Head Stock Bearings

Problem with the Blackbird ?
Then check into the out patients for advice and diagnostics from our very ownteam of Super-Blackbird technical guru's & members alike!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Head Stock Bearings

Postby Fettler » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:57 pm

Just had the bike in for MOT :sick)
Failed on headstock bearing worn to excess - :banghead)
Question is does anyone have any advice / tips when replacing ?
Keep the answers sensible please lol
Fettler
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: Head Stock Bearings

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:56 am

Hi Fettler. You snowed in up there yet? :mrgreen:

It's pretty straightforward if you're used to basic maintenance.

Tips? Replace with taper head bearings from Jaws, supposed to be better wearing.
Before fitting the bottom bearing onto the headsto....(sorry, "triple tree" as the merkins like to say FFS's :banghead) ) ensure the headstock is nice and cold and the bearing nice and warm ( pop the headstock into the freezer for a short while and the bearing in the microwa...nahhhh, lightly warm oven) That way the bearing will just sort of plop on and you wont have to twat and twat and twat with an 'ammer and tube and damage the bottom seal under the bearing like what I once did cos I couldn't be arsed to do it right. :oops)

Use a torque wrench on reassembly and take ya fekkin time.

Job's a good un :thumbsup)

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Gallaibh » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:05 am

Er, innit the other way round, bearing nice an cold so it shrinks a bit and warm headstock so it gets a bit bigger??(I aint a merknik, it's still a headstock to me)

I did my last one that way, bearing in freezer and warmed up the headsock with a hot air paint stripper, carefully.

If I is wrong please feel free to hurl abuse :thumbsup)
Gallaibh
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby MaXX2 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:28 pm

Gallaibh wrote:Er, innit the other way round, bearing nice an cold so it shrinks a bit and warm headstock so it gets a bit bigger??(I aint a merknik, it's still a headstock to me)

I did my last one that way, bearing in freezer and warmed up the headsock with a hot air paint stripper, carefully.

If I is wrong please feel free to hurl abuse :thumbsup)

Okay... will do! Nice of you to offer you daft fookin arse!! lol lol lol

Metal expands when heated and contracts when cooled.... therefore if one wants a nice big bearing hole to slip over and nice little headstock you heat the bearing and chill the stock... ya fookin numpty :D :D

HOWEVER... (and this is the source of your confusion me thinks)

When one is fitting WHEEL bearings, one cools them and heats the hub because, because one is fitting the outer race of the bearing into the hub rather than (as with the headstock) slipping the inner race of the bearing over a pin. Now stop talking like an ol' fookin fanny fart on my website lol lol lol lol

I really enjoyed that and thank you very much for the opportunity :notworthy) :notworthy) :clap: :clap: :mrgreen:
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Gallaibh » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:59 pm

Thank you, showered and cleaned now after getting covered in it.

I now see my confusion. To me the headstock is the bit on the frame with the hole in it that the steerer goes into with the bearings on, that bit I understand. That triple tree or worevva doo-dad I call a steering stem.

But what about the outer bit of the bearing, does that not have to go in to the headstock, the metal ring bit what the bearings sit on? That's the bit I was thinking about. I is asking sensibly now coz at my last MOT blokey said they were getting a bit of a notch but not enough to fail then, but would probably next time so I'll put a new set in for next year.

I need to stick by personal rule 13b:- Better to let people think I'm a twat, than open me gob and have it confirmed lol
Gallaibh
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby aj » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:36 pm

bought my last bearing from a bearing shop
... took it to a mechannanicking fella who fitted it... :thumbsup)

no flappin about here... :mrgreen:

regards
aj :wink)

remember... i know nuffin about everything so don't believe a word i say
aj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to The Out Patients