Counter Steering

Share your riding hints and tips with fellow riders.

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs

Re: Counter Steering

Postby strider » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:04 am

I cant believe so many of you dont understand the importance of being able to countersteer , not naturally because this is slow but just be able to run up to a corner and tip in or better still be able to tackle a tightening radius corner without standing the bike up or hittting the brakes or chopping the throttle.

Plain and simple you cannot corner a bike inless you countersteer,

Learn how to do it and you will fing thet the B Bird feels even lighter .

Before you flame me do some research.
strider
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby Tim » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:51 pm

strider wrote:
alex_sheldon wrote:not sure if i counter steer as may do it naturally???? but when my boots scrape the floor as i'm turning ( duh, obviously! ) does that mean i'm leaning too far or counter steering? ot just plain going too fast??

You may be unknowingly pushing the bike underneath or away from you when cornering, This often happens if you have straight arms and dont look far enough through the corner

alex.....means ya feet are in the wrong place on the pegs.... and what is the point of wearing your boots out? screwy . lol

Strider.......how often...?..Never heard of this as a reason other than when we used to tram about up on the shale tips as kids

strider wrote:I cant believe so many of you dont understand the importance of being able to countersteer , not naturally because this is slow but just be able to run up to a corner and tip in or better still be able to tackle a tightening radius corner without standing the bike up or hittting the brakes or chopping the throttle.

Plain and simple you cannot corner a bike inless you countersteer,

Learn how to do it and you will fing thet the B Bird feels even lighter .

Before you flame me do some research.

How have you come to the conclusion that there are soooo many of us on IXXRA that don't understand the importance of being able to countersteer...? :roll)

I can remember :roll) zzz zzz yea, in the late 70's discovering a Motorsickle magazine that thankfully didn't have Ogri in it :banghead) ..called Motorcycle Sport...thin, glossy but really good articles in them...travelogue type things too...stuff to set ya thinking anawl....remember there was a long standing discussion about FF ( feet forward) bikes and their development zzz zzz...and also this thread has jolted my memory...a long standing discussion via letters to the Editor and heated ones too...about counterfookinsteering for fooks sakes...that used to get me wondering then..."why the fook are there heated discussions about the "theory" of countersteering?"....what's that all about... :-? At the time I thought..." Oh yea !... funny seeing something written out as a "theory" about summat that you do without thinking ...cos if you thought about it you'd have come off by the time you tried it
duh
strider wrote:Plain and simple you cannot corner a bike inless you countersteer
:clap: :clap:

So, err, it's natural then huh?..... :P

strider wrote:Before you flame me do some research

:-? :-? ...why do you think you're going to get "flamed" :-? ...happened before, somehwere else :-? ?...and as for research...If I or any other Blackbird rider has gotta start researching how to ride a fookin motorcycle it's time to hand the keys in and get a fookin Campervan.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I realised after a while that a lot of the contributors were over 50,Beemer Riders/Advanced Motorcyclist/Pipe Smokers...don't like tarring peeps with the same brush but that was my opinion.
I'm getting deja vu..... :ride) :ride)

lol lol
Tim
Site Admin

Postby TRIPPO » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:03 pm

You can fooook off with the campervan cos i aint got a collostomy bag yet lol lol lol bollax to cooooonter steering, :roll) i dont need to go round the twisties any faster than i already do, anyway a lot of peeps probably already do it but dont realise it, :ride) :ride) :ride)

Regards

john xx
There,s only one good ride!!!!!
One that you return home safely from!!!!! Make sure you do!!!!!
Casualty is full of people who thought they new better

Regards John

TRIPPO
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Location: Coventry At the Weekends!!!! In the week....Fooooook no's

Postby rushwind » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:53 pm

So,
am goin round a twisty single track left hander, in 2nd gear, ( in fookin Wales)
1/2 way round , the bastid tightens up,!
cant lean anymore,,,,,,,speed is too slow, ( cos the bend is 270 degrees)
should I countersteer?
rushwind
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby aj » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:29 pm

rushwind wrote:So,
am goin round a twisty single track left hander, in 2nd gear, ( in fookin Wales)
1/2 way round , the bastid tightens up,!
cant lean anymore,,,,,,,speed is too slow, ( cos the bend is 270 degrees)
should I countersteer?

yes... and open the throttle...with a drag on the foot brake :shock) :-? :P
...ohhhh the joy of tightening twisties...luvem lol lol lol ...

regards
aj lol

remember... i know nuffin about everything so don't believe a word i say
aj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Previous

Return to Riding hints and tips