Tom Tom Vs Garmin

Hints tips and general discussion regarding GPS and Satellite Navigations systems

Moderators: MaXX2, jack

Postby Tim » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:18 pm

jack wrote:Oh Right Si, why didn't you say, if this is an exercise please tell more.

well someones gotta buy Garmin units apart from jack Mr. Green

OK here's one for ya....
"lakes do" cottages....girlfriends Garmin (suport vechile Mr. Green ) tried to set up the garmin..but ended up saying well it can get you to here but after that ask directions Rolling Eyes

tom tom..popped in the post code and it come up unnamed track..but take me up the fooking path to the cottage door Very Happy

tom tom 1
garmin nil poi Mr. Green

Just a couple of questions;

1. What Garmin unit are we using?

2. What's the post code?

I must admit to being a little bit suspicious but it seems to be that you have found a GPS that can "take me up the fooking path to the cottage door", does the Pentagon know about this :-? Sorrrry, couldn't resist :oops)

You must admit that I/we could be just a little suspicious of your claims as it was only recently you posted a thread "TomTom Shyyyyte" or sumert like that and to be honest you have never been able to master the Garmin, no problem, but some peeps have and love them.

Your up at the lakes soon, why not have a play with the Zumo and then tell us all what you think?

Come on Si time to show us your prowess in the GPS field.....or somert like that anyway :wink)

I take it you didn't get a shag jack... :wink)
Tim
Site Admin

Postby jack » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:29 pm

That's another keyboard you owe me Tim rotfl rotfl rotfl
The Older I get the Better I Was
jack
Site Admin

Postby REEFER » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:33 pm

nope i shant even be loking at a zumo while at the lakes.chances are ill want one lol so ill pass on that
i do believe there is a zumo user attending said get together so ill pass on the postcode and see what the outcome is
in fact from what i remember the tom tom not only found it strieght away but also asked is that front or back door i require navigation too :mrgreen:
Lifes too short to eat cheap food!
top tip..dont enter the blackwall tunnel with 3m headroom when driving 3.02 height!!!!!!
motor home build finished 15 months later!!

Image Image Image Image
REEFER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Akuji » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:35 pm

REEFER wrote:nope i shant even be loking at a zumo while at the lakes.chances are ill want one lol so ill pass on that
i do believe there is a zumo user attending said get together so ill pass on the postcode and see what the outcome is
in fact from what i remember the tom tom not only found it strieght away but also asked is that front or back door i require navigation too :mrgreen:

can it give yer directions to the outside lav too :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I've Got Mad Cow, What's Your Excuse??......Denny Crane
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Tim » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:58 pm

REEFER wrote:nope i shant even be loking at a zumo while at the lakes.chances are ill want one lol so ill pass on that

arr lass prefers me to come in the front door... :mrgreen:
Tim
Site Admin

Postby Akuji » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:01 pm

Tim wrote:

arr lass prefers me to come in the front door... :mrgreen:

not what i've heard :wink) :wink)
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby MaXX2 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:26 am

REEFER wrote:laugh?
i was stating a fact..tried to find thecottage on the garmin..couldnt fint it..done the same on the tom tom and it came up unnamed road do you wish to contiune..which i did and it led me stright to the cottage door up a private road/track
so garmin 0
tom tom 1
factual
the road shows up on the garmin but there is no info shown for it and no way to route along it..so in this case the tom tom wins :wink)

Reef what's the fookin post code :-? After me experiences down to and in France I'm pretty confident in the Garmins ability to find the 'TT only' address :P :mrgreen:
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Akuji » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:48 am

i shall try the post code in mine when it arrives although the tomtom does find it immediately as an 'unnamed road' 8)
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby REEFER » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:55 am

now if i had a "case" id be resting it down..ie "my case rested" lol
nice one achoo :clap:
Lifes too short to eat cheap food!
top tip..dont enter the blackwall tunnel with 3m headroom when driving 3.02 height!!!!!!
motor home build finished 15 months later!!

Image Image Image Image
REEFER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Akuji » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:49 pm

REEFER wrote:now if i had a "case" id be resting it down..ie "my case rested" lol
nice one achoo :clap:
don't rest yet cos i aint tried it on the Garmin - and having had a satnav in one form or another for over 7 years if i can't sort it then i doubt anyone can :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Fairways18 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:49 pm

MaXX2 wrote:
REEFER wrote:laugh?
i was stating a fact..tried to find thecottage on the garmin..couldnt fint it..done the same on the tom tom and it came up unnamed road do you wish to contiune..which i did and it led me stright to the cottage door up a private road/track
so garmin 0
tom tom 1
factual
the road shows up on the garmin but there is no info shown for it and no way to route along it..so in this case the tom tom wins :wink)

Reef what's the fookin post code :-? After me experiences down to and in France I'm pretty confident in the Garmins ability to find the 'TT only' address :P :mrgreen:

LA17 7XN :mrgreen:
Regards
Steve
Fairways18

Always wear protection whilst riding a Blackbird
Fairways18
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Akuji » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:00 pm

why did ya tell everyone - tim was sent a different post code :mrgreen:
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Akuji » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:59 pm

well having now got my Zumo 550 :mrgreen: i have entered said postal code and guess what.......

wait for it.......

this should create a few red faces............

the Garmin found it straight away and routed to it immediately much like the TomTom :clap: :clap: :clap:

oh and it says the cottage is on the left as you go up the road - don't know if this is correct but i'm sure someone will know, or i'll find out myself on sunday :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby jack » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Akuji, don't forget to update it to the latest firmware, 3.30 I think, if it ain't already using it.

Nice choice mate but would still like to know a little bit more about the new TTR 2, looks good but don't know if you can route and download from the computer yet?

Anyway, enjoy mate, bloody fantastic when it's all working on the bike. :thumbsup) :ride)
jack
Site Admin

Postby Akuji » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:46 pm

already fitted to bike - tried on a run in the car, the audio output was linked to my stereo so the sound came from the car speakers - made my little peugeot sound like a mercedes :clap: :clap:

firmware is 2.50 so i will have to update it - have already updated mapsource :mrgreen:
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby jack » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:56 pm

Akuji, just use the Webupdater to do it, won't install successfully otherwise.

This thread may be of help?

http://ixxra.co.uk/ipw-web/bulletin/bb/ ... hp?t=11298
jack
Site Admin

Postby Akuji » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:58 pm

done it jack - now running 3.30 :clap: :clap:
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Tim » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:25 pm