chain and sprockets

Problem with the Blackbird ?
Then check into the out patients for advice and diagnostics from our very ownteam of Super-Blackbird technical guru's & members alike!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Postby BirdAddict » Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:19 pm

It's an easy job, but you will need a chain breaker for the job, they can be quite expensive so unless you intend to use it quite often, it may be cheaper for the garage to do it for you.
Also you may have to remove a few links from the new chain and don't re tighten the link too much as this will damage it.
Image …Ride carefully. It's not only bikes that can be recalled by their maker.
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby BirdAddict » Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:59 pm

You will need the tool to put the new link in. This tool usualy has both functions in one (breaker/riviter) but is not always the case as you can get a single purpose chain breaker
Image …Ride carefully. It's not only bikes that can be recalled by their maker.
BirdAddict
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Gizzit » Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:23 pm

Word of warning though Lody, DO NOT be tempted to use one of those split links to join the new chain. What some do is fit the new chain themselves, and join with a split link, then carefully ride down to a bike mechanic and have it properly riveted. This way you don't have to buy any expensive tools. You could always remove the old chain with an angle grinder to save shelling out on the splitter tool.
Can't catch me ................... Image
Gizzit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby TazCBR1100XX » Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:40 pm

I've got a tool for cam chains lody, so if you fancy changing that big heavy chain for something the size of a cam chain you can borrow my jointing tool :mrgreen: Think of all the extra miles per gallon you should get with the lighter chain :D
TazCBR1100XX

Return to The Out Patients