Finding Basecamp hard to understand?

Hints tips and general discussion regarding GPS and Satellite Navigations systems

Moderators: MaXX2, jack

Finding Basecamp hard to understand?

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:18 pm

If you havent got the patience or brains to get on with Basecamp (I for one have neither and still use the dinosaur that is Mapsource) then have a try of this.

https://www.myrouteapp.com

Had a go at Tyre as recommended by Simmo and a few others and not reallly impressed.

myrouteapp I have just tried and seems decent enough so far although havent done too much with it yet. At least I can use it on my tablet unlike Basecamp and Mapsource.

Give it a go and see what you think. Worth a try. :thumbsup)

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Re: Finding Basecamp hard to understand?

Postby Simmo » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:53 pm

T.Murphy wrote:If you havent got the patience or brains to get on with Basecamp (I for one have neither and still use the dinosaur that is Mapsource) then have a try of this.

Had a go at Tyre as recommended by Simmo and a few others and not reallly impressed.

myrouteapp I have just tried and seems decent enough so far although havent done too much with it yet. At least I can use it on my tablet unlike Basecamp and Mapsource.

The app is part of TYRE
Signed up to it a while ago when I was on TYRE I think it's what they want to expand into :thumbsup)
Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten
Simmo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:34 pm

Simmo wrote:
T.Murphy wrote:If you havent got the patience or brains to get on with Basecamp (I for one have neither and still use the dinosaur that is Mapsource) then have a try of this.

The app is part of TYRE
Signed up to it a while ago when I was on TYRE I think it's what they want to expand into :thumbsup)

Aah, I see ( said the the blind man :thumbsup) )

Only dabbling so far but summat annoying straight away........got to log out of the app to access the app forum what the fekkin fekk screwy

Only tried routing so far by using a start point and just wandering around placing waypoints after first zooming in. Simple as Mapsource...err, so far. :oops)

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Oldbull » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:13 am

The main problem with using TYRE and the like is when it comes to uploading to your unit.
The unit detects that the route has been done on a different map data and asks if you want to recalculate ..

It then recalculates and gets you from A to B but it varies the route to suit its map/routing settings which is no good if you want to stick with the B road twisties..

If you choose not to recalculate then the route is just a mess of waypoints paths and dots..

When Simmo and Clive used to send me routes done in TYRE I could never get them to load properly .. I could sort the gist eventually but it was a mare.

Moral is, Make sure the map in your routing program is the same as the one in your unit that its registered with to minimize the gremlins.
Use Basecamp or Mapsource or even TYRE if it lets you install the same map to calculate your routes ( which I have never been able to do) Anything else and for me its just asking for trouble...
I think its a bit like Apple and Android, they dont want you using other peoples software if you get my drift..

Stick with mapsource Tim and plot your routes on your puter before you go... I also found basecamp over complicated so Im sticking with mapsource
which was made for garmins by garmin.. Your Routeapp and Tyre is a Tom Tom thing I think and as I said they dont like you going cross platforms....

Changing tac a minute my 660 has worked well since I had it apart from this Invalid Battery detected thing, Went to Kostas last night and it flashed up about a dozen times in the space of 5 miles :banghead) Done it from new but never this bad. Im in the process of contacting garmin and/ or sourcing a new battery.
Nothing like sat nav gremlins to spoil your day so I want to sort it before season starts proper..

If anyone has heard of this or has any info please shout up because I cant find any :banghead)
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Simmo » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:02 pm

Got to be saying Dave when Clive's sends a route through that he's done on Tyre for his tomtom it reads the same when I have uploaded it to my Garmin

, and a route that I make on Tyre is the same when uploaded to my Garmin

I don't know why you were having problems with it going to your unit perhaps the settings, but no worries if mapsoutce works for you that's good

You northerners will catch up with us soon
Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten
Simmo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Return to GPS, Sat' Nav' and Bike Comm's