Garmin Basecamp

Hints tips and general discussion regarding GPS and Satellite Navigations systems

Moderators: MaXX2, jack

Garmin Basecamp

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Mon May 12, 2014 6:48 pm

I see there aren't any threads related to this subject. :-?

Is this because nobody is using it?

Has anyone who has, got an opinion of it?

I know Blackmagic posted summink about it the other week but I've forgotten what so I'll go have a look in a bit.

It's a replacement "improved/updated/more user friendly" programme for the Mapsource programme we have all been used to aint it?

Well, I haven't got that far to find out yet as I have been forced into adopting it and what a performance that has been ! :bigcry:

A month or so ago I had my poota repaired. When it came back, all trace of Mapsource had disappeared. :shock)

Bollox, searched hi and lo for the Mapsource discs only to find that it /they wouldn't load up due to corrupt files or summink. :bigcry:

So that was me fooked with Mapsource.

Reading between the lines on the GS site and contrary to some of the Ludditious ( made that word up :mrgreen: ) comments, the basecamp prog seems the way to go. No use fighting it is there :rolleyes: .

So, I took the plunge and downloaded and installed Basecamp. Simples. Trouble was, there were no maps only the base layers.

What followed over the next ooooh 6 weeks mebbe, has been nothing but pain and strife and I kid you not...many, many hours on the phone to Garmin Support. many hours spent in a queue cos surprisingly they are as busy as fekk, and literally many hours being talked through step by step procedures, over 6 days of phone calls spread over these last 6 weeks, involving, deleting Basecamp, downloading, deleting, downloading, deleting, downloading, deleting and downloading Garmin Express, then the same with Basecamp...hours downloading Maps...of UK and Ireland, Full Europe, to my "device", "device and poota", poota only, then deleting them again cos I can't unlock the fekkas even though I've got the unlock codes which are the same as on "MyGarfookinmin" profile. I have followed emails off them including copy and pasting UNL files...with the Zumo plugged in, without it plugged in and even with it on the lawn at the bottom of the fekkin garden.

All to no avail. best I got last week was "ooooh..maps I can see bends and stuff on the Zumo" "Will that be all Sir?" "yea, thanks, great stuff" Click...burrrrrr. let's have a look at basecamp then... jawdropping :shock) :banghead) NO feggin maps...Switch Zumo back on....twatting ditto!

I have these last 6 weeks, lost the will to live thinking I would never have the maps. The Support staff took me through variations on basic themes on downloading and installing maps all to no avail.

This morning, I thought to essen..."Shall I have one more crack at it on the phone...or shall I parcel up my laptop, power cable, access passwords, Zumo and Zumo cable and send it to Garmin support with the message that if they sort that bag of shite out I'll personally come down and give the successful support worker the finest blow job they'll ever have :sick)

Coming (phnaarr phnaarr) to my senses I thought no I'll give it one more try.

Phoned up at 09.20 and finally got answered by a real person at 10.35.

This time, and after 3 hours, I have finally got Basecamp with full Europe maps on ut, and my Zunmo 550 has got updated UK and Ireland maps on. I can't feggin believe it :thumbsup)

One thing that I do remember during the 3 hour session in which we tried everything including my wifes knickers was that he asked me what SD card I had in the Zumo. ( nobody had asked me this in all the other consultations)
"16 Gb" I said " cos it's full of music"

"Aha" says Abdul "Zumo will not accept an SD card over 4Gb when trying to load maps on it..please take the card out!"

I did, and the maps went on straight away.

Still had to get them on Basecamp though and that was a long winded effort to which I can't remember what the problem was in the end other than "Windoze 7 and 8 can sometimes be bastids for this software ( what the fook I thought !") and also that he had to create an unlock code himself and unlock from wherever they are ( if I remember correctly)

So, now I'm up and runn...crawling and have to learn the idiosyncrasies(sp?) of basecamp quickly.

Got a couple of tutorial links off the Sherrif to get me started...first thing being.."how the fook, once I've started a new route and plotted a few roads, do I save it as that particular route? Stumped already..

I will piss myself when Oldbull gets to grips with it.

Thank you for listening.

8)

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Re: Garmin Basecamp

Postby Akuji » Mon May 12, 2014 8:05 pm

Not the first one with Zumo sd card probs :roll) :roll) throw the fekker in the bin :thumbsup)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25628&p=228062&hilit=sd+card#p228062
I've Got Mad Cow, What's Your Excuse??......Denny Crane
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby barsteward » Mon May 12, 2014 8:29 pm

https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?179-BaseCamp

Well for starters you fookin numpty try joining this forum (very informative) and then get your fookin head from up your arse and do some reading. :thumbsup)

Must admit though I don't like base camp as much as mapsource but yer stuck with it cause mapsource ain't supported anymore. :mrgreen:
barsteward
Q.O.T.W. Moderator
Q.O.T.W. Moderator

Location: Ex of Rainy Todmorden Where???? now just as rainy Walsden

Postby Simmo » Mon May 12, 2014 9:20 pm

Tried base camp a long while ago have now given up and use TYRE , find it easy to use , I did a route round Rutland and found it spot on :thumbsup)
Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten
Simmo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Oldbull » Mon May 12, 2014 9:44 pm

I will piss myself when Oldbull gets to grips with it.

Tried it, didnt like it so went back to mapsource :thumbsup)

Much prefer mapsource as Im familiar with it, I know its not supported anymore as such but I have the last updated version of it and dont have any problems
so Im sticking with it until Im forced to change ..

Think you can do a route in google maps now and save as a garmin file mate, you might find that easier to work with ...

minefield of info on your UK GSer site, much easier than Phoneing Garmin :wink)
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Mon May 12, 2014 11:41 pm

That's me well and truly beaten for the day. If I could afford to then this laptop would be a hundred feet down the fekkkin road by now.

New route plotted fine as a try. Problem then when I try to "save" it. Why have they got rid of that word for starters? So it's "file", "export", "export" selection and give it a name fine. Then the coont saves it as a gpx file but I cant fekkin open it after that. Save it as a gdb file and Adobe Acrobat is the default prog to open it but says it cant cos some files might be corrupted for fekkin jezus Christ altwatting mighty sakes. :banghead) :banghead)

Whata feggin performance. Surely in this day and age, stuff like this should be idiot friendly and intuitive. At the moment I am fekkin lost. But I wont give up YET. Not yet anyrode.

Anyone out there mastered it yet?

Tried a couple of Youtube tutorials, but at the moment what I've seen is as much use as a chocolate fireguard really.

Keep repeating the words "operator error, operator error"...annnnnnd breathe.

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Tue May 13, 2014 9:14 am

Well. after burning the midnight oil for quite some time last night I am happy to report a major success. I have cracked it ! :thumbsup) :rockon)

This morning, I downloaded from CNET downloads, a "fresh" copy of Mapsource, My updated maps automatically jumped onto the Mapsource programme and lo and behold it is sooooooooo simple COMPARED with Basecamp. There are clever peeps/stoical peeps/geeky peeps/adventurous peeps/brave peeps, that will conquer and master Basecamp, but for me in my 60th year, life is too fekkin short for that. I stand to be corrected and after a lot of reading on various forums am yet to be convinced of ANY significant improvement..even from the peeps that are converted.

By the time all Garmin devices wont work on anything other than Basecamp, (a) Basecamp will have been superceded by something that can only be a vast improvement from this disaster and (b) I will have stopped riding and if I aint dead will only want to know where the toilet is.

Thank you.

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby TRIPPO » Tue May 13, 2014 9:43 am

Hooooofooookinray ya winging old cooooont :thumbsup) :thumbsup) :thumbsup)
There,s only one good ride!!!!!
One that you return home safely from!!!!! Make sure you do!!!!!
Casualty is full of people who thought they new better

Regards John

TRIPPO
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Location: Coventry At the Weekends!!!! In the week....Fooooook no's

Postby Oldbull » Tue May 13, 2014 11:04 am

Best laugh Ive had this month.. I can see him now clickin away ... :D Hawkeye the pathfinder (remember him ) :notworthy) :notworthy)

Think your loom has gone down in your lappy tho mate with all that pishin on yer keyboard, common cause with 60 year old puter gods... dont fone Garmin cos they will want you to do a bluetooth upgrade with lifetime maps and it wont cure it :D

6 million dollar....

post it up then pal :D :D

lets have look where we going ... or not going as the case may be ... :notworthy) :mrgreen:

email it me and I will host it for the others if you want, BT have given me some webspace
Last edited by Oldbull on Tue May 13, 2014 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby TRIPPO » Tue May 13, 2014 11:06 am

Probably around in fooookin circles I guess lol :banghead)
There,s only one good ride!!!!!
One that you return home safely from!!!!! Make sure you do!!!!!
Casualty is full of people who thought they new better

Regards John

TRIPPO
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Location: Coventry At the Weekends!!!! In the week....Fooooook no's

Postby Mister Majestik » Tue May 13, 2014 6:33 pm

Basecamp FFS

even this pair got a manual for it

basecamp instructions.jpg

get a grip man lol
Mister Majestik
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Tue May 13, 2014 7:21 pm

ramo wrote:Basecamp FFS

even this pair got a manual for it

basecamp instructions.jpg

get a grip man lol

Fookin laptop's bouncing on me stomach and her indoors is giving me looks across the room. FFS's give over. lol

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Akuji » Tue May 13, 2014 7:39 pm

Basecamp is dead easy but then again we're not all thick coonts :mrgreen:
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Tue May 13, 2014 9:26 pm

Akuji wrote:Basecamp is dead easy but then again we're not all thick coonts :mrgreen:

Quite what that comment has to do with you fook knows.... :getthis)

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Akuji » Tue May 13, 2014 9:41 pm

T.Murphy wrote:
Akuji wrote:Basecamp is dead easy but then again we're not all thick coonts :mrgreen:

Good stuff this spanish bait, must fetch some home :thumbsup) :mrgreen:
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Wed May 14, 2014 11:11 pm

Akuji wrote:
T.Murphy wrote:

C'mon then twat...let's have some piccies . :wink)

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Akuji » Thu May 15, 2014 9:11 am

T.Murphy wrote:
Akuji wrote:
T.Murphy wrote:

Fekk off ya nosey tvat - yer will have to wait till i get home

Salou Beach
Attachments
IMG_0860.JPG
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby barsteward » Thu May 15, 2014 11:00 am

Akuji wrote:
T.Murphy wrote:
Akuji wrote:
T.Murphy wrote:
Akuji wrote:
muttley.jpg
muttley.jpg (16.18 KiB) Viewed 3419 times

Basecamp is dead easy but then again we're not all thick coonts :mrgreen:

Fekk off ya nosey tvat - yer will have to wait till i get home

images.png

Salou Beach
barsteward
Q.O.T.W. Moderator
Q.O.T.W. Moderator

Location: Ex of Rainy Todmorden Where???? now just as rainy Walsden

Postby Akuji » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:48 pm

For those still struggling then i've been using this site which is very informative and makes base camp quite easy to use.

The trick is to not try and do too many things at once, just get used to doing certain tasks etc and it becomes 2nd nature, i'm no expert but i've programmed all the routes for next years trip already and so far all is looking good, famous last words lol

http://garminbasecamp.wikispaces.com
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:34 pm

Akuji wrote:For those still struggling then i've been using this site which is very informative and makes base camp quite easy to use.

The trick is to not try and do too many things at once, just get used to doing certain tasks etc and it becomes 2nd nature, i'm no expert but i've programmed all the routes for next years trip already and so far all is looking good, famous last words lol

http://garminbasecamp.wikispaces.com

Cheers moosh. Added to Favourites. :thumbsup)

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Return to GPS, Sat' Nav' and Bike Comm's