dull knock proper head scratcher

Problem with the Blackbird ?
Then check into the out patients for advice and diagnostics from our very ownteam of Super-Blackbird technical guru's & members alike!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

dull knock proper head scratcher

Postby Tonyj » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:10 pm

six or so weeks ago i had issue in france , long boring story, battery died and heard a knocking noise from rear of engine , duly rode to the le honda shop in grenoble and with a lot of speaking loud and slowly i managed to ask whats this noise , he said its the cct ? and said the camshaft bearing possibly ? ( i took that to be french for having a guess )that said the noise is low and at cct side which has been replaced, it only starts to make a noise when you load or unload the throttle , (backlash ,cct guides ) its a knock and ive had the bike from new , its 08 with 2500 mile. so i know the sounds it makes ,this aint one of them . no real vibes at the bars and if it was ends , mech said the would have gone in five mins
spoke with john at jaws but he was about to go on his hols so no real joy there , have been to a local honda man whose never had any issues he could point to, so went to honda dealers who said it might be balance shafts, another guess , ive adjusted these and some noise has gone but not related , the knock is only apparrent when its hot , the bike had just had its 24000service , have asked mech what oil he put in , and he said semi, thought it might be this but am clutching at straws, trouble for me the local honda mech is a mate of a mate who i could trust until he broke the tail piece , then as much blamed me cheeky barstard , he said he's worried about the bike in his shop/yard/garage,and only wants to do routine service work.so basically jog on. the main honda dealers in my area said about the shafts . but have since found out he used to sell ferking crash helmets a few year ago , now top technician , also the knob who broke my bike is their man who comes in the shop to sort stuff , so really could do with a reliable person who knows his stuff
any advice welcome as long as it is reasonable you can call me on 07831108802 tony( darn sarff) :banghead) :bigcry:
Tonyj
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Re: dull knock proper head scratcher

Postby MaXX2 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:38 am

Eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the fault.

Does this noise happen in neutral on the stand? You say that it only happens when hot and you 'load up the engine' Do you actually mean when the engine's warm and you load up the clutch and drive train.

Test no. 1 . Get the bike on the centre stand and make tsure the rear wheel is off the ground (put a length of inch thick timber under the centre stand should do the job). Warm the engine in neutral. Rev the engine wildly up and down ie 'load it up' Any knocking noise? If not, forget the engine because the knocking's coming from the drive train (the parts that are at rest during this test)

Test 2. And be careful with this. Make sure the rear wheel is clear of the floor. With the engine still running and hot, clutch in and select first. Cltch out and let it idle with the rear wheel spinning. Listen for your noise. Where's it coming from (your description of noise from the front right by the CCT means it's probably the clutch and that can mean possible dodgy plates or more likey. worn broken springs. They would cause the snoises you've got... BUT I hesitate, because I've never heard of such a thing on a 'bird let alone a 2008 one).

With the wheel off the floor and spinning, get a mate to run it up and down the box and use the throttle to get the noise going and you listen to where it's actually coming from.

If it is the clutch plates/springs the repair is easy and fairly cheap so don't worry. If it's something else, well, we can look at that as and when you've found the fault.

Hope it helps

Mick

I ask because the knocking you describe sounds like the drive train rather than the engine so changing the CCT and adjusting the
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby MaXX2 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:44 am

BTW... moved to Oot Patients for obvious reasons :thumbsup)
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Tonyj » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:15 pm

Thanks for the reply
Tonyj
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby Tonyj » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:46 pm

I will do as you suggest. The problem arose when I was in France I could hear a noise from cct side , but having had one go on my storm I'm aware of the sound they can make , this had a slight rattle and the French mechanic indicated this (Honda) . He said in broken English cct possibly camshaft bearing , I feel he was guessing at this point and has they had no facility to resolve I brought it home.
To date I've visited three local mechanics , two Honda one general, one alluded to balance shafts others said they had no idea so this left me to post rough description of condition,ill try to be a little precise with conditions and I'm not taking the Micky
Just to be clear. Bike is 08 full Honda service on time owned from new by me
When the bikes started from cold no audible sound from anything.when the bike starts to warm up and get up to temp 80/100 deg you can hear a noise on over run ie when you shut throttle when bike is moving ? But this can be heard and made to knock when the bike is stationary in neutral , I've not tried in gear with clutch in yet.
Bike in neutral on main stand rev bike and as the revs drop you can hear a dull rhythmic knock in keeping with the engine slowing down, suggestions. Made have been cct guides ,bearing on clutch shaft?( Don't know what that is), exhaust leaking still to investigate, was told if it was mains the would be shot now, thought about oil in bike ? It only just had 24k service before I went to france. Really puzzled by this not sure if its gonna ratel to motor as one mech said run it till it breaks
I am waiting for John (jaws)to come of holiday , he said there was a fella in South Wales who is in the know on birds but was hoping for a bit nearer as I'm in leigh on sea essex
Hope this help with some direction I'm desperate not ridden in 8 weeks
Tonyj
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby MaXX2 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:05 am

Well, you needn't worry about the drive train now, if the noise is there in neutral, it's in the engine. Frankly the engine doesn't have a weakness that we don't cause ourselves. If it were my bike I'd be back to basics. First sort the exhaust! If it's popping down off the throttle, it could easily be a simple manifold gasket or an air leak causing noise in the exhaust chambers.

If not, ditch the oil and replace with a known semi-synth, then test. Check and double check coolant level and as a last resort, re-adjust the balancer shafts as Honda recommend.

As a huge favour... could you post technical stuff in long hand rather than as if you're texting? Leave some spaces and break things up a bit? I'm reasonably tech savvy and have even managed the odd flash of intelligence during my short (but colourful) life, but I genuinely get a headache trying to work out what "...was told if it was mains the would be shot now" and that sort of thing even mean :wink)

For the record though, I think your problem is more likely to be simple than deep down complex, unless the bike was previously owned by an utter knob-end who managed to run it without oil or something similar :thumbsup)
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Tonyj » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:56 am

Thanks for the reply
Tonyj
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby MaXX2 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:46 am

Pleasure pal. The exhaust... Don't forget the exhaust :wink)
MaXX2
Site Admin

Return to The Out Patients