dodgy High Beam

Problem with the Blackbird ?
Then check into the out patients for advice and diagnostics from our very ownteam of Super-Blackbird technical guru's & members alike!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

dodgy High Beam

Postby Big_Col » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:27 pm

Good afternoon all, i am new to the forum. I have owned my bird for about 4 months and am loving it.
Just like to say high to you all before i ask some damn fool questions.

Recently the High beam seems to stop working then come on again, dipped works fine and stays on all the time.
I have tried a number of things to put this right but to no avail.
I have replaced the headlight sub loom with new, also both the right and left hand switch gear has been replaced with new as have all the bulbs

i have tried a relay from a friends bird and that did not help
Also without a bulb in the connector block there is enough charge to light a simple circuit tester as soon as a i put a bulb in the charge dissappears

Any ideas

Many thanks
Col
Big_Col
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Re: dodgy High Beam

Postby Simmo » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:03 am

Big_Col wrote:Good afternoon all, i am new to the forum. I have owned my bird for about 4 months and am loving it.
Just like to say high to you all before i ask some damn fool questions.

Recently the High beam seems to stop working then come on again, dipped works fine and stays on all the time.
I have tried a number of things to put this right but to no avail.
I have replaced the headlight sub loom with new, also both the right and left hand switch gear has been replaced with new as have all the bulbs

i have tried a relay from a friends bird and that did not help
Also without a bulb in the connector block there is enough charge to light a simple circuit tester as soon as a i put a bulb in the charge dissappears

Any ideas

Many thanks
Col

welcome to Ixxra Col :thumbsup)
i dont know the answer to your question but for the guys to answer it they will probably want to know year the xx is .
my only suggestion would be a bad earth (has the loom fix been done) ? but im no mechanic/electrician

someone will be along soon able to help you

simmo
Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten
Simmo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Big_Col » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:21 am

Sorry it is a 2002 FI bird, not sure what the "loom fix" is.

Thanks for the reply
Big_Col
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Postby Oldbull » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:50 am

Hi ya Coll ... The loom fix causes a lot of the gremlins on the Fi bikes, not that its the cause of your problem but it does sound like an earth fault
so worth having a read here mate :thumbsup)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2816
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby MaXX2 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:47 am

Provided this fault affects only one light as you say, it's unlikely to be an earth UNLESS, the earth is dodgy from the 6 inches from the connector set up to the loom. The reason is that the lighting system front and rear (including the clocks) share a common earth (solid green wire on mine) and if there's a fault deep in the loom or at the earth connection, more than one component would be affected. A few inched back from the bulb, the main beam and headlight earths join. If the earth there or behind there was duff, both the headlight and main beam are very likely to be playing up etc etc

You've probably checked, but it's worth doing again thoroughly, the connector set-up at the back of the bulb. It's an odd sod (Honda borrowed the loom from an oolder model which was running dual filament bulbs and had to convert the connectore to supply a two single filaments instead) with a connector block with two wires, attaching to a round sub-connector which in turn, attaches to the bulb itself. Usually with a bulb specific issue like this, that connector array or wiring very close to it, is the fault and it isn't always easy to actually see. A careful double check with a multimeter might be the way forward. Once connected, turn the light on and if you get a reading, tweak and twiddle with the connectors in situ. If there's a fault there, it should bounce the reading around.

Not to forget that the live and earth wires at that point are individual (outside the common earth wire and light specific) so be sure to fully check both.

Hope it helps.

Mick
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Return to The Out Patients