autocom

Useful information for you and your bike when touring the UK or further...

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

autocom

Postby REEFER » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:35 pm

looking into possible getting an autocom unit :bigcry:
so a quick full on guide to the diffrent models would be nice please :)
REEFER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Akuji » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:31 pm

might be wise asking around first reef - in case nobody wants to talk to ya while out :ride) might be a waste of money :twisted) :mrgreen:
I've Got Mad Cow, What's Your Excuse??......Denny Crane
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Shlink » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:44 pm

I bought the Active 7 Smart last year (new models this year) and it works very well. Sound quality impressive even at high speeds. Very sensitive to positioning: if you position the earphones properly (takes a bit of experimenting initially), they work extremely well with little or no wind noise cutting in. Two minor problems Meeshy and I had: the velcro doesn't stick to the lining of my helmet, an OGK (fook knows what it's made of), which meant I had to reposition the earphone every time I took off the helmet and put it back on... big pain in the arse. Meeshy's helmet is a snug fit and found the earphone uncomfortable against her ear after a while. Can't fault it for sound quality though.
If assholes could fly, 10 Downing Street would be an airport.
Shlink
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby REEFER » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:29 pm

ta shlink :clap:
i will be using the noise canceling earpieces anyhow as i found those velcro in bits a pain in the ass too
REEFER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Mortis » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:54 am

I bought one of those £5 jobbies from Lidl the other week and it does the job.

Mortis

tight Yorkshireman :mrgreen:
I'm not mad but I am
Mortis
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby barsteward » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:53 pm

Proud of yer Mortice :D :D .....but you get what you pay for :wink) ...Still in the throws of setting up my active7 pro...one piece of advice at this stage, if you intend to bike mount your autocom don't go for the pro or the equivalent. The only difference between the pro and the active is the pro is portable so will run off batteries.
barsteward
Q.O.T.W. Moderator
Q.O.T.W. Moderator

Location: Ex of Rainy Todmorden Where???? now just as rainy Walsden

Postby Black Knight » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:52 pm

barsteward wrote:Proud of yer Mortice :D :D .....but you get what you pay for :wink) ...Still in the throws of setting up my active7 pro...one piece of advice at this stage, if you intend to bike mount your autocom don't go for the pro or the equivalent. The only difference between the pro and the active is the pro is portable so will run off batteries.

There is another slight difference mate.

I bought a pro, a friend of mine bought an active. Both of us hardwired into the bike.

We also purchased some kenwoods and a special lead ( im not sure the part number) which allows you to power the radios, through the autocom which is powered from the bike.

The benifit is you are not having to carry chargers around with you when touring.

The particular lead, is essentially a dummy battery with the input/output conectors attached. It will only work with the Pro model. It does not work with the Active model.

We ended up returing his Active to the shoop and paying an extra £30 or so quid for a Pro model.

Rick.
Black Knight
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby barsteward » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:48 am

:clap: :clap: :clap: Thanks Shlink I to have bought the Kenwood PMR and the lead came with it....not sure whether it charges it or not though :-?
barsteward
Q.O.T.W. Moderator
Q.O.T.W. Moderator

Location: Ex of Rainy Todmorden Where???? now just as rainy Walsden

Postby Mortis » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:59 pm

barsteward wrote:Proud of yer Mortice :D :D .....but you get what you pay for :wink) ....

I know but at £5, I can throw it away if it mucks up! As I don't listen to music when travelling (you lose all perception of what's around you I find), I only need the intercom to talk to her who must be obeyed so £5 is the most i'm prepared to pay :mrgreen: .
I'm not mad but I am
Mortis
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Return to Touring with your Bird?