Low speed control and linked brakes

Share your riding hints and tips with fellow riders.

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs

Re:

Postby johnpdavidson » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:09 pm

BiXXer Bob wrote:I once did a slow riding course organised by the IAM (yes, on me 'Bird). As well as learning to turn it tighter than I ever thought possible, I learned a very simple technique that works really good after a bit of practice. It works for U turns, but it also works for those awkward, off-camber-emerging-from-a-junction-turning-right situations.

The police qualified instructor showed us: start with the bike stationary (bleedin' obvious), clutch in, first gear engaged, left foot down and right foot on the brake, no front brake lever (most of the slow part of the course banned the use of the front brake lever completely). Next raise the revs to a normal (not wheelie) level for pulling away. Let the clutch out until it just begins to bite. Now, keep the clutch and throttle steady. don't change either. Instead, control the speed you move off with the rear brake. If you're U turning, move slowly forward controlling the speed with the rear brake, not the throttle or clutch. If you're pulling out of a junction control your speed with the rear brake until you're straight and upright, then come off the brake, clutch out anf off y' go. The theory is that the engine spinning at a couple of thou' revs generates some of the gyroscopic stability that you get from the wheels when you're going faster but is missing when going slowly. It takes a bit of practice but it soon comes and the bike feels much more settled and stable.

Find an empty car park to try it out. You'll feel like a tool but it's worth it.

when i did my DAS two years ago i was taught exactly the same technique. only one thing to add, pick a spot over your shoulder well into the distance and look at it, you will follow the way you are looking, never look at the kerb as you will then no doubt hit it!
johnpdavidson
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Re: Re:

Postby aj » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:49 pm

johnpdavidson wrote:
BiXXer Bob wrote:I once did a slow riding course organised by the IAM (yes, on me 'Bird). As well as learning to turn it tighter than I ever thought possible, I learned a very simple technique that works really good after a bit of practice. It works for U turns, but it also works for those awkward, off-camber-emerging-from-a-junction-turning-right situations.

The police qualified instructor showed us: start with the bike stationary (bleedin' obvious), clutch in, first gear engaged, left foot down and right foot on the brake, no front brake lever (most of the slow part of the course banned the use of the front brake lever completely). Next raise the revs to a normal (not wheelie) level for pulling away. Let the clutch out until it just begins to bite. Now, keep the clutch and throttle steady. don't change either. Instead, control the speed you move off with the rear brake. If you're U turning, move slowly forward controlling the speed with the rear brake, not the throttle or clutch. If you're pulling out of a junction control your speed with the rear brake until you're straight and upright, then come off the brake, clutch out anf off y' go. The theory is that the engine spinning at a couple of thou' revs generates some of the gyroscopic stability that you get from the wheels when you're going faster but is missing when going slowly. It takes a bit of practice but it soon comes and the bike feels much more settled and stable.

Find an empty car park to try it out. You'll feel like a tool but it's worth it.

when i did my DAS two years ago i was taught exactly the same technique. only one thing to add, pick a spot over your shoulder well into the distance and look at it, you will follow the way you are looking, never look at the kerb as you will then no doubt hit it!

this is the technique i've been advocating for years :ride)
...learned initially off roading (motocross) as a lad…essential on loose stuff but works on the road too :rockon)

recalled the practise again when I acquired the bird after talking to a police rider associate… :notworthy)
It helps stability in most cornering situations especially on tightening bends... 8)
but remember... power on all the time...feather rear brake to regulate speed.. :P

down side is the rear can get a bit hot and pads will wear quicker... jawdropping

well worth the practising/learning. lol

regards :wink)
aj

remember... i know nuffin about everything so don't believe a word i say
aj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Low speed control and linked brakes

Postby Titanblackbird » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:39 pm

Good read this thread .
Titanblackbird
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Re:

Postby Tazcbr1100xx » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:09 pm

Titanblackbird wrote:Good read this thread .

Yeah - it reminds people of what a numpty they've been from time to time too :oops)

MaXX2 wrote:Only time I had a rear lock-up under braking was on me own (unusual for me) and on a wet road. I was going too fast toward a bend and overcooked the front lever :oops)

I'm sure I've heard that before somewhere :-?
Sorted!
Tazcbr1100xx
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

I didn't like to say.

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:21 pm

Tazcbr1100xx wrote:
Titanblackbird wrote:Good read this thread .

Yeah - it reminds people of what a numpty they've been from time to time too :oops)

MaXX2 wrote:Only time I had a rear lock-up under braking was on me own (unusual for me) and on a wet road. I was going too fast toward a bend and overcooked the front lever :oops)

I'm sure I've heard that before somewhere :-?

So cruel but yet so true.

:clap:

lol

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Previous

Return to Riding hints and tips