Top Box

Useful information for you and your bike when touring the UK or further...

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Top Box

Postby Akuji » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:51 pm

Have heard the xx develops a high speed weave when a top box is fitted - is this true? Has anyone had any experience of this?

I'm going to the pyrenees in sept and already have tankbag and soft panniers but wanted to fit a givi monorack with 45 litre box.

If the weave is a problem i'll just buy a tailpack and stick to soft luggage. 8)
I've Got Mad Cow, What's Your Excuse??......Denny Crane
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby BiXXer Bob » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:01 pm

Aay Kay,

First off, a correctly fitted top box will always be safer than soft luggage - it can't slip and get tangled with anything. :-?

Next up, emphasis on correctly fitted. A good rack such as the Givi you suggest is vital, you don't want 20-25 kg of topbox waving around at 100mph plus doing it's own thing. :D

Finally, I have a full Givi wing rack, affectionately know as the scaffolding. Not pretty but I've had it with one top box or all three, fully loaded for a week's touring, and never weaved once, ever. 8)

I ride with the box fitted pretty much all the time and I'm convinced it helps the windflow over and around me because i aways suffer less buffeting with it in place. :wink)

There is a prettier alternative to the Givi, but I can't remember what it's called. Give Bezzer a shout cos he's got one.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying.

BiXXer Bob
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Akuji » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:14 pm

Thanks for that - i don't want to go the whole hog and buy hard panniers cos it's not often i use them. Just wanted a top box for touring so i can have a bit more security while the soft stuff is in the hotel room. 8)
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Tim » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:24 pm

Dez.....there were a few threads not too long ago about consternation with weaving/tank slapping when one took ones hands off what you should be holding :bigshock) ...I'm sure it only seemed to happen when a Top Box was involved...but I may well be wrong :-? aj c'mon you had some input into that thread didn't you ?
I occasionally take my hands off and stretch back slightly for a break....cos I'm tall and my back is fooked anyways, but I have never had a wobble , never had a Top Box. :)
Tim
Site Admin

Postby barsteward » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:18 pm

I had the Givi top box on the old xx and never had a problem at spead, I did have the wobble though when removing both hands ......this was cured with a new front tyre!!!.......nothing to do with the top box :wink)
barsteward
Q.O.T.W. Moderator
Q.O.T.W. Moderator

Location: Ex of Rainy Todmorden Where???? now just as rainy Walsden

Postby Akuji » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:38 pm

I do know the Pan-Euro does weave with a top box on. Got a few months to go yet though so i'll try finding more info. 8)
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby jack » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:18 pm

Tour a lot fully loaded and the only twitch I'v had is my arse when I was doing 185, even toke it on the Nurburgring last year and got a respectable time with the bike fully loaded.

Nope no problems at all! 8)
The Older I get the Better I Was
jack
Site Admin

Postby Akuji » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:49 pm

jack wrote:Tour a lot fully loaded and the only twitch I'v had is my arse when I was doing 185, even toke it on the Nurburgring last year and got a respectable time with the bike fully loaded.

Nope no problems at all! 8)

thanks jack - sounds like it must be just the pan then (honda recalled a few cos of plod complaining). I'll stick to the monorack and soft panniers.

Daz
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

If...

Postby Rolfy Dave » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:01 pm

you dont want to use a topbox most of the time, then use the SW Motech rack system. You can leave the mounting plate alone on the bike, and it only takes 10 seconds to put the Topbox plate on and fit the box itself...

We have got all the SW Moteck set up, and have toured Europe and never had a problem, even when having a back tyre blow out at over 90 mph in a contraflow in Germany :P

All you have to remember is to not load toooooo much in the box... No more than 200 kgs anyway..LOL (that allows for the mrs to have a change or twelve of clothes with her...)

Best of luck,

Rolfy
Rolfy Dave
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby jack » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:40 pm

Rolfy Dave's post got me thinking on how I use my topbox, I try to keep things in there that I would use while off the bike, that way I have room for my coat and a change of shoes for walking about in the heat.

Another handy bit of kit is a helmet chain I got free with a bike mag, that allows me more room in the topbox.

Whatever you do don't rely on using the web strapping, always fasten thro the chin guard, had a mate that got is helmet stolen in Spain, they just cut the webbing, it toke him the rest of the day to replace it, and all he could get was a cheapo that did'nt fit too good.

Essentials that I like to tour with
My tankbag, good for carrying loose change, passport, helmet cleaning gear and bit's and bob's I might need,
try to get one that's comfortable to carry over the should, cause that's where it will be when your off the bike.

Hard luggage (my preference) with inner bags, makes life so much easier.

2610 GPS, does'nt stop me getting lost but at least I have something to blame when I do.

Helmet chain.

Hein Gericke air suit, make you look a bit like 'Cyber Man' in Doctor Who but it works great.

These are what makes my touring life easy.

Roll on Spring, can't wait to get a away :ride)

Sorry if this is 'Off Topic'

Hat coat, I'm gone :oops)
The Older I get the Better I Was
jack
Site Admin

Postby REEFER » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:38 am

most people start off with soft luggage because it can be removed and makes the bike look better
if you fit the soft luggage correctly it is a pain in the arse unstraping it all every time you come to your hotel stop then having to refit it all in the morning
so people then move onto hard luggage as it is semi secure left on the bike wthin reason and flick off the key and its off and carryable
so save yourself some money and give stage 1 a miss and just move onto stage 2 and get hard luggage from the start
can vouch for the sw-motech fitting kits also
just use a magnetic or baglux tank bag for things you waanna get to easy and phone camera wallet etc..keep it light and its less to lug when your off the bike :clap:
Lifes too short to eat cheap food!
top tip..dont enter the blackwall tunnel with 3m headroom when driving 3.02 height!!!!!!
motor home build finished 15 months later!!

Image Image Image Image
REEFER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby The Count » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:53 am

and stage 3 is???? :twisted) :twisted) :twisted) :twisted)
If I could find the flippin lid I'd go to sleep !!!
The Count
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby Rolfy Dave » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:10 am

The Count wrote:and stage 3 is???? :twisted) :twisted) :twisted) :twisted)

Buy a wing & get a trailer for it...

Thats next eh Numbits & Ady ??

Cheers,

Rolfy
Rolfy Dave
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Akuji » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:03 pm

REEFER wrote:most people start off with soft luggage because it can be removed and makes the bike look better
if you fit the soft luggage correctly it is a pain in the arse unstraping it all every time you come to your hotel stop then having to refit it all in the morning
so people then move onto hard luggage as it is semi secure left on the bike wthin reason and flick off the key and its off and carryable
so save yourself some money and give stage 1 a miss and just move onto stage 2 and get hard luggage from the start
can vouch for the sw-motech fitting kits also
just use a magnetic or baglux tank bag for things you waanna get to easy and phone camera wallet etc..keep it light and its less to lug when your off the bike :clap:

errr already got stage 1 - sticking to the monorack cos it dosen't spoil the lines of the xx - no scaffolding etc :D :D
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby REEFER » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:42 pm

as for the luggage causing a "weave" dont happen on mine..in fact bike is more planted fully luggaged up doing up to 160mph (test track :oops) )
id say its more of a suspension problem or incorrectly set up to allow for the extra luggage weight that most people that get a weave suffer from...wheelies nice though :D
top tip..dont enter the blackwall tunnel with 3m headroom when driving 3.02 height!!!!!!

Image Image Image Image
REEFER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Akuji » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:10 pm

REEFER wrote:as for the luggage causing a "weave" dont happen on mine..in fact bike is more planted fully luggaged up doing up to 160mph (test track :oops) )
id say its more of a suspension problem or incorrectly set up to allow for the extra luggage weight that most people that get a weave suffer from...wheelies nice though :D

Weight won't be a problem - no beer bellies here, unlike others that shall remain nameless. :-? :-? :D :D 8)
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby REEFER » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:31 pm

but weight may be the problem if you get a weave..if the bikes set up just right for you riding it and you slap an extra say 50 kilos on the back you need to adust the preload and damping rate etc

i had a weave many moons ago on the bird and also my cbr1000, lowering the damping and preload got rid of it..so mine was the opposite way..too hard to begin with

Image Image Image Image
REEFER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby numb bits » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:28 pm

Yep a tweak hear and there on my Ohlins sorted it out even with our lass and full luggage not a problem, only time I had a weave was when shadder's pulled out on me without using the mirror's as I was on a mission at 175 at the time trying to stop hitting the back end of his blue xx :bigshock) was a very arse clenching moment..
numb bits

weave/wobble

Postby ROVERT57 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:27 pm

the only time i experienced any wobble with a fully loaded bike was at low speed 30-40 ishand that was when you took your hands of the bars.
as to the SW motech kit do you always take off the whole carriers with the cases when stopping overnight or just the cases,I have the lockable attaching thingies.
ROVERT57
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby Hawk » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:18 pm

The weaving is at low speeds when you take your hands off the bars. And the Givi top box fitted is good for 175 mph, I know coz I did on the way back from Assen. (no bull)

Keep yer hands on the bars and you are laughing. 8)
The road is never long enough, and too many bastid cages.
Hawk
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Return to Touring with your Bird?