Luggage at last

Useful information for you and your bike when touring the UK or further...

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Postby Tigger » Sun May 07, 2006 2:31 am

Shlink wrote:Best alarm ever, Scottish rottweiler glued to bike... someone should patent that and sell it!

bit of a shite when it wants to go tho eh einstein :mrgreen:
Tigger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby ajr » Sun May 07, 2006 12:17 pm

Shlink, they look great, have you a picture of the bike with the bags off and any scaffolding left on. I'm deliberating whether to go for the motech or givi fitting kit, the less left on the bike the better.
ajr
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby Akuji » Sun May 07, 2006 3:14 pm

ajr wrote:Shlink, they look great, have you a picture of the bike with the bags off and any scaffolding left on. I'm deliberating whether to go for the motech or givi fitting kit, the less left on the bike the better.

just park up in sheffield - there will be a lot less left on the bike when you get back :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I've Got Mad Cow, What's Your Excuse??......Denny Crane
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Shlink » Sun May 07, 2006 7:44 pm

ajr wrote:Shlink, they look great, have you a picture of the bike with the bags off and any scaffolding left on. I'm deliberating whether to go for the motech or givi fitting kit, the less left on the bike the better.

I'll take some shots with luggage off tomorrow and will post them on this thread. Quite easy to remove and put on which is why I chose them after much deliberation. So far very pleased with them.
If assholes could fly, 10 Downing Street would be an airport.
Shlink
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Tigger » Mon May 08, 2006 2:31 am

MaXX2 wrote:
Shlink wrote:funny how when the weather's nice, going to the doctor ceases to be necessary. There are no lives to save, and yet I'm couped up in here on a marvellous day :banghead) :banghead)

Ne'er mind Shlink, you were there for yer people in case the worst happened :clap: :wink) Dignified, Dutiful, Noble, in fact a real upright pilloch of the Community :D :D :D

tigger to the rescue, DOH, which pillock cant spell PILLOCK, DOH :D :D
Tigger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Mortis » Mon May 08, 2006 12:59 pm

Those "keyless" panniers are great. I bought a set off e-bay which were meant for a friend but he went and bought his own at the same time so he didn't want them (long story). Anyway, it means I now have two "keyless" panniers and three of the standard type. I used them for the first time this weekend to go to a show in Somerset and they are great. Pack them as normal and then shove all the small items and those needed at the top so you can get to them without undoing the lid. Brilliant idea and they will now be my main paaniers. I may even sell my other set...
I'm not mad but I am
Mortis
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby Ladybird » Mon May 08, 2006 5:06 pm

Shlink

The luggage is absolutely stunning.....would you mind if I use those pic's on the new luggage section which is currently under construction?

please, pretty please?

:wink)
Ladybird
IXXRA Founder

Postby Shlink » Mon May 08, 2006 8:21 pm

Be my guest LB. Can email them to you if it's easier.
Shlink
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Shlink » Mon May 08, 2006 8:38 pm

AJR, sorry I didn't get the chance to take pics of SW Motechs with panniers off today, will do so tomorrow and post.
Shlink
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Re: Luggage at last

Postby SPF 0 » Mon May 08, 2006 10:03 pm

I'm curious as to how bag that prominently feature the word "keyless" are secured?
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."

'02 XX
SPF 0
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby Akuji » Mon May 08, 2006 10:05 pm

:-? :-? :-?
I've Got Mad Cow, What's Your Excuse??......Denny Crane
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Re: Luggage at last

Postby Shlink » Mon May 08, 2006 10:19 pm

SPF 0 wrote:I'm curious as to how bag that prominently feature the word "keyless" are secured?

Three digit combination lock, e.g. briefcase or suitcase lock.
Shlink
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby SPF 0 » Mon May 08, 2006 10:27 pm

Neat idea!
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."

'02 XX
SPF 0
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby jack » Tue May 09, 2006 1:14 am

The keyless only applies to the side of the pannier, as for the whole security its a seperate lock which is a key.
jack

Postby Shlink » Tue May 09, 2006 9:14 pm

pics done this evening as per ajr request. took loads of shots from different angles but will post 4 (big enough as it is). I've reduced size, but if you want the originals, or other angles, let me know and I'll email them. The fixing plates come off within seconds using a coin on the quick release bolts, very handy and convenient if you don't fancy pretty much permanent scaffolding on bike.

Shlink
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby ajr » Mon May 15, 2006 3:23 pm

Thanks Shlink, by coincidence I saw a Bird with the topbox mount at the NW200 Saturday. They certainly look neat and by the sound of it very easy to remove. I'll order, where did you get them from?
ajr
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby Shlink » Mon May 15, 2006 7:31 pm

Got them from http://www.bykebitz.co.uk but after I'd ordered I got a quote from http://www.touringbiker.com which was a bit cheaper :banghead)
Shlink
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Tigger » Tue May 16, 2006 4:09 am

All bling`d an shlink wrapped an ready to go :mrgreen:
Tigger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Tim » Tue May 16, 2006 10:41 am

Keep trying Tigg...ya doin fine :mrgreen:
Tim
Site Admin

Postby Mortis » Tue May 16, 2006 12:26 pm

As much as that lot looks neat and tidy and being a tight git Yorkshireman, I find it just a tad expensive! Is the price of the rack plates included in the mounting kit? I still make it around £260 plus for the full monty. Also, if the plates are only held on with a quick release catch, can the plates be taken off with the panniers still attached to them? If so, this is a major security risk!!!

I'll stick with the scaffolding of the wingracks for now...
I'm not mad but I am
Mortis
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby Tim » Tue May 16, 2006 2:55 pm

Well....I've seen loads of different luggage systems now.....and they all look like sheeeeeeeiite. Standard Blackbird looks sooooooo good. Owt else is crap...to me anyways. 8)
Tim
Site Admin

Postby Tigger » Wed May 17, 2006 1:57 am

Tim wrote:Well....I've seen loads of different luggage systems now.....and they all look like sheeeeeeeiite. Standard Blackbird looks sooooooo good. Owt else is crap...to me anyways. 8)

you stick to your twat mate :mrgreen:
Tigger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby trophychap » Sat May 27, 2006 4:15 pm

Thanks Reef. I've got a triboseat on the Fazer. Extremely effective, but after a few months and relatively short mileage it looks very worn and tatty so they're not made to last.

Er??????????????

We have had these on both bikes for the past 3 f not 4 years. We have done 1000's of miles 2 up, don't hang around (ask Reefer!) and neither is showing any sign of wear whatever. I did slide around one hell of a lot on the Bird seat as I am (reasonably) slim and have acres of room (even with the top box and backrest)

Have just been out to have a look in case I am going potty - no, they both look brand new.

The only explanation I can think of for yours failing, is when one mounts the beastie if one's boot toecap should scrape the tribo, it immediately grabs it - just like what it says on the tin - so are you sure it isn't your sharp toenails that wrecked it?

Jenny

And to Tim, who thinks the bike looks awful with any kind of luggage, I would just like to say - why purchase a Sports/TOURER then, if you are not going to TOUR as well as just blat? cos if you are going to tour, then you will need luggage. Why not buy an out and out sports bike and just leave us that wants to Sports/Tour, to get on with it.

Even I think the Givi scaffolding (like what we have) spoils the look of the bike when the panniers are off however it's a means to an end - just like every luggage system - and FWIW I think the Motech one looks about the neatest I've seen, although I have a feeling they don't do a topbox big enough to get both our helmets in - which was one of the criteria in our case. Once you're on the bike the grin soon reappears! - and I must say I have been glad of the scaffolding on more than one occasion when I have not been paying attention on the back and have felt it necessary to grab hold of something!
Never ride faster than your angel can fly
trophychap
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby Tim » Sat May 27, 2006 5:02 pm

trophychap wrote:
And to Tim, who thinks the bike looks awful with any kind of luggage, I would just like to say - why purchase a Sports/TOURER then, if you are not going to TOUR as well as just blat? cos if you are going to tour, then you will need luggage. Why not buy an out and out sports bike and just leave us that wants to Sports/Tour, to get on with it.

I use soft luggage when I have to...I meant the hard luggage systems sorry.

I bought the bike cos I liked it so much.. I didn't go out looking for a Sports/Tourer..I wanted a Blackbird. ...doesn't matter what label you want to give it.

Wouldn't have thought I'm a sports rider either...fook the label..I wanted a xx and I use soft luggage when I need to .

What you mean " leave us that wants to Sports/Tour, to get on with it"..?...who's fookin stopping you ya soft bugger.

:D hiya
Tim
Site Admin

Postby REEFER » Sat May 27, 2006 5:07 pm

i have a givi v46 thingy..well handy as i lock the helmet in it when i leave the bike :mrgreen:

keys..jacket...LID..gone oops lol howdy
Lifes too short to eat cheap food!
top tip..dont enter the blackwall tunnel with 3m headroom when driving 3.02 height!!!!!!
motor home build finished 15 months later!!

Image Image Image Image
REEFER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

PreviousNext

Return to Touring with your Bird?