a bloke touring on a Pan Euro who advised us not to pass a petrol station if we had done more than 50mls. since filling up ! good advice.
Greg

Almost has much fun as going diagonaly across the whole of France using only roads built before the French revolution :roll)
:wink)
Shadrack

Postby jack » Mon May 30, 2005 10:06 pm

Shadrack wrote:
REEFER wrote:
Greg

Almost has much fun as going diagonaly across the whole of France using only roads built before the French revolution :roll)
:wink)

now thats funny... lol
jack

Postby REEFER » Mon May 30, 2005 10:09 pm

cracking roads tho :D

Image Image Image Image
REEFER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Touring with your Bird?