In Car DAB

Hints tips and general discussion regarding GPS and Satellite Navigations systems

Moderators: MaXX2, jack

In Car DAB

Postby Oldbull » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:02 pm

Anyone got a digital radio in the car... am fancying one ...any good ??? 8)
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Re: In Car DAB

Postby Akuji » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:30 pm

Don't bother DAB has its days numbered. Already gone belly up throughout most of Europe.
I've Got Mad Cow, What's Your Excuse??......Denny Crane
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:37 pm

That's funny. I have just had. as a Birthday present, a nice DAB Pure "Move". Wished I'd had one years ago. Have now got music I like , "on tap". Even got a new station 2 weeks ago and it's the stuff of dreams for me...Absolute 60's. Beatles, Stones, Motown. Heaven.
Have since been contemplating getting a DAB Pure Highway. Great for in car and some GS riders have fitted it on/above/around/wha'eva their Garmin holders.

HOWEVER, as akuji says ...it's on its way out before it's started basically. Bloke I know says it aint recognised in most of Europe. Had one fitted to a car he keeps in Spain..waste of fekkin time. There's summat "out there" that's superseded DAB already.

As with all things lectric though, if ya wait for the latest technology then you'd never get fook all.

Me, I'm happy as a pig in shite and sitting on a cornflake with Absolute 60's. :rockon)

8)

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Tigger » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:39 am

I have a DAB at home, reception is awful tbh, so never use it. :-?

My boing is back .... :P
devil
Tigger
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby MaXX2 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:59 am

Never had a DAB, but this FM technology is well worth it :thumbsup) Decent sound, car tracks the stations for me all over the country and there's something on EVERY DAY between 6am and 7.30pm :shock) ..... love technology me and always like to stay bang up to date :mrgreen:
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby mack » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:17 pm

Got one in the kitchen and one in the garage. Absolute 80's . What can I say, the music reminds me of the days I was very single,very slim, usually pissed, fighting,fuckin,sleeping or riding my Z750 or VF750 and always broke but brilliant days and this music reminds me of it. I could drink 10 pints back then without a hangover that lasts a week, if fact it was no problem to just get up and go to work, then back to the pub on my bike get pissed and ride home. Didnt seem so bad back then, it was just the norm in the part of Brum where I lived. Probably why nothing ever gets done when im in the garage. I would go bankrupt if I had one here in the office or on site. Sod it I dont want to be that happy when I am supposed to be working so I dont want one in the van or in the office
mack
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby Tazcbr1100xx » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:45 pm

When I'm in the garage, the radio is OFF - well, it's not actually OFF cuz I ain't got one :mrgreen:

When I'm in the house, the radio is OFF - well, it's not actually OFF cuz I ain't got one :mrgreen:

When I'm on the bike, the radio is OFF - well, it's not actually OFF cuz I ain't got one :mrgreen:

When I'm driving, the radio is OFF - well, it's not actually OFF, cuz it also delivers the electrics and audio for the mobile phone through the sound system on the car, so it stays ON, but with no sound coming out of it - I prefer the rumble of the road :notworthy)

Did I also mention that I don't listen to the radio cuz it's boring :mrgreen:
Sorted!
Tazcbr1100xx
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby MaXX2 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:50 pm

CD player in the garage at the mo, but get fed up of having to change CD's...SO... asked santa for a decent MP3 player and a good docking station :D Load the fooker up with me own music and there'll be enough on there for 8 hours without listening to the same thing twice :mrgreen:

MP3 has even got a wee video screen so I can watch Pan's People boogeying to me top 5 Boney M tracks... can't fookin wait :thumbsup)

Dunno why, but I prefer listening to the radio in the car for some reason :-?
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Oldbull » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:15 pm

weve had a couple around the house for a few years now, treated myself last year to this one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-DCB293- ... 801&sr=8-1

crystal clear reception and a wide choice of music... planet rock for me, :rockon) absolute 80s for mamsaab
and capitol for our young un... I was under the impression that it was FM that was being faded out with the rest of the media going digital.... ie television etc :-?

Ive looked at the Highway but not sure about the aerial side of things and being stuck in the windscreen like a sat nav... would prefer a tidyier option to hard wire it....

The reception depends a lot on the quality of the reciever Tiggs and you can get an aerial if you are in a very poor area.If its a cheap set the reception will be poor tho mate... Also thought that the signal was being boosted as soon as they have turned all the analouge off...

The one Ive been looking at for the car is this Kenwood, got to fook about with a windscreen antenna tho so not sure. I can move the one in the house about a metre and it will loose the signal on a weaker station thats why I was worried about a in car one ...

heres the blurb on the Kenwood
http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/pr ... -DAB4551U/
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Oldbull » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:44 pm

Akuji wrote:Don't bother DAB has its days numbered. Already gone belly up throughout most of Europe.

Heres the most up to date I can find... confused dot dab :P

http://grantgoddardradioblog.blogspot.c ... fused.html
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Oldbull » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:38 pm

Nobody fitted one in the car then ??? :(
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:53 pm

Oldbull wrote:Nobody fitted one in the car then ??? :(

Try the Car Section. That's where Coggy hangs out. :mrgreen:

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Coggy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:34 am

T.Murphy wrote:
Oldbull wrote:Nobody fitted one in the car then ??? :(

Try the Car Section. That's where Coggy hangs out. :mrgreen:

You mean the armchair members' lounge
You wouldn't know because you're not allowed in
:mrgreen:
Coggy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Oldbull » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:19 pm

Tazcbr1100xx wrote:When I'm in the garage, the radio is OFF - well, it's not actually OFF cuz I ain't got one :mrgreen:

When I'm in the house, the radio is OFF - well, it's not actually OFF cuz I ain't got one :mrgreen:

When I'm on the bike, the radio is OFF - well, it's not actually OFF cuz I ain't got one :mrgreen:

When I'm driving, the radio is OFF - well, it's not actually OFF, cuz it also delivers the electrics and audio for the mobile phone through the sound system on the car, so it stays ON, but with no sound coming out of it - I prefer the rumble of the road :notworthy)

Did I also mention that I don't listen to the radio cuz it's boring :mrgreen:

MaXX2 wrote:Never had a DAB, but this FM technology is well worth it :thumbsup) Decent sound, car tracks the stations for me all over the country and there's something on EVERY DAY between 6am and 7.30pm :shock) ..... love technology me and always like to stay bang up to date :mrgreen:

Fookin Stan n Ollie being very helpfull as usual ... Ill go out and buy three now after reading that :banghead) :getthis)

I need to know if they work on the move or not ... Tim, did the Pure Highway work well on the bikes do you know PLEASE mate .. running out of santa time here :P :wink)
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:41 pm

Oldbull wrote:

I need to know if they work on the move or not ... Tim, did the Pure Highway work well on the bikes do you know PLEASE mate .. running out of santa time here :P :wink)

As far as I know mate they DO work on the move..hence the "Highway" model.
"heard" a GS rider talking about them as though they're a regular, reliable item to use on the bike/car.

Would have thought the qualified radio experts would have added a couple of pennorth worth.

I use mine walking about and the reception is in the main excellent. There are times when the signal gets bad and the squelcy noise is quite unpleasant.

According to my lad DAB is "crap" technology that was brought out here too early. it's MP2 format ( apparently) whereas Aussies have DAB+ which is MP3.

Same old story though aint it. By the time you've deliberated and decided and bought it....it's obsofookinlete.

N'e'er mind. Go get it bought and enjoy.

Me, I'm off to watch a fillum on my Betamax. ( I will NOT give in )

:thumbsup) :thumbsup) :thumbsup) :thumbsup)

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Scruffygit » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:41 pm

Akuji wrote:Don't bother DAB has its days numbered. Already gone belly up throughout most of Europe.

So, should arrive in NZ in about ten years :banghead)
Scruffygit
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:51 am

Scruffygit wrote:

"You" don't count in the Great Scheme of Things

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Scruffygit » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:10 am

T.Murphy wrote:
Scruffygit wrote:

Will do in about 36 hours.
:getthis)
Scruffygit
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:45 pm

Scruffygit wrote:
T.Murphy wrote:
Scruffygit wrote:

:-? :-? :-?

you back home then ?

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Scruffygit » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:11 pm

T.Murphy wrote:
Scruffygit wrote:
T.Murphy wrote:
Scruffygit wrote:

you back home then ?

On my way, sitting in LA transit at the moment :pullhair . Don't you love Americans.

Back for four weeks family duty, and a bit of skiing.
Scruffygit
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:15 am

Scruffygit wrote:.
T.Murphy wrote:
Scruffygit wrote:
T.Murphy wrote:
Scruffygit wrote:

you back home then ?

On my way, sitting in LA transit at the moment :pullhair . Don't you love Americans.

Not enough snow here for that SG :mrgreen: . So 4 weeks family duty where? ( I forgot where from your previous life)

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby MaXX2 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:37 pm

ADMIN, ADMIIIIIIN--- FFS this is in GPS and Comms!! Waaaaaaaay off thread. Shockin it is, dunno how they think thay can get away with it :mrgreen:
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby barsteward » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:19 pm

Had a top of the range Samsung DAB radio in the Animal, and to be honest, it was crap on the move. :roll)
barsteward
Q.O.T.W. Moderator
Q.O.T.W. Moderator

Location: Ex of Rainy Todmorden Where???? now just as rainy Walsden

Postby Scruffygit » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:01 pm

T.Murphy wrote:
Scruffygit wrote:.
T.Murphy wrote:
Scruffygit wrote:
T.Murphy wrote:"You" don't count in the Great Scheme of Things

you back home then ?

Not enough snow here for that SG :mrgreen: . So 4 weeks family duty where? ( I forgot where from your previous life)

Hopefully ther will be in Italy :mrgreen:

Other than that, a UK tour: Father in Newbury, Godsons birthday party in Bedford (might also go see the ex-mother-in-law, a really nice lady I have a lot of respect for...... and it will really pi55 the ex off :twisted) ), Mother in Derby, friends in Retford and Bawtry, more in Catterick. Maybe even a trip to NI.

So, moving around a bit.
Scruffygit
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby Simmo » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:44 pm

[quote}Other than that, a UK tour: Father in Newbury, Godsons birthday party in Bedford (might also go see the ex-mother-in-law, a really nice lady I have a lot of respect for...... and it will really pi55 the ex off :twisted) ), Mother in Derby, friends in Retford and Bawtry, more in Catterick. Maybe even a trip to NI.

So, moving around a bit.[/quote]

coming to the center of the universe then

simmo
Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten
Simmo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Next

Return to GPS, Sat' Nav' and Bike Comm's