Lands end to John O Groats

Useful information for you and your bike when touring the UK or further...

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Lands end to John O Groats

Postby Ben » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:55 pm

A mate recently said to me "lets ride from lands end to john o groats" and like a knob I said ok! So, anybody done this fools errand? best route off motorway if possible, places to stay, how long it took, how sore was your ass, general do's & don'ts OR a really good excuse that'll get me out of doing it altogether!

Over to you.......
Ben
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:38 pm

I haven't done it myself, but if you get the weather right I bet it's a great trip and one which I may consider doing at some point in the not too distant future :thumbsup) I'd probably run along the South Coast, up the East Coast, across the top, then return via the East Coast - it's better than just doing it straight up and down and you get more variety of roads to choose from :wink)
TazCBR1100XX

Postby Lexx » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:42 pm

How about Lands end to John o Groats xx relay for charity ???

Something like 10 - 20 xx 's spaced up the country and pass the batton. Now who will get lost????
Lexx
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Tigger » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:10 am

there was a mag did it recently to test the (then new) bmw k1200s. took him 12 hrs 45 mins. just one end to other in one day. will see if i can find it. he blew the gearbox up too. :-?
Tigger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Ben » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:36 pm

Cheers chaps, I think I'll need everybodys address so I can stop & have a pint along the way! Having looked at the map and realising it's a bloody long way we're looking to make one overnight stop (I thought John o Groats was just a bit further on from Manchester!) probably in the lakes somewhere. Anyway I reckon the 'birds just the bike for the job unlike the 600 Bandit my companion's on!
Ben
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby Ben » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:51 pm

O.K. Update time. We're now going to do this stupid thing on the longest day next year in one stint! Any issues with running the bike for that long at reasonably high speeds? oil, chain etc. How much Red Bull should I pack?
Ben
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby the pc doctor » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:03 pm

If you end up doing this let me know, I'll keep you company.

I would have to travel down form the North East first though.

Hang on which way should it be done......

Lands End > John O Groats

OR

John O Groats > Lands End
The above opinion in no way represents the sound of mind. In fact it......em, err, thingy....

oh bummer...... sodin ouch again

Doc the Crock........

:bigcry: :eyebrows) No More Putt Putt's :eyebrows) :bigcry:
the pc doctor
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Tigger » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:16 pm

the magazine did top to bottom. dont forget wherever you start, you gotta go back there so your really doing it twice. :eek)
Tigger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby REEFER » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:52 pm

id be intrested in doing it also but couldnt say for deffo this long away from it :P
as long as the bikes serviced with decent tyres, brake pads etc then there is nothing to worry about doing that distance..its what the bird is best at..eating up miles quickly..only down point is it also emptys fuel into the engine just as quick :bigcry:
REEFER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby BiXXer Bob » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:34 pm

Don't forget.... you have to do double the distance!! :D
Your gaff to John O'Groats to Lands End to your gaff.

just tryin' to help :mrgreen:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying.

BiXXer Bob
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Re: Lands end to John O Groats

Postby Tim » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:02 pm

Ben wrote:A mate recently said to me "lets ride from lands end to john o groats" and like a knob I said ok! So, anybody done this fools errand? best route off motorway if possible, places to stay, how long it took, how sore was your ass, general do's & don'ts OR a really good excuse that'll get me out of doing it altogether!

Over to you.......

Go to www.northerncloggers.com .....they are basically a xx rideout group. Contact Clive....he's done it....if I remember correctly he's added some details/photos of the trip.
Sounds great and something I would like to do when I grow up :P :D
Tim
Site Admin

Return to Touring with your Bird?