Bike to Bike Radio setup.

Hints tips and general discussion regarding GPS and Satellite Navigations systems

Moderators: MaXX2, jack

Bike to Bike Radio setup.

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:43 am

The Bike to Bike Radio Nightmare Explained. :mrgreen:

This was written by TazCBR1100XX over on the Hyper-bikes Forum way back in May 2006 as a result of much
confusion, mirth, angst and merriment amongst a lot of us when it came to trying to use our bike to bike radios or "PMR's"
Saved this document from 2006 intending to post it up here, but could never be arsed with having to retype it all, as I only saved Taz's post as screen shots. duh
Finally bit the bullet tonight, in anticipaton of great rides this year with everyone using bike to bike comms.....ha !, my arse eh.! Pigs will fly first. lol

Taz, due to his stature, was a Radio Communications Officer for the Lilliputian Navy where he excelled , naturellement, cough, cough, at ...wait for it........Short wave broadcasting....Bwahahahahahahahha ! Well, it certainly wouldn't be Long wave radio would it? Bwahahahahahahahah ! :wink)

Bike to bike radio comms can be a nightmare at its worst, but when properley set up it's a great tool and adds an extra dimension when riding in a group.

As I say, the following is Taz's unabridged version on everything you want to know about bike to bike comms. Well, it was in May 2006 anyrode.

Thanks Taz. :clap: :clap:

"As there seems to be quite a lot of confusion when you folks are trying to communicate using different brands of Radio with your mainly Autocom systems, let's see if we can try and make some sense of it all for ya, cuz I get sick of hearing you all say "Can you hear me?...."

The radios we use are the PMR446 type. PMR446 is a handportable,short-range, voice-only communication system. It provides a basic but effective radio service and is ideal for providing communication over short distances. Most of you refer to using Channel 6 sub-channel 9, but what you are actually referring to is the Centre Frequency (Channel) and the CTCSS Tone (sub-channel). A list of centre frequencies and CTCSS tones follows below

THE PROBLEM
We all want to communicate on Channel 6 sub-channel 9

THE SOLUTION

My Motorola radio uses channels 1 to 8 and PL codes 1 to 38 ( Motorola-speak for CTCSS tones). So, if on my Motorola I selct Channel 6 PL 9 then i am using the frequency 446.06875MHz with a CTCSS tone of 91.5Hz. ( there are a million Hz in one MHz). If you have a radio which displays frequencies, then set the centre frequency to 446.06875MHz and select CTCSS tone of 91.5Hz and we should be able to communicate quite easily. If you have a radio which uses anything other than the standard channels 1 to 8 and CTCSS 1 to 38 as listed below, then find out what the frequencies are corresponding to your radio's channel numbers and CTCSS tones then set your radio up accordingly. It might be a good idea to check YOUR channel numbers against the frequencies below and write in the standard channel numbers in the manual next to
your manufacturers channel numbers. Remember that CTCSS is there to minimise interference, and when you set CTCSS tones on your radio you should be able to communicate with others in the group using the same centre frequency and CTCSS tone.

THE CHANNELS

There are eight 12.5 KHz simplex frequencies, which you may use anywhere in the UK - these are the standard frequencies, but your radio manufacturer may assign those centre frequencies to different channel numbers - quite often a pre-set channel - or may even use additional frequencies within the 446MHz range ( they do this to add more channels without going outside the band). These frequencies have been harmonised ( but not necessarily authorised) for use across Europe. The standard channel centre frquencies are:

1. 446.00625 MHz
2. 446.01875 MHz
3. 446.03125 MHz
4. 446.04375 MHz
5. 446.05625 MHz
6. 446.06875 MHz
7. 446.08125 MHz
8. 446.09375 MHz

This is NOT radio specific ( see below for further details) - it is general. As long as the radio itself does not transmit outside the frequency range stated above, then the manufacturer can number those channels in any way they wish - so expect some variations.

In addition to the centre frequencies, your radio will also use CTCSS tones ( also known as PL codes on equipment such as Motorola, as explained earlier, but it's the same thing).

CTCSS TONES (PL Codes) - CTCSS stands for "continuous tone code squelch system"

If a CTCSS tone is selected, a CTCSS sub-audible tone is transmitted along with the regular voice audio by the transmitting radio. The receiving radio, set to the same CTCSS tone will only receive audio if it contains that sub-tone. Interference from other users ( and I don't mean aj, his interference is fook all to do with anything technological) on the same frequency is therefore rejected ( unless they are also on the same sub-tone). Beginning to get the picture here folks???

Most PMR446 radios adhere to the standard 38 tones listed below, but not all. If your radio has a number of tones other than 38 you will have to check with your documentation that came with the radio - if you've got it that is. If not, ask the manufacturer because it's very important that you ascertain the exact frequencies for your radio.

Tone No CTCSS Tone in Hz ( Hertz)

1. 67
2. 71.9
3. 74.4
4. 77
5. 79.7
6. 82.5
7. 85.4
8. 88.5
9. 91.5
10. 94.8
11. 97.4
12. 100
13. 103.5
14. 107.2
15. 110.9
16. 114.8
17. 118.8
18. 123
19. 127.3
20. 131.8
21. 136.5
22. 141.3
23. 146.2
24. 151.4
25. 156.7
26. 162.2
27. 167.9
28. 173.8
29. 179.9
30. 186.2
31. 192.8
32. 203.5
33. 210.7
34. 218.7
35. 225.7
36. 233.6
37. 241.8
38. 250.3

..and there is a VERY GOOD reason why I use Channel 6 CTCSS 9.

IF, ( like aj ) the above information doesn't explain it for ya, then forget about fookin radios and go back to sign language or learn semaphore.

The frequencies marked in RED above, are the suggested frequencies for communicating with other IXXRA Members.

Radio Specific Setup Information
Setting up your radio to work on Channel 6 CTCSS 9

Motorola Handie-Pro euro446

Turn radio on
Press Mode button - channel number flashes in display.
Press up/down buttons until channel 6 is diplayed.
Press Mode button - CTCSS tone number flashes in display.
Press up/down buttons until CTCSS tone number 9 is displayed.
Press Mode button - display stops flashing and radio is now set to centre frequency 446.06875 MHz with a CTCSS tone of 91.5Hz
You should now be able to communicate with other radios set to the same centre frequency and CTCSS tone frequency.

Kenwood TK3101

Turn radio OFF
Set channel selector knob to 12
Press and hold PTT button and Monitor button then switch radio ON.
Wait for orange light to illuminate before releasing the PTT and Monitor button.
Press the Monitor button once.
Press the PTT button 9 times.
Wait 2 seconds then you should hear the confirmation tones ( one long tone and four short ones).
Press the Monitor button.
The radio is now on Channel 6 with a CTCSS tone of 9 and is now set to centre frequency 446.6875 MHz with a CTCSS tone of 91.5Hz.
You should now be able to communicate with other radios set to the same centre frequency and CTCSS tone frequency

Note: if you don't perform an operation within 5 seconds of the previous operation, the radio will revert to normal mode and you will have to start the entire procedure again.

Icom IC-F22SR

Turn radio OFF.
Press and hold the PTT and S-Ring and Monitor buttons then switch the radio ON.
Release the buttons.
Set the channel selector knob to 6.
Press and hold the S-Ring button until a beep is heard.
Press the PTT button once - this sets the first digit to 10 for the CTCSS tone.
Press the S-Ring button once - a confirmation beep is heard.
Press the PTT button once - this sets the second digit to 1 for the CTCSS tone.
Press the S-Ring button.
Turn radio off.

By setting the channel selector to 6 and the CTCSS tone to 11, you have now set your radio to centre frequency 446.06875MHz with a CTCSS tone of 91.5 Hz.
You should now be able to communicate with other radios set to the same centre frequency and CTCSS tone frequency

If you have a radio which is not listed above and are having difficulty setting it up to communicate with others in your group, please P.M. me and I will try and get in touch with Taz for advice.
Likewise if you have a radio not listed above and DO know how to set it up for centre frequency 446.06875 MHz with a CTCSS tone of 91.5 Hz then please forward me the information so that I can include it here.

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Re: Bike to Bike Radio setup.

Postby Simmo » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:53 pm

Funny this the last couple of days i have been looking to get a radio I found this one a Kenwood UBZ for £75 from starcom cant seem to get it cheaper anywhere else .

i could pick it up from their factory and get them to set it up for me

so if i get it set at

6. 446.06875 MHz and

9. 91.5

i should be able to let you all know when i'm lost

unless someone has any negative views on the radio

cheers Tim ImageImage

simmo
Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten
Simmo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:55 pm

Simmo wrote:Funny this the last couple of days i have been looking to get a radio I found this one a Kenwood UBZ for £75 from starcom cant seem to get it cheaper anywhere else .

i could pick it up from their factory and get them to set it up for me

so if i get it set at

6. 446.06875 MHz and

9. 91.5

i should be able to let you all know when i'm lost

unless someone has any negative views on the radio

cheers Tim ImageImage

simmo

Sounds alreet to me Simmo. Will you be running from bike power or batteries? That has been the one bugbear with my Icom, namely running off batteries. Even with new batteries they don't last all day ( obviously) and it's a pain watching ya battery consumption and then finding out you need to change the battery for a spare once you're in the middle of a ride.
hich is why I finally got a Supe Pro-Avi so that I can run the radio off the bike and then it's on all the time and I don't have to worry about "fekk, I think the battery has gone flat or is summat else not right etc".

Good luck. :thumbsup)

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby TRIPPO » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:01 pm

Fooooooooooookin lost me :banghead) :banghead) :banghead)

Thought Kenwood made food mixers :mrgreen:
There,s only one good ride!!!!!
One that you return home safely from!!!!! Make sure you do!!!!!
Casualty is full of people who thought they new better

Regards John

TRIPPO
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Location: Coventry At the Weekends!!!! In the week....Fooooook no's

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:28 pm

TRIPPO wrote:Fooooooooooookin lost me :banghead) :banghead) :banghead)

If ya not gonna contribute owt sensible a la someone else, fook off to the Whippet Inn. :getthis)

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby TRIPPO » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:34 pm

T.Murphy wrote:
TRIPPO wrote:Fooooooooooookin lost me :banghead) :banghead) :banghead)

If ya not gonna contribute owt sensible a la someone else, fook off to the Whippet Inn. :getthis)

I aint got a sensible contribution, thought ya would no that by now ya coooooooont lol
There,s only one good ride!!!!!
One that you return home safely from!!!!! Make sure you do!!!!!
Casualty is full of people who thought they new better

Regards John

TRIPPO
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Location: Coventry At the Weekends!!!! In the week....Fooooook no's

Return to GPS, Sat' Nav' and Bike Comm's