Virginal Help in deleting routes in my new SP3 !

Hints tips and general discussion regarding GPS and Satellite Navigations systems

Moderators: MaXX2, jack

Virginal Help in deleting routes in my new SP3 !

Postby russ_fae_fyvie » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:11 pm

Got my 'discounted' SP3 from Garmin and am just trying to find my way around it, it works ok now all the 'tweaks' have been done but there are a couple of (probably!) simple things I can't figure out!

Firstly, I have put in a couple of routes (using Mapsource and downloading to the USB device with the memory stick in it) however I don't know how to delete them ! I looked at the manual and looking at the unit itself it only has one Route in the 'Routes List' which can be saved but I cant get rid of it ?

Next it that although the Mapsource prog says its sent a new route to the memory stick successfully, it isn't in the list of 'Current Routes'

Basically I am having trouble getting the routes into the unit and then deleting them again once I dont want them ?

Help !!
russ_fae_fyvie
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby jack » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:11 pm

russ_fae_fyvie, sorry I've only just seen this post. Just a quickie reply and will answer better tomorrow, if needed.

First off, I think what you are using is a com link and not a usb, with the SP3

Second, when you 'download' your routes to the device make sure you have selected all of them, I'm not saying that you have'nt, only that this is a common mistake when downloading and only getting one route.

Third. When you download new routes to the memory card you overwrite the previous routes so there is no need to delete them.

Hope this helps but if you do need further explantion, then pop up another post.
I'll try better next time :D
The Older I get the Better I Was
jack
Site Admin

Postby russ_fae_fyvie » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:59 pm

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the reply, I am working through it with the following result !

First of all I am using the USB Card Programmer to copy the info from MapSource to the Card itself, after what you said I checked the card (uploaded from it to the PC to see which route was on it) and as you say the latest Route was there.

However even though I know it is on there, when I stick it into the Garmin it doesn't see it, I go to ROUTE then LIST and all it has in the CURRENT ROUTE window is the old route I originally made up, I can't delete it. There are no routes in the SAVED ROUTES window and it will only put the old route in there if i try to save ?

There is probably something simple to let me upload the route from the memory card to the unit but I'm buggered if I can see it !!!

Cheers

I've just noticed as well, I can get rid of the old route in the unit by manually inputting a new route in the unit itself, but I still can't get it to read the memory card with the new info on it ?
russ_fae_fyvie
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby jack » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:52 pm

russ_fae_fyvie

Are you sending the routes to the unit or to the card? The card just holds maps and the routes and waypoints need to be sent directly to the unit.

Lets know if that works :wink)
jack
Site Admin

Postby russ_fae_fyvie » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:49 pm

Ah !
Problem is my PC (a Dell Dimension) doesn't seem to have a serial port ! I've only had it 6 months and to be honest haven't needed one because everything nowadys uses USB ports. I've just had a good look around the PC and there is no serial or parallel port so I'm buggered !
I suppose I will have to see if they supply a USB version ?
russ_fae_fyvie
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby jack » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:56 pm

Think you can get a USB to serial hub but don't know for sure :|
jack
Site Admin

Postby Shuggie » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:23 pm

Yup your suffering the same prob as me Russ, as Jack said it is defo the problem connecting the SP3 to the puter. I've not been able to carry routes from the puter to the unit for a while and I reckon there's updates for the unit that'll be missing as well.
I've a bid on fleabay at the mo for a usb-serial lead. Now fer fook sake don't go outbidding a fellow Scot :wink)
Never take life seriously....
Nobody makes it out alive anyway!!
Shuggie
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby REEFER » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:25 pm

and it just so happens i have one up for grabs :D
bought it to upload to my powercommander which is serial from my laptop which only has USB ports!
used once cost £25 plus vat and is yours for £15 plus postage..gotta be a bargin :)
Lifes too short to eat cheap food!
top tip..dont enter the blackwall tunnel with 3m headroom when driving 3.02 height!!!!!!
motor home build finished 15 months later!!

Image Image Image Image
REEFER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Shuggie » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:29 pm

You could always type in Usb Serial cable into Fleabay and pick one up for about a fiver.

Sorry Reefer :bigcry:
Shuggie
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby REEFER » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:35 pm

yup but theres micky mouse and theres quality..mine comes with a setup cd also :) ..its here sitting right next to the post box if needed :mrgreen:
top tip..dont enter the blackwall tunnel with 3m headroom when driving 3.02 height!!!!!!

Image Image Image Image
REEFER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Shuggie » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:38 pm

I think I'm getting mine from Mr Meagi , Reefer san!!

Must be quality :P
Shuggie
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby russ_fae_fyvie » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:16 pm

Just bought a pucker one from a PC components place in Aberfreeze for a tenner so I'll see if the little bugger works tonight !!
If not, then Reefer old son, I'll be after your's !!
russ_fae_fyvie
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby REEFER » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:31 pm

packing it as i type :wink)

Image Image Image Image
REEFER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby russ_fae_fyvie » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:09 pm

Sorry mate that one I bought worked !!

Jack, now that its all connected up properly it is working just as it should, thanks for the pointers because I hadn't got a clue !!

All sweetness and light now !!

:mrgreen:
russ_fae_fyvie
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby REEFER » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:29 am

glad you got it sorted :)
ill just nip off and break the news to the kids..no chicken dippers for a while again just porrige oats for a few days again until something turns up gloomy ..still its not so bad with plenty of salt on it..kinda grows on you :cry)
still if you should change your mind ill take £1.09 as iceland have a special on the dippers and they were so looking forward to tasting them once again since christmas dinner :(

Image Image Image Image
REEFER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby russ_fae_fyvie » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:15 am

:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:
russ_fae_fyvie
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby REEFER » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:17 am

NO NO dont feel guilty m8 :bigcry:

Image Image Image Image
REEFER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to GPS, Sat' Nav' and Bike Comm's