Treat me like a virgin...

Hints tips and general discussion regarding GPS and Satellite Navigations systems

Moderators: MaXX2, jack

Treat me like a virgin...

Postby Shlink » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:06 pm

and someone tell me what I need from scratch to mount a Garmin Streetpilot 2720 on my Becky. From scratch, every little bit and item. I'm getting confused out there, Ram, Touratech, home made gizmos, Garmin's own mounting plates. Please help, and after some serious answers, you can pop my cherry all you want, cause I know there'll be vultures hovering upon reading the thread title :D
If assholes could fly, 10 Downing Street would be an airport.
Shlink
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Hugh Janus » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:15 pm

First question Shlink is where and how do you want to mount it. Mine is on the headstock, if this is the route you want to go down ill post up all the details of my setup. I know that others have set up differently.
I have taken to wearing High Heels these days...although the Greenkeeper goes fookin barmy with me
Hugh Janus
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Akuji » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:25 pm

mines on a ram mount on the clutch reservoir 8)
I've Got Mad Cow, What's Your Excuse??......Denny Crane
Akuji
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby jack » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:31 pm

Shlink, think you need.
Motorcycle Mounting Kit for Garmin Street Pilot 2610 (same as the 2720)
http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod2392.html

You'll also need.
Ram-B-238
Ram-B-210
Ram-B-309-1 (if you want to mount it to the clutch res)
From http://www.ram-mount-uk.com/ .....maybe worth a quick phone call to verify the part No.

If you dont want to mount it to the resevoir, Big Kevin does a super mount that goes through the headstock.
The Older I get the Better I Was
jack
Site Admin

Postby Hugh Janus » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:54 pm

Also if your going down the ram route you may want to consider using the ram mount, http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod1941.html instead of the garmin unit, you would then just have to get a power and audio lead http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod2018.html
I have taken to wearing High Heels these days...although the Greenkeeper goes fookin barmy with me
Hugh Janus
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Shlink » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:15 am

Thanks for the informative answers. Any advantages/disadvantages as to mounting on clutch/break reservoir or headstock? I personally think would be nicer on headstock (central, symmetrical... I've got a thing about symmetry :P )
Shlink
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Shlink » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:26 pm

Right. I've opted for the 2720 with RAM mounting kit and Andy Taylor's thingy (not pm'd him yet). Another question: do I need the Garmin cradle and power lead (both sold together)? I want to connect the unit to my Autocom intercom, so how is the Garmin powered? So many components and yet so little info on the relevant sites.
Shlink
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Hugh Janus » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:42 pm

IMHO you'd be better off with the compatible ram cradle and just buy the power and audio lead which can be purchased serarately, and with the Andy Taylor widget you also need to buy a ram ball to screw into the top of the thing. If you ring the gps warehouse and ask to speak to the "ram man" (honest) mention Andy Taylor and he will tell you exactly what you need.
Hugh Janus
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Hugh Janus » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:43 pm

Forgot to mention that the 2720 does not have batteries and must be bike powered.
Hugh Janus
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Shlink » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:50 pm

Thanks mate. I already got the info on RAM parts from the RAM website and they specifically mentioned Andy Taylor's widget. Didn't realise it has no batteries. Does that mean it can't be used off the bike unless plugged into AC power?
Shlink
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Hugh Janus » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:00 pm

correct
Hugh Janus
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Shlink » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:03 pm

Hmmm... bummer. Minor inconvenience I suppose. Thanks for the help mate.
Shlink
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby jack » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:30 pm

The Garmin mount is specificly made for the unit, it comes with the audio and power lead combined in one, it also locks the unit in place with a safety screw and believe me you would have to break the unit and the mount to take it from the bike (not much good to a thief) and just in case your thinking that you would'nt leave it on the bike, then what about when you fill up with gas ?, it also has a visual tab, so you can tell at a glance if it is locked in place.
You will also need a Autocom lead
The Older I get the Better I Was
jack
Site Admin

Postby Hugh Janus » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:55 pm

Further to jacks previous previous post and in relation specifically to my own setup, the reason went for the ram mount is because the gps unit clips in and out without the need for a screwdriver, this was important to me because the ram extension piece that i have used is tightened by hand with a plastic wingnut. So any potential thief would not need to remove the unit from the cradle, but simply undo the wingnut and nick the whole kit. I am resigned to the fact that whenever I am away from the bike I have to just pop the unit out of the cradle and stuff it in my pocket. Also I wasnt sure if there is an adaptor to bring the ram components and the garmin cradle together.
Hugh Janus
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby natrebben » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:06 am

Can anyone put me in touch with Andy Taylor i want one of his widgets :P
natrebben
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Return to GPS, Sat' Nav' and Bike Comm's