Bluetooth Headsets and coms

Hints tips and general discussion regarding GPS and Satellite Navigations systems

Moderators: MaXX2, jack

Bluetooth Headsets and coms

Postby Oldbull » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:52 pm

As some of you know I have decided to change my comms etc over to bluetooth from my RP1Intaride system which has served me well.

Ive bought a cheap bluetooth headset to give it a whirl on the erm spare bike :mrgreen: and Im now sure its definitely the way to go :thumbsup)

What Im asking the few who already have a Bluetooth headset is... do you still get a trigger delay with the expensive ones ie scala rider etc as you do with a cheaper one ????
The main selling points with the expensive stuff is the quality of the mic and the life of the battery but nothing is mentioned in the blurrb about the trigger ...

what the fook is he on about I hear you ask .....

Background: A bluetooth device must detect a preset amount of A2DP audio stream to trigger open a gate allowing the stream to actually play through the device. For users, this means roughly 1 to 2 seconds of audio can be lost at the beginning of a stream. The gate closes a short period of time after the audio stream terminates. Audio content is lost each time the gate must be triggered open. According to Apple, the trigger threshold is controlled by the bluetooth device manufacturer.

The trigger delay can be a significant problem for navigation apps with text-to-speech (TTS) enabled.

An instruction spoken via the RP1 built-in speaker has no delay and sounds like, "In one mile at the T junction turn right onto First Street."

But the same instruction over bluetooth loses words and becomes, "…tion turn right on First Street."

If something holds the gate open -- for example streaming background audio by iPod or Pandora -- then when a navigation app interrupts with a TTS instruction none of it is lost.

Anyone help me out here please :thumbsup)
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Re: Bluetooth Headsets and coms

Postby aj » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:30 pm

can't u just shout insted... :P :P

regards
aj :oops)

remember... i know nuffin about everything so don't believe a word i say
aj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Oldbull » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:16 pm

Bump

Nobody got bluetooth then ??? :P

Simmo, do me a flavour and ask Clive will ya please pal.. I know he has the scala or the Senna :thumbsup)

Spose Ill have to ask the panza forum then... seeing as the only sat nav instruction that will be heard by the folks on here is 'OFF or ' Route anyways :D :roll)
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby rushwind » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:14 pm

just just say the first, word twice

because because the first word is

yes yes you guessed it

the the trigger :thumbsup)

lol, reread yer post now,,
dont get a delay from the old sagnav, just when initiating a conversation :)
rushwind
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby Oldbull » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:42 pm

rushwind wrote:just just say the first, word twice

yes yes you guessed it

Thank you kind sir ... and which headset are you using ??
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Treader » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:43 pm

Three of us have toured in the UK and in Euroland for several years and in the spring of 2012 each bought an Interphone F5. These units have made a huge difference to our trips, so much better having bike to bike communication. No more loosing each other in traffic and at busy junctions or getting confused about stops and routes. We have had no problems with lost first words when starting a conversation. Just a couple of tips, make sure to charge the batteries at least once a day and keep the microphones out of the wind.

Just wish the other two had better singing voices!

Treader
Treader
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby rushwind » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:01 pm

Oldbull wrote:
rushwind wrote:just just say the first, word twice

yes yes you guessed it

Thank you kind sir ... and which headset are you using ??

Scala g4, does the job :thumbsup)
rushwind
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby Oldbull » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:05 pm

Thanks for the input Treader and welcome to the forum mate.. As far as Im aware the F5 has been discontinued and I cant find its replacement... :( You and your mates on Birds ??

Going to have a look at the G4 now.. buuuttt there is the new Sena 20s comming out next month ... bluetooth 4 and you can
connect to other makes of headset.. which is an industry first and about friggin time...

Wasnt going to go the big bucks route if I didnt have to but this connect to anything feature mite be a no brainer.. it will connect to the one i have now which will do nicley for my pillion and I wont have to buy another :rockon)
Last edited by Oldbull on Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Oldbull » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:22 pm

Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby TRIPPO » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:29 pm

Den and I use the Scala G4 and i never had an issue with the instructions coming through from the satnav Dave :thumbsup)
But have learnt to do without the instructions cos they interfere with the music :banghead)

As Rushwind say's you need to say a random word like BOLLIX to initiate the com between the 2 headsets, but Den wouldn't hear me say BOLLIX :mrgreen:

But sometimes when we turn the headsets on and they pair, sometimes they stay connected all the time so it is instant with what you say to each other :thumbsup)

The battery on them are good well into a 2nd day before you need to charge them :smile:
There,s only one good ride!!!!!
One that you return home safely from!!!!! Make sure you do!!!!!
Casualty is full of people who thought they new better

Regards John

TRIPPO
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Location: Coventry At the Weekends!!!! In the week....Fooooook no's

Postby Simmo » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:22 am

Oldbull wrote:Bump

Nobody got bluetooth then ??? :P

Simmo, do me a flavour and ask Clive will ya please pal.. I know he has the scala or the Senna :thumbsup)

Spose Ill have to ask the panza forum then... seeing as the only sat nav instruction that will be heard by the folks on here is 'OFF or ' Route anyways :D :roll)

can do mate, hes away with the others in Valencia i think, so i'll have a chat when he gets back.
Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten
Simmo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Oldbull » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:03 pm

TRIPPO wrote:Den and I use the Scala G4 and i never had an issue with the instructions coming through from the satnav Dave :thumbsup)
But have learnt to do without the instructions cos they interfere with the music :banghead)

As Rushwind say's you need to say a random word like BOLLIX to initiate the com between the 2 headsets, but Den wouldn't hear me say BOLLIX :mrgreen:

But sometimes when we turn the headsets on and they pair, sometimes they stay connected all the time so it is instant with what you say to each other :thumbsup)

The battery on them are good well into a 2nd day before you need to charge them :smile:

Thanks John ., must be the cheaper sets that suffer with the the GPs lag. The G4 is now replaced with the scala rider G9 which is even better,
Still 200 sobs for the Solo G9 tho and it wont connect to the one I have... Think I will wait to see how much the Sena comes out at before I decide..
Nothing wrong with the working of my hardwired Intaride system but swapping it over from one bike to another is not an option.. also pulling your head off with the cable is getting a bit tiresome lol.. I now have a sat nav mount hardwired on both bikes so jumping from one bike to another wont be an issue any more.

Simmo : can do mate, hes away with the others in Valencia i think, so i'll have a chat when he gets back.

Ta pal, Im curious as to how the bluetooth performs with the Tom Toms (jammy git gets more hollidays than Thompsons lol )
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Scotty » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:00 am

Oldbull wrote:As far as Im aware the F5 has been discontinued and I cant find its replacement... :(

Not sure why you're struggling. The F5 XS came out in 2013.

http://www.ghostbikes.com/products/9580 ... -pack.html

I'm not sure what the difference is?

I've been using an F5 and find it brilliant. The noise suppression is so good that I've had a few people on phone calls not realise I'm actually riding. I even did a conference call on the way to the office.
Scotty
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby Oldbull » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:31 pm

Scotty Wrote
Not sure why you're struggling. The F5 XS came out in 2013.

Some retail outlets were saying the F5 is discontinued mate,no mention of the XS :P
The F5 XS looks good Scotty thanks for the link, Uses bluetooth v3 like all the top quality ones.. again, downside of them is
that you can only connect to other Interphone units.. The new Scala 20s uses bluetooth v4 which allows you to connect to anything
including the G4s and Interphones etc. If they end up being silly money I will have another look... The cheap unit I already have is an Interphone
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321139511103? ... 1423.l2649
so hopfully would be able to connect an F5XS unit to it...

:thumbsup)
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Oldbull » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:06 pm

Looks like there is some movement with the Sena 20s headset at last :thumbsup)

http://www.bikeintercom.com/bike-to-bik ... adset.html

$269 dollars ... around £160 sobs , so not as bad as first thought, especially if you compare it to the hardwire Starcom /Intaride systems...

soon as they are available Im having one ... just been asked by the ladies of the house 'what do you want for christmas ' :mrgreen: :wink)
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Oldbull » Thu May 01, 2014 8:18 pm

just an update on my intercom for the few that are interested...

After waiting all these months for the Sena 20s to come on the market they have back dated availabillity again till end of June /July,
so Ive gave up the wait and bought the Sena SMH10 and with the latest software update which brings it up to the same spec as the new 20s. (ish)
Free firmware updates as well once you are registered with Sena with your product..
About the same price as the 20s but all UK outlets are the same so no savings to be made online etc etc..
Not cheap at £180 but it was my Crimbo pressie so Im worth it :wink)

OK,, got it home and on charge, you can actually charge these whilst in use if you have the fag lighter socket on board ...if required which
could be handy ... Registered with sena and did the latest firmware update... easy peasy
paired the Zumo 660 and my phone instantly with no probs...
Paired them both separately as there is no need to put the phone through the zumo any more due to the multi connecting.
Play my music on the zumo tho and it advises to connect it as another phone for best stereo results...

Put a route in and hit go .... fekkkk me talk about loud and clear, had to turn it right down and in full duplex too so no words missing etc etc.. :notworthy)
That was my first worry sorted as you have no volume control as such with the cheap headset with GPS instruction .. especially when your a tad mutton Jeff like me :rolleyes: Second worry sorted as well as I now have full voice commands :notworthy)
Played some music thro the zumo crystal clear and loud as you like, same with the phone calls , perfect reception both ways :notworthy)

So as you can tell first impressions Im over the moon, these babies are all about clarity , volume control ability and multi connection.
Ive even paired the SMH10 to my cheapo non Sena headset and all is good there as well, which is an industry first :notworthy) Not sure on distance yet but that will depend on the range of the cheap set... Doesnt matter too much as I want it for rider pillion comms not bike to bike...

Anywhoo, I will do some more tests this weekend on bike and post up how it goes....

When Ive fine tuned and sorted the Sena in my helmet I will have the cheaper headset available if anyone wants to give Bluetooth comms a try out.
If you only want them for satnav directions and music they are fine. you can fit them in your helmet in five mins with no damage ... let me know
and Ill sort it

:ride) :ride)
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Mister Majestik » Fri May 02, 2014 12:15 am

Dave

was that price for a single or a pair??
Mister Majestik
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Oldbull » Fri May 02, 2014 9:41 am

Thats a single price mate :shock)

Few folks on the GS site are ordering from the states and hoping they dont get stung with the duty..

The new senas have a bike to bike range further than the legal radios and can connect to 4 more people.
The other quality sets like the scala etc are simular money . You can get the SMH 5 tho for about a ton
Which is there basic quality set... Its all about what you want to do mate , group riding, full dbuplex etc etc.

Steve, your welcome to have a go with the BT interphone set that I have mate... lasts for days and ideal for music and directions from the satnav if thats all you need. Will connect a fone as well but prefers one or the other to get the best from it.
Give me a shout before I put it in Shazs helmet :thumbsup)
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Mister Majestik » Fri May 02, 2014 8:00 pm

Dave bang it in Shaz's helmet,

think I'm gonna bite the bullit and buy a sena 10.

out on the bike today, music but no voice,

same ext lead plugged in the zumo never been removed, googled prob, it says can issue if plug is pushed too far into unit,

well its been in 3yrs + never been an issue, but is now, says some people put O ring on the plug to space it back, tried that and it works,

kin baffled me though :pullhair

should't have to use the socket if bluetooth :thumbsup)

thanks Dave :thumbsup)
Mister Majestik
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Oldbull » Fri May 02, 2014 8:26 pm

Nice one pal ..

word of warning, make sure that its the SMH10B model pal because the B means that its the latest upgradable one.

it will show on the box ...
Serial Number SMH10B 123456789
make sure the B is there else its the older model and wont upgrade
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Akuji » Fri May 02, 2014 9:58 pm

I've ordered one of these, amy good????? Just for listening to the sat nag and a bit of music
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300685272644? ... 1497.l2649
I've Got Mad Cow, What's Your Excuse??......Denny Crane
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Mister Majestik » Fri May 02, 2014 11:44 pm

don't know not seen one before
Mister Majestik
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Oldbull » Sat May 03, 2014 10:02 am

Me niether , let us know how it goes.. :thumbsup)

Having a bit of trouble with the connection between the non sena headset at the mo :banghead) need some more investigation :banghead)
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Akuji » Sat May 03, 2014 12:21 pm

Oldbull wrote:Me niether , let us know how it goes.. :thumbsup)

Having a bit of trouble with the connection between the non sena headset at the mo :banghead) need some more investigation :banghead)

will do - just waiting for friggin parcel force to hurry up :banghead)
I've Got Mad Cow, What's Your Excuse??......Denny Crane
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Oldbull » Wed May 28, 2014 9:14 pm

Just a final update on the now tried and tested Sena SMH10 ...

Waterproof now fully tested and past with flying colours Thanks Wales :roll)

Bike to bike tested with Ramo, very impressed with clarity and ease of use compared to radios etc. No push to talk buttons or VOX to bother about just crystal clear full duplex conversation with a distance of Line of sight ... not quite as far as the radios in certain conditions but totally out does them for the ease of use and clarity, we were doing a Ton at one point and still able to speak to each other clearly :rockon)

would be interesting with three more folks in the conversation as well :mrgreen: not sure if that can be done or you just switch from one person to another tho, so will have to wait until someone else gets one to test :notworthy)

over to you Steve..Steve you there Dave Dave Steve Dave lol lol
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Next

Return to GPS, Sat' Nav' and Bike Comm's