One Man's Route Plan---

Hints tips and general discussion regarding GPS and Satellite Navigations systems

Moderators: MaXX2, jack

One Man's Route Plan---

Postby MaXX2 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:34 pm

This won't be of interest to everybody, but may be helpful to some. I thought I'd just explain how I plan and map a new route, on roads I've never ridden, in countries I've frequently never even been in. There are many other ways and I'd like to hear about them please, but the point of this post is just to encourage some people to give it a go for themselves and then, with a bit of confidence, plan a ride out to be posted in Pit Lane, without feeling compelled to stick firmly to roads and routes they already know well.

My starting point is always the same (and it doesn't involve batteries!)-

The type of map is important. Many of the true 'touring bikers' that I've come across use the Michelin type pictured, but Philips also do a fine range that others find easier on the eye because their colouring is different. Have a look at both in WH Smiffs before you buy. There is a specific reason for the use of these maps , which is that 'roads of outstanding beauty' are clearly highlighted by a green line (I've arrowed examples below).

Basically, before you set off you know that someone has already been there, seen it and thought it special. I've mapped the Pyrenees, Andorra, Southern France and Morocco, as well Hartside, Wordsworth's run etc etc exactly the same way and it works. The only other thing I would say, is that I would trust Michelin insofar as, the roads they call beautiful are just that.

Find a starting point which is reasonably close to the start of the nice roads AND is easy to find. Examples are
the Skipton Little Chef at the junction of 5 main roads or perhaps Bayston Services, where the northern contingent meet up with the locals to get lost in Wales 8) :mrgreen:

Next is the endpoint. Sounds daft, but make sure you have one. Usually this will be th starting point but certainly not always. Touring abroad will mean that each days riding usually ends up at a different place altogether.

Then there's the issue of what's in between. By way of an example would be the Wordsworth run. The plan was an easy one: I wanted as many passes and lakes as possible (which had to include Hardknott and Kirkstone) linked together by nice roads, so it went summat like this;

Job 1- Google "Passes in Cumbria" the Cumbria Tourist Board site was wonderfully helpful, not only naming a bunch of Passes that I'd ridden in parts before, but also giving me road designations and even the photo's included in the post itself.

Job 2- Take the road designations and plot all of them onto the same map. The questions are simple; Are the Passes near together? Can they be easily linked by nice roads? Do any need to be dropped out because they're 'Out on a spurr' somewhere? Does the milage involved look feasible, based on a steady riding Blackbird jockey, with pillion? Try to use as few junctions and turns as possible, people don't get lost on straight roads (errrm usually :mrgreen: ), but map out some hideous MotoGP track in the sticks and you just tripled yer problems on the day. It's not always possible, but it is always welcome.

Job 3- Open MapSource (or TomTom's equivalent) and set up the start point as a waypoint, then click into route mode and get up close and personal when it comes to mapping :| .

To digress for a moment- My two biggest failings with mapping a route were impatience and not checking the end result. The result of that, was as follows. The first piccie is a map showing a route from my old place through Ripponden and out over the tops to Hebden Bridge. Mapped at 2 miles (reasonable) it's an ideal kick off----Until that is I ended up being directed up a God-forsaken farm track

(the second photo) which can only be seen when working from say .5 of a mile. I had to fake the above photo's because I've just upgraded to v11 mapping which is far better but, this quirk in the routing occured every time on the old mapping without fail.

This issue was never a problem when close to home (I knew the roads after all) but half way through a run in a place I'd never been----------Errrm I'd utter those immortal words "Wish I'd brough the GS" or more fashionably "Naaah it's fine ya fookin puffs, greenlaning and bog-hoppin's what the xx was built for" etc etc

The next common fook up I always made, came from the same problem. The route below is a perfectly straightforward dual carriageway run from Keighley to Skipton- no probs

---- until zoomed in: :banghead) :banghead)

Then I find that whilst mapping from too far out (2 miles this time), I've placed a point marker on the opposing carriageway. Garmin has done as it's told taken me to the first available roundabout, u-turned me and taken me back. Not only that, but the next point flag is up at Skipton where I need to be, so Garmin has taken me back to the next nearest roundabout, u-turned me again and set me off back up the same road towards Skipton. Again- not a major problem on a short dual carriageway, but on the M1 or some autobahn somewhere-------------

So then--- back to the point. Working with the map under the left hand and the mouse under the right, carefully create the route in MapSource. The waypoints don't need to be too close together at all, but when you drop a waypoint in, just back-check it quickly to ensure the ol' purple line is on the road you want it on and doesn't drift off to errrr 'save you time'

Job 4- When the route is complete, figure for fuel and stops. On a ride out, I usually account for the first fill up at 70 miles, so locate an appropriate fuel stop at the distance you prefer or the first one available BELOW that distance. Then refuel at 120 mile (140 max) thereafter. As for lunch stops if you don't know any; Google it, ask on the site and work them in. Personally, I prefer fuel to be within say 10 miles of food. That way folks eat, fuel up and can then settle in to a nice focussed, switched on, undisturbed 20 or 30 miles riding before fag stops and leg stretching stuff.

Job 5- You have a route (rather than a map and a faint idea of where you're going). The next thing is following it on the sat nav and leading other riders around it. It's not for me to advise on group riding etiquette, coz I don't tend to use second rider drop offs and other methods of keeping it together. In actual fact, what I do do helps me as well the people behind me. I slow down for each junction (stop if necessary) and stack 'em up. Firstly, no-one gets lost. Secondly, I have time to look at the sat nav screen, listen to the sat nav voice and tie the two together to hit the right turn even in a busy town centre. Don't be rushed at turns. Take yer time, read the road and the sat nav and you've done all you can :mrgreen: .

Importantly--- Understand this!! Your sat nav (and I don't give fook who made it) is going to send you off route every once in a while lol lol . It's unavoidable, it will be annoying but it will happen!! Two things- pull in and just look at the screen. Zoom out or in if you need to, but then do what you need to do to get back on route. Don't be tempted to wing-it and ride miles off course and then (if you're lucky) get back on course and try telling everyone it was planned. If you do that,the day will come (and often frequently) when you're leading a large group of very tired riders around the arse end of nowhere on roads which are unsuitable. So the (purely personal) rule is; If it (or I) fook up- cough to it early and make it right :thumbsup) .

Another thing worth bearing in mind is that some of the bikes behind you may well be running the same route as you are, so they may well know how to get it back to right. No probs, just coz your Garmin's thrown a shoe, let yer mates put you back on track and away you go.

Hope it helps and my thanks to Linda, my secretary, for typing this dictation as a Word Doc to be copied and pasted here today lol lol Bless 'em all eh :mrgreen:
Last edited by MaXX2 on Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Re: One Man's Route Plan---

Postby iainm9438 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:56 pm

great write up maxx..... again :notworthy) :notworthy) :notworthy)

i find that viewing the route in google earth helps as you can see the roads 'in the flesh' and then decide if they are suitable.
Was a 1 of kind xx........RIP Zebra
iainm9438
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Tim » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:09 pm

:clap: :clap: :notworthy) :notworthy) ....great stuff Maxx2....some of us have already learned this the hard way....and now the rest won't... lol lol

...me too Iain... :clap:
Tim
Site Admin

Postby malatay » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:23 pm

Super write up Mick :clap: :clap: Defo banked for future use. :rockon)
malatay
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby Simmo » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:07 pm

Great write up :clap: :clap: :clap: having just got my garmin i'm still trying to work things out (probably why you have had so many downloads of the passes route 5 for me i think :banghead) :banghead) )so i'm off to try and work a route out.

simmo
Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten
Simmo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Tigger » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:48 pm

Nice 1 mick. Well useful m8 8)

My boing is back .... :P
devil
Tigger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby MaXX2 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:56 pm

Tigger wrote:Nice 1 mick. Well useful m8 8)

Well don't just sit there typing--------- fookin' map summat :wink) :mrgreen:

SIMMO- I feel for ya pal. For the first few months of sat nav ownership, I swore, cursed and did beateth me bonce on many a wall. Do persist with it though, the day will come when it all just drops into place and even the odd off-route doesn't bother ya :wink) :mrgreen: Till then though EXPECT PAIN lol lol
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Thu May 09, 2019 11:00 pm

Just fukk off Simone. ...and when you get there then fukk off some more you wanks7tain

When I can get to a PC you will be no more.

Cnuts, utter cnuts

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Return to GPS, Sat' Nav' and Bike Comm's