headlight bulbs

Problem with the Blackbird ?
Then check into the out patients for advice and diagnostics from our very ownteam of Super-Blackbird technical guru's & members alike!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

headlight bulbs

Postby kibo » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:09 pm

gents anybody got any info/advice as now on 3rd headlight bulb on new xx; an its doin me head in :pullhair .only had it 5 months. never replaced any bulb in 7 years on old one. It just affects the main beam (sometimes comes back on temp ) but ridin home in dark last nite just on the pilot light wasn't fun :shock) . full beam works fine and the last bulb was brand new so cant fig it out......any help/advice ( apart from the almost certain piss takes :P lol) would be great. Ta
kibo
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Re: headlight bulbs

Postby TRIPPO » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:47 pm

3 bulbs! You need a Hid kit :thumbsup)
There,s only one good ride!!!!!
One that you return home safely from!!!!! Make sure you do!!!!!
Casualty is full of people who thought they new better

Regards John

TRIPPO
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Location: Coventry At the Weekends!!!! In the week....Fooooook no's

Postby MaXX2 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:51 pm

Check your charging system first Kibo. It's free and doesn't take long. Something's popping bulbs and it can only be an excess of power. So iffy reg/rec or dodgy earth are the first things I'd look for, with the charging system being first under suspicion :mrgreen:

I might just suggest sooner rather than later too pal. If it happens to be the reg/rec or something else down there, carrying on regardless is generally a bad idea. Bulbs are sensitive things and they're talking to you at the moment. Ignore them, and something much less sensitive (and far more expensive) might just be joining in the conversation quite soon :thumbsup)

http://ixxra.co.uk/v-web/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22743
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby MaXX2 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:56 pm

TRIPPO wrote:3 bulbs! You need a Hid kit :thumbsup)

HID kit FFS... to try and gloss over a possible electrical failure :shock) Should be fookin ashamed of yersel :mrgreen:

I'm reminded of a suggestion from years ago though, that a good repair for a frequently blowing 10amp fuse was to replace it.... with a 20 amp fuse lol lol
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Coggy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:44 pm

MaXX2 wrote:

I'm reminded of a suggestion from years ago though, that a good repair for a frequently blowing 10amp fuse was to replace it.... with a 20 amp fuse lol lol

Not forgetting a little two stroke oil for conductivity
:mrgreen:
Coggy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby kibo » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:02 pm

Thanks for advice from all; gonna look into it tomorrow and will let you know.... bulb wasn't blown tho screwy replaced it and all connectors look ok....but maxx idea is where im thinking of;rang couple bike places I use ;thought could be relay/double earth ; but def gonna get to bottom it........at least im good at changing bulbs on xx now lol :P
kibo
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby MaXX2 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:15 am

kibo wrote:Thanks for advice from all; gonna look into it tomorrow and will let you know.... bulb wasn't blown tho screwy replaced it and all connectors look ok....but maxx idea is where im thinking of;rang couple bike places I use ;thought could be relay/double earth ; but def gonna get to bottom it........at least im good at changing bulbs on xx now lol :P

Sorry, I misunderstood! That puts a different complexion on things as I thjought you'd changed the bulbs because they'd blown.

You have a loose wire or a dodgy switch. I can't figure which one because the OP mentions '3rd headlight bulb' and 'only affecting the main beam'. Headlights and main beams being two seperate entities, leaves me out of it! It should be easy to trace though. Figure which bulb is affected, whip the connector off the back of it and have a wiggle with the two wires, making sure they're firmly fitted in the black plastic connector, corrosion free and that each individual connector has a good grip on the bulb terminal.

If that's not the problem, download the wiring diagram and trace the earth and live wires back through the loom paying particular attention to any connector blocks along the way. Whilst it's possible for a wire to go half way down it's length, it's highly, HIGHLY unlikely without some direct damage to it.

If you arrive back at the switch connector block without a fault, the switch may be the issue. They can be removed easily enough, cleaned out with a good blast of aerosol contact cleaner whilst flicking the switch on and off, then, once the contact cleaner has evaporated out, a quick squirt of WD40 or ACF50 if you have it, should finish it off nicely.

Good luck and have fun :mrgreen:

Mick
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Oldbull » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:17 am

Sort the fault then fit HID kit
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby jono49 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:31 am

Remember most of the wires in the wiring loom problem are "Earths".......But before thee starts pulling wires and plugs off everywhere......Do as Maxx say's and check the charging circuit! it should regulate at 14.4 volts, any more and a blown bulb has been the clue to the problem!
Life is a series of moments!...Let your spare moments be on two wheels...
Bikeless
jono49
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby kibo » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:32 pm

first thanks to every ones help /advice :notworthy) esp mick......now the piss takin starts lol ...spent hours on Tuesday; stripped all givi rack; tail unit front cowel etc and did full checks ;everthin testin perfect but brand new bulb still not working ;must be the bloody wires on the connector block after all :evil) ( least I know rec/reg etc perfect :rockon) ) but couldn't see anything wrong screwy screwy then standin there ( havin tested bulb couple times direct in bulb block a light went on duh ( pun intended ) as realised only bit iv not tested is the POXY LITTLE BLACK BLOCK CONNECTOR BETWEEN THE BULB AND BLOCK :banghead) :banghead) :banghead) :banghead) jawdropping looked inside and 1 of the pins was damaged very slightly (prob from previous owner/garage ?) but enough to become loose :evil) :evil) :banghead) :banghead) BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSTTTTARD :pullhair SO swapped over with full beam one AND HEY PRESTO THE BUGGER WORKS :bigcry: :banghead) jawdropping lol . COURSE could have told some technical fib and saved my self years of piss takin......but NAH lol lol lol lol some bugger would find out .......so hope you all have good giggle :getthis) lol and enjoy my frustration ......but thanks again for all the help advice.....looking forward to meeting up soon :notworthy)
kibo
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby Mister Majestik » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:33 pm

but put a 30 amp fuse to make sure it stays that way :thumbsup)

you know it makes sense :wink)
Last edited by Mister Majestik on Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mister Majestik
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:21 pm

What a load of fekkin idiots on this site.

:banghead)

There's on'y me an' Maxx2 that's got any fekkin sense on here.

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby kibo » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:42 pm

I aint bitin tim :thumbsup) lol
kibo
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby MaXX2 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:01 am

You had a dose of 'Can't be that' syndrome :mrgreen: I... errr.. never had that before. I always... errrm... check the obvious first and leave the ummm... complicated stuff till... well... anyway... yannaaaagh :mrgreen:
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby bluegas » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:33 pm

ramo wrote:but put a 30 amp fuse to make sure it stays that way :thumbsup)

you know it makes sense :wink)

Or you could do what I used to do in my Vauxhall Viva, wrap the broken fuse in a milk bottle top, they never blow then :thumbsup)
bluegas
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Mister Majestik » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:33 pm

Yep bluegas

I like the belt and braces appoach :thumbsup)

lol
Mister Majestik
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Return to The Out Patients