Hot running EFI idea. BAD IDEA!

Problem with the Blackbird ?
Then check into the out patients for advice and diagnostics from our very ownteam of Super-Blackbird technical guru's & members alike!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Hot running EFI idea. BAD IDEA!

Postby JayB » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:09 pm

Anyone thought of or tried putting a heat shield inbetween the downpipes and the rad?

I know some of the problem is airflow, but surely heat soak from the downpipes into the rad has got to be partly to blame.

My ZX-12R had a bare alloy radiator rather than black, surely reflects heat out better?

But lookign around at heat wrap and stuff, I remembered when I had some turbo cars when I was a late-teenager, and I put a heatshield in front of the turbo / behind the rad on my RS turbo and it stopped that overheating in summer.

If there is room (can't think, only had the fairing off once so far) I might give it a shot. My mate is a fabricator so I could probably get something done with this.

Anyone want to shoot me down now? :roll)
Last edited by JayB on Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
2002 BLACKBird
JayB
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Re: Hot running EFI idea.

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:12 pm

JayB wrote:Anyone thought of or tried putting a heat shield inbetween the downpipes and the rad?

I know some of the problem is airflow, but surely heat soak from the downpipes into the rad has got to be partly to blame.

My ZX-12R had a bare alloy radiator rather than black, surely reflects heat out better?

But lookign around at heat wrap and stuff, I remembered when I had some turbo cars when I was a late-teenager, and I put a heatshield in front of the turbo / behind the rad on my RS turbo and it stopped that overheating in summer.

If there is room (can't think, only had the fairing off once so far) I might give it a shot. My mate is a fabricator so I could probably get something done with this.

Anyone want to shoot me down now?

Carry on JayB and keep us all posted of your progress eh. :thumbsup)

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby MaXX2 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:54 am

Give it a go pal. Be surpised if it worked, given that the carb models are built the same and the heat soak from the downpipes doesn't have much of an effect on it. The colour of the radiator is neither here nor there. It's pretty much firmly accepted now that black doesn't soak up heat at all and white doesn't reflect heat either. They DO soak up and reflect LIGHT and the old assumption was that that had some effect on temp. Simple experiments with cars have proved that a white car and a black car left out on a hot sunny day, maintain the same internal temperature.

Exhaust wrap is easily found and fitted. It's also ugly, soaks up salty water and when the water evaporates off, it just leaves the salt snuggled up to your downpipes. If they're decent quality stainless, shouldn't matter too much.

The guard idea doesn't ring my bell too loud. It sounds like a light metal plate across the front of the downpipes (unless I'm misunderstanding), if it is the case though, won't t that simply block airflow through the downpipes and across the front of the engine block? If so won't that cause a pretty sharp, localised heat sink against the engine block itself? If so, and bearing in mind that the front of the engine block is actually about 30-36% of the outer wall of the cooling sleeve for the whole engine (and the one with the most airflow) isn't that likely to simply heat up the water that you're trying to keep cool. I doubt it would be dangerous, but will it achieve the desired end? From experience, blocking airflow across the rad or the front of the engine isn't particularly desirable :mrgreen:

Don't forget though, that Honda KNEW that the infected bike would run hot and that's why when they redesigned the XX to be infected, they also redesigned the cooling system as well. The rad is different and the oil cooler is bigger. In other words, they designed the oil cooler to protect oil viscosity (because they knew that it's life was about to become very warm) and the radiator/downpipes/ engine front were all designed to disipate heat through the airflow they have available.

BUT... (and dramatically saving the best and most obvious to last :mrgreen: ) Honda knew your bike would HAVE to run hot because they took away more than 50% of the engine's cool air supply when the fitted ram air. The air flow through the nose inlets of the infected XX, is piped to the airbox to raise pressure there and increase the performance of the bike. On the carb models, the air through the nose inlets is guided (by a beautifully shaped plastic plate) straight down onto the oil cooler and radiator... and at 30, 50 or 100+ MPH that's a shed full of luvly cool air keeping my angel fresh and beautiful, whilst your bike is having all that air rammed down her throat in a desperate attempt produce enough performance to allow you to keep up with me. lol lol

So for me at least, back to square 1. My bike's cool because Soichiro san designed it that way. Your bike's hot for exactly the same reason. But again... that's just one untutored opinion innit :mrgreen:
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby JayB » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:03 am

MaXX2 - lol

Ignore me, I've been under the fairing now and realise how little space there is.... still, it was a good idea, had the space been better.

I think I need to ride another EFI one and see how hot that gets before I stop worrying (probably about feck all) I just can't help shitting myself once I see 100 degrees, but I suppose under pressure that is fine.

Why are they meant to run so hot compared to carbies then? Is it for efficiency?
2002 BLACKBird
JayB
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Re: Hot running EFI idea. BAD IDEA!

Postby MaXX2 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:39 pm

JayB wrote:MaXX2 - lol

Ignore me, I've been under the fairing now and realise how little space there is.... still, it was a good idea, had the space been better.

I think I need to ride another EFI one and see how hot that gets before I stop worrying (probably about feck all) I just can't help shitting myself once I see 100 degrees, but I suppose under pressure that is fine.

Why are they meant to run so hot compared to carbies then? Is it for efficiency?

Keep the ideas coming pal :thumbsup) S'nice to read fresh things and feel free to just 'think loud' around here, you'll never get kicked for it on this site. Folks may agree with you, they may look at it from a different angle and you might come up with the next sliced loaf, but whatever... you're a member here, so sound off, ask away and help out as much as you're comfortable with. For the record, your idea isn't bad. Just from my end, I thought the exhaust wrap may have some merit. The heat has to go somewhere, so why not down the pipe :-?

A simple thing you can check for though, is a sludged up radiator matrix. It's not always easy to see without getting down and actually looking for it (with a torch behind the rad and you at the front). What happens is that over the years, endless tons of water, containing mud, 'oss and cow shit, flies, and other bugs etc etc, all get slung back through the rad and some small trace of it sticks. Then more sticks to that, and more to that and so on and so on... The problem is, that all that crap and crud is then baked firmly between the cooling fins, by your 102 degree radiator, which will reduce the capacity of the radiator to disipate the heat, simply because the air isn't getting through the matrix itself.

Some have (carefully) used pressure washers, some cocktail sticks and painstaking work followed by a hosing down and others remove the rad altogether and submerge it in a bucket of water for 2 or 3 days to loosen it up and then hose it out. At the same time gently reshape any bent fins (gravel does hit the thing). Whichever way, the result is instant and worthwhile. If your bike were mine, that's probably where I'd start looking when it comes to cooling
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Poacher » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:46 pm

JayB wrote:MaXX2 - lol

100 no problem :mrgreen: constantly at that temp in slow traffic and as long as the fan controls it at that you have nothing to worry about.

Last year had mine up to 126!!!!! but I did strip out rad and clean throgh winter cos that wayyyyyy too high :thumbsup)
'The Poacher'
Poacher
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby JayB » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:40 pm

Cheers guys, I have hosed the rad through a couple of times which did have an effect and have decided to leave it on for now.
As I said, I've changed the coolant, which on previous neglected, hot-running bikes, has helped matters to an extent.
Think I will get on my hands and knees again and see what I can find to inspect the fins and poke any debris out - good idea on the cocktail sticks.
Looking like it's pretty normal to run hot, so am accepting the fact a little more, my mate's 954 gets hot very quickly too but if I can make a difference wuth a good flush and clean then it's worth the effort.
2002 BLACKBird
JayB
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby JayB » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:50 pm

2002 BLACKBird
JayB
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby MaXX2 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:45 am

Very pretty.... and as a bonus you can fluff up your perm with it once the fins are strightened out :D :D

Use a small electrical screwdriver to straighten the fins, you fookin fairy lol
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:47 am

This is getting to sound like an anal challenge and for that reason , I'm out !

Hold on to ya hats everbody Woooohhoooooo !!!!!

(Already ordered and received that there fin comb; it's ideal for my knotted anal hair too)

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby JayB » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:13 am

Ha ha, but that's cheaper than an electrical screwdriver round 'ere.

I though it looked a lot easier doing several fins at once, I can't be sat there for a fookin week straightening fins, I DO NOT have the patience for that shite...

plus i can comb my chest before bed time ! :mrgreen:
2002 BLACKBird
JayB
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby JayB » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:40 pm

Changed my coolant at the weekend and it did seem to run a few degrees cooler and take a little bit longer to see the temperature rising than previous, so was worth doing.
I just can't seem to get a proper idea on the level of the coolant reservoir! It's impossible to see through.
2002 BLACKBird
JayB
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Return to The Out Patients