Touring en France

Useful information for you and your bike when touring the UK or further...

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Touring en France

Postby Marathon Man » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:12 pm

Ladies & Gentleman,

After a bit of advice really.

A friend and I (he on GSXF600 teapot and me on Blackbird) are planning a long weekend to France in May. Since me mate hasn't ridden abroad or for any great length of time at once before, we are being conservative as to how far down the country we go - hence the (current and sketchy) plan is to catch overnight ferry to Cherbourg on the Thursday, ride down to the area around Lyon on the Friday (easy 7 to 8 eight hours of riding with all day to do it in), find some fab roads around the area to remove the chicken strips with on Saturday and Sunday, and ride back to catch late ferry from Cherbourg to Poole on Monday.

So, question is; does anyone know of any great roads for chicken strip removal near Lyon (would a trip over toward the Alps be worthwhile?!)?

Or, does anyone have any other suggestions for places to base a weekend's worth of riding around, in France, that is within 6 to 8 hours of steady riding from Cherbourg?

Regards...
Last edited by Marathon Man on Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marathon Man
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Tim » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:25 pm

What dates exactly MM ? :)
Tim
Site Admin

Postby Marathon Man » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:42 pm

Probably around the 19th or 26th of May. Am trying to synchronise diaries with matey and our respective other halves...
Marathon Man
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Tim » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:38 pm

Marathon Man wrote:Probably around the 19th or 26th of May. Am trying to synchronise diaries with matey and our respective other halves...

Well can you let me know please?...I may be interested if you don't mind another tagging along.....unless you two just want to be alone :mrgreen:
Tim
Site Admin

Postby Ladybird » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:20 pm

Hey Marathon Man :wink)

Listen, we've all had our first trip abroad, but! Rest assured riding a bike abroad is much easier - I find - than driving a car abroad.....so riding on the right should represent no problem to your friend.

Don't over stretch yourselves....ride as far as you want in one day - find acommodation and stop - enjoy it.....don't let it be a burden...otherwise you won't enjoy it - and it becomes a pain.....keep speaking to each other...if you notice each other getting tired, then stop!

Ride aways to Europe are supposed to be fun....look for a nice road take it! We find, and you have to understand, we are the laid back type that 4/5 hours in the saddle each day is quite adequate....otherwise you don't get to enjoy the destination you are heading for.....distance isn't the defining factor....time in the saddle is.....

Most importantly is to enjoy your adventures with your bike, and your friends.....it all looks 10 minutes away on a map....but in reality it can be somewhat different

:wink)
Ladybird
IXXRA Founder

Postby Hawk » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:46 am

IF you can make it the "Route Napoleon", or any roads around the GORGE DU VERDON. Long way to go for a week end though. Keep it simple stupid.
The road is never long enough, and too many bastid cages.
Hawk
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby REEFER » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:20 pm

allow for fuel, food, water and piss stops lol
you wont get the problem with a 600 in tow but if you open the bird up on the french motorways you can spend as much time refueling as you do riding :D
lastly if your going in may you are more then likely to come across some rain...if it rains..IT RAINS! so waterproofs packed is always a good bit of advice
apart from all that you will have a great time
Lifes too short to eat cheap food!
top tip..dont enter the blackwall tunnel with 3m headroom when driving 3.02 height!!!!!!
motor home build finished 15 months later!!

Image Image Image Image
REEFER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby jack » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:39 pm

Ladybird wrote:Hey Marathon Man :wink)

Listen, we've all had our first trip abroad, but! Rest assured riding a bike abroad is much easier - I find - than driving a car abroad.....so riding on the right should represent no problem to your friend.

Don't over stretch yourselves....ride as far as you want in one day - find acommodation and stop - enjoy it.....don't let it be a burden...otherwise you won't enjoy it - and it becomes a pain.....keep speaking to each other...if you notice each other getting tired, then stop!

Ride aways to Europe are supposed to be fun....look for a nice road take it! We find, and you have to understand, we are the laid back type that 4/5 hours in the saddle each day is quite adequate....otherwise you don't get to enjoy the destination you are heading for.....distance isn't the defining factor....time in the saddle is.....

Most importantly is to enjoy your adventures with your bike, and your friends.....it all looks 10 minutes away on a map....but in reality it can be somewhat different

:wink)

Great advice Mandy :clap:
The Older I get the Better I Was
jack
Site Admin

Postby Hawk » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:17 am

The 1st 2 to 3 hours, with 1/2 hour stops inbetween are for me the easiest, after that the rests tend not to help my tired arse, wrists, thighs. The maximum we did was 15 hours with few proper breaks and that was a nightmare. We had some Russians in our party that wanted to show us the italian alps, well we left Dijon at 07:30 and arrived at about 01:30 at our villa near Grasse. I nearly had a fight with him him en route.

So keep it simple, it's nicer on the body parts.

These Russians thought a fag break was a proper break---I dont even smoke LOL.
The road is never long enough, and too many bastid cages.
Hawk
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Return to Touring with your Bird?