New lunatic in the assylum............

This particular area is hopefully designed to make you a little more comfortable in your early days with us - ask questions about the forums and incorporates How Do I subjects

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

New lunatic in the assylum............

Postby carlmt » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:01 am

Evenin' all,

Not long joined the forum and have spent a bit of time trawling around the various subjects to get an idea of the lay of the land............

Not got a 'Bird yet, but is on the cards.................want to learn as much about them as possible to get the best I can afford. Questions like: Which is better, carb breathing or FI?? Is age a problem (for the bike!!! :roll) ) or are high milers?? What should I look out for or be wary of when looking over a likely candidate??

Dont need to ask about colour - it HAS to be black :thumbsup) :rockon) :rockon) :rockon) and must have the original design exhaust cans (perfect symmetry :thumbsup) ).

Anyroad - been riding since I was 17 (now 48) and not long got shot of a Triumph Trophy 900 (siezed engine :banghead) ). Currently commuting on a PCX to keep the fuel bills manageable..........but miss a proper bike.................and the xx has been my 'dream bike' for years :notworthy) :notworthy) .

Looking forward to gleaning as much info from the experts as possible - cheers in advance :thumbsup) :thumbsup)

Carl
carlmt
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Location: Gillingham, Dorset (but wishin he was 'ome in the land of song, sheep and odd shaped balls!!!)

Re: New lunatic in the assylum............

Postby Tazcbr1100xx » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:16 am

If it's an expert you're looking for I'll stay well out of it, but welcome anyway :thumbsup)

I'd like to give you a word of advice though - don't take any notice of the 'experts' - they haven't got any more of an idea than the rest of us, they just think they have :mrgreen:
Sorted!
Tazcbr1100xx
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:11 am

Hi Carl. Welcome to Ixxra :thumbsup)

Not much help from Taz eh, well not to worry...I'm here now. :thumbsup)

You really should get a carb'd Fi model with very high low miles, that has had the loom fix done and wearing a nice pair of Avon CT2 Angel Maxxis set at 32 PSI. Wavey discs are mandatory along with a fugly top box and scottoiler to keep ya rear wheel rim covered in oil and shite, weel, it does save a hunnerd quid over 5 years in chain wear. Fit some Givi luggage on the right side and a soft pannier on the left for when you're touring as it makes it easier to slide on and off. You'll want a halogen 50 million candlepower light to the top of your top box and for good measure it's advisable to fit one to the front too...top of the screen is preferable. Make sure she's got 42w Crisp 'n' Dry in her and don't believe them that are using the new Olivio 35w 10. It's crap and you'll end up burning ya valve seats and ya chips ( I fookin love chips me). Change the bars to Renthal straights...Jaws does a wonderful conversion kit, fit a peg lowerering kit; lower the seat and change your suspension immediately...thus turning the Bird into a complete bag of shite. Oh, and most importantly Carl..as soon as you get her home....get her SORN'd. :thumbsup)
That way, you'll save all that money you'd have spent on petrol trying to get 181.769 miles to a tankfull, plus you've no need to spend anything on helmets and stuff like that. You will be able to lift the cover every day
( oh, you must have a bike cover...all bikes that are SORN'd live under bike covers) and look at her beautiful lines without ever having to worry about getting wet or meeting other road users. Basically it's a win win situation for you here.

I could go on with more valuable advice, but I'll now stand aside and let the rest help you.

:thumbsup)

Good luck with your search. It won't take long. :ride)

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Simmo » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:06 pm

welcome to Ixxra and the nuthouse Carl, great choice of colour :thumbsup) (when you get it)

simmo
Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten
Simmo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Poacher » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:32 pm

Simmo wrote:welcome to Ixxra and the nuthouse Carl, poor choice of colour :thumbsup) (when you get it)

simmo

There you go simmo fixed it for ya :thumbsup)

And a big welcome from me too :clap:
'The Poacher'
Poacher
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby barsteward » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:00 pm

Tazcbr1100xx wrote:If it's an expert you're looking for I'll stay well out of it, but welcome anyway :thumbsup)

:mrgreen:

If however you need any advice from an ex spurt, then Taz is yer man. :mrgreen:

Oh, and welcome :wink)
barsteward
Q.O.T.W. Moderator
Q.O.T.W. Moderator

Location: Ex of Rainy Todmorden Where???? now just as rainy Walsden

Postby bluegas » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:19 pm

T.Murphy wrote:Hi Carl. Welcome to Ixxra :thumbsup)

Not much help from Taz eh, well not to worry...I'm here now. :thumbsup)

You really should get a carb'd Fi model with very high low miles, that has had the loom fix done and wearing a nice pair of Avon CT2 Angel Maxxis set at 32 PSI. Wavey discs are mandatory along with a fugly top box and scottoiler to keep ya rear wheel rim covered in oil and shite, weel, it does save a hunnerd quid over 5 years in chain wear. Fit some Givi luggage on the right side and a soft pannier on the left for when you're touring as it makes it easier to slide on and off. You'll want a halogen 50 million candlepower light to the top of your top box and for good measure it's advisable to fit one to the front too...top of the screen is preferable. Make sure she's got 42w Crisp 'n' Dry in her and don't believe them that are using the new Olivio 35w 10. It's crap and you'll end up burning ya valve seats and ya chips ( I fookin love chips me). Change the bars to Renthal straights...Jaws does a wonderful conversion kit, fit a peg lowerering kit; lower the seat and change your suspension immediately...thus turning the Bird into a complete bag of shite. Oh, and most importantly Carl..as soon as you get her home....get her SORN'd. :thumbsup)
That way, you'll save all that money you'd have spent on petrol trying to get 181.769 miles to a tankfull, plus you've no need to spend anything on helmets and stuff like that. You will be able to lift the cover every day
( oh, you must have a bike cover...all bikes that are SORN'd live under bike covers) and look at her beautiful lines without ever having to worry about getting wet or meeting other road users. Basically it's a win win situation for you here.

I could go on with more valuable advice, but I'll now stand aside and let the rest help you.

:thumbsup)

Good luck with your search. It won't take long. :ride)

wish I had this much advice offered when i joined the forum :rolleyes: welcome anyway :thumbsup)
bluegas
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby carlmt » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:13 pm

Yer barkin'..........the lotta ya lol lol lol lol But i'll stick around - it seems like my kind of nuthouse screwy screwy screwy .

Many thanks for the warm hearted welcomes all :thumbsup). Been readin' much about the ride-outs at touring.........my god I need to get that bike NOW :pullhair :pullhair :pullhair .

Tim - I have come to the conclusion that you must be the barmiest of all the nutters here......with a whole possy of inmates very close to taking your crown!!!!!

I shall savour your advice when looking for me bike - priceless that is :thumbsup) :thumbsup). You dont get that kind of detail and plain honesty in Which?

Right - I'm off to figure out which way round the bike cover needs to be for the 'Great Cover-up' when it happens, and to gen up on all the rules and regulations relating to SORN - I can see that this is very important to you guys so I dont want to get it wrong and look an ass (well, more of an ass than I already do anyway :dunce) :dunce) :dunce) ).

Ta ta for now.........me chips are getting cold.........
CT

PS Under me avatar, it says I have a 'Carbon Look Member'...........How did you guys know?????????????
carlmt
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Location: Gillingham, Dorset (but wishin he was 'ome in the land of song, sheep and odd shaped balls!!!)

Postby Mister Majestik » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:24 pm

CT

don't worry about the look,
some on here are carbon dated :thumbsup) :thumbsup)
Mister Majestik
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby MaXX2 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:51 am

Howdo Carl--- warm welcome to ya :thumbsup)
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby TRIPPO » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:31 am

Ya have sussed us lot out aint ya Carl :mrgreen:

Any roads yer more than welcome on here pal :thumbsup) :thumbsup) :thumbsup)

Yer wrong about one thing though :banghead) SORN an XX is only needed to be done if its a gleaming shiny maticulously maintained sexy silver one lol lol

Oh......Tim really is beyond foooookin help jawdropping
There,s only one good ride!!!!!
One that you return home safely from!!!!! Make sure you do!!!!!
Casualty is full of people who thought they new better

Regards John

TRIPPO
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Location: Coventry At the Weekends!!!! In the week....Fooooook no's

Return to New IXXRA Members