Fitting Zumo 660

Hints tips and general discussion regarding GPS and Satellite Navigations systems

Moderators: MaXX2, jack

Fitting Zumo 660

Postby MartinDT » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:44 pm

I have a Zumo 660 which I have taken off my VFR800 (now sold) and want to fit this to my newly purchased xx . What is the best way to do this? Thanks for any help.
Martin
Don't have an opinion? Have mine.
MartinDT
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Re: Fitting Zumo 660

Postby MaXX2 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:44 pm

How was it fitted to the Gullible shallow twats Martin :-? Generally the wiring is direct to the battery and most folks use a Telferizer (sp?) ball on a stick and various Ram mounts. Does that make sense :-? :mrgreen:
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby MartinDT » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:45 pm

Oh no, my reply to you did not post so here goes again. Concerned about unit mounting not wiring. How and where would you mount the Zumo box?
MartinDT
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby Rolfy Dave » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:27 pm

MartinDT wrote:Oh no, my reply to you did not post so here goes again. Concerned about unit mounting not wiring. How and where would you mount the Zumo box?

We dont normally advise using the box...

Take the actual Zumo 660 out of the box, fit it using either a Telferizer, or Ram mounting system, and...

1... you will be able to see it a lot easier...

2... The cardboard, the box is made of, gets incredibly soggy in the rain.

Sorry, couldnt resist that..

Rolfy

ps... If you need any help with the actual spanner/electrical work, aks AJ, he's the local exspurt jawdropping
A motorcycle can't sing on the streets of a city
Nearly an ex-biker again
Rolfy Dave
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:31 pm

Rolfy Dave wrote:
MartinDT wrote:Oh no, my reply to you did not post so here goes again. Concerned about unit mounting not wiring. How and where would you mount the Zumo box?

Take the actual Zumo 660 out of the box, fit it using either a Telferizer, or Ram mounting system, and...

Rolfy

ps... If you need any help with the actual spanner/electrical work, aks AJ, he's the local exspurt jawdropping

You complete and utter bastid Rolfy. I wanted to say that but thought "nah, I'd better not"

Coont LOL LOL :clap:

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby MaXX2 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:24 am

By far the usual method is mounting the unit through the top yolk nut. Have a look at this, things should become clearer :wink)

http://www.telferizer.com/
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby MaXX2 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:27 am

Rolfy Dave wrote:

Rolfy

Dribble o' wee.... :mrgreen:
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby MartinDT » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:32 am

Yeh yeh, I can see I'm going to get some really good advice on this site lol but I guess I left myself open for that one.
This is of cource what I realy needed:

By far the usual method is mounting the unit through the top yolk nut. Have a look at this, things should become clearer
Thanks
MartinDT
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby Rolfy Dave » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:01 am

Sorry MartinDT...

It just had to be said :oops)

Go for a Telferizer.... www.telferizer.com/

That is by far the easiest thing to use, then you need a mounting arm from RAM.... http://www.ram-mount-uk.com

After that, its just a matter of wiring it into the bike... You can go direct to the battery, or take a cable off any of the spare lives on the beasty...

If you really want to be off side, I have a spare handlbar mounting unit which you can collect off me at Prescott hillclimb on 10th April. It uses the brake or clutch lever mounting point to site the bottom ball in the link.

Your choice.

Rolfy
Nearly an ex-biker again
Rolfy Dave
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby MaXX2 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:00 pm

MartinDT wrote:Yeh yeh, I can see I'm going to get some really good advice on this site lol but I guess I left myself open for that one.

By far the usual method is mounting the unit through the top yolk nut. Have a look at this, things should become clearer
Thanks

Aaah, there's a knack to this Martin :mrgreen: If you post ANYTHING in the Whippet Inn section---it's a free-for-all on the humour and pss take front (and quite rightly too, we need somewhere where there's no rules :mrgreen: ) BUT, if you'd have posted the same message in the GPS and Comms section you'd have a got your serious answer (then, just occasionally, when the query is properly answered, things slip gently away to humour again anyway) :mrgreen:

Just a tip for future sorta thing :wink)
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:05 pm

MaXX2 wrote:
MartinDT wrote:Yeh yeh, I can see I'm going to get some really good advice on this site lol but I guess I left myself open for that one.

Thanks

Aaah, there's a knack to this Martin :mrgreen: If you post ANYTHING in the Whippet Inn section---it's a free-for-all on the humour and pss take front (and quite rightly too, we need somewhere where there's no rules :mrgreen: ) BUT, if you'd have posted the same message in the GPS and Comms section you'd have a got your serious answer (then, just occasionally, when the query is properly answered, things slip gently away to humour again anyway) :mrgreen:

Just a tip for future sorta thing :wink)

Maxx2 is quite right there Martin.

And if "aj" hadn't got sacked as a Moderator when he did, things coulda been a lot worse for me 'n' Rolfy . :shock)

:mrgreen:

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Rolfy Dave » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:25 pm

T.Murphy wrote:things coulda been a lot worse for me 'n' Rolfy . :shock)

:mrgreen:

Look Timbo... I got three days (feckin long ones)
on the fridges...

Thngs dont get any worse than that :pullhair

Least its back to me own job next week :thumbsup)

Rolfy
Nearly an ex-biker again
Rolfy Dave
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby MartinDT » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:03 pm

I'm used to all this banter guys and appreciate all the answers: good, bad and ugly.
PS
I don't have a Zumo after all but felt like testing you humour :thumbsup) Now how's that for the final call?
MartinDT
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby Oldbull » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:19 pm

Whats a Zumo ???? ..... is it a foreign wrestler ???? look a fuooooka with one o them on yer bars .. :D :D
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Tigger » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:55 pm

Oldbull wrote:Whats a Zumo ???? ..... is it a foreign wrestler ???? look a fuooooka with one o them on yer bars .. :D :D

Thats AJs job, behave :)

My boing is back .... :P
devil
Tigger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby MartinDT » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:32 pm

"That is by far the easiest thing to use, then you need a mounting arm from RAM.... http://www.ram-mount-uk.com"
Thanks for this, visited the site and also made phone calls but it appears that there are no smaller Ram bolts than that which fitted the VFR. The BB has a smaller appeture in the headstock. Any help will be appreciated, thanks.
MartinDT
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby number40 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:05 pm

Hi Martin, its the Telferizer mount you need to mount into the headstock (as mentioned above). Pull out the rubber bung on the headstock and insert the Telferizer then give it a good screw to tighten it and you end up with a small ball onto which you fit the RAM mount :D I've got a TomTom mounted this way if you want to see it as you just live up the road.

Mike
number40
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby MartinDT » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:36 pm

"if you want to see it as you just live up the road."
Thanks Mike, we will meet up soon, I hope, after I'm back from Scotland and I can look and learn. C U soon mate and thanks. :thumbsup)
MartinDT
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby number40 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:48 pm

Enjoy the trip. I envy you, I must plan a trip up there on the bike soon.
number40
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby bikeman » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:52 pm

MartinDT wrote:I have a Zumo 660 which I have taken off my VFR800 (now sold) and want to fit this to my newly purchased xx . What is the best way to do this? Thanks for any help.
Martin

Im using the stuff from RAM for my Zumo 660
CBR1100XX -07 -- Eagle Screens, K&N, GPR cans, SpeedoHealer, Zumo660+RAM, SW-Motech, Givi Paniers, Bars from a VRF800, Hugger, 300Grams BarEnds, ExtendaFenda, Dunlop RoadSmart II, PC3 USB...!
Pictures.... http://community.webshots.com/user/kryzzpe
bikeman
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Return to GPS, Sat' Nav' and Bike Comm's