LED

Problem with the Blackbird ?
Then check into the out patients for advice and diagnostics from our very ownteam of Super-Blackbird technical guru's & members alike!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

LED

Postby DaveCh42 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:39 pm

Has anyone tried LED lights in their Bird yet and what are the results?
Yorkshire, Gods own county-Bring it on
DaveCh42
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Re: LED

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:04 am

DaveCh42 wrote:Has anyone tried LED lights in their Bird yet and what are the results?

Whereabouts?

Got an LED in the parking light which is brighter than the standard Honda headlight, just got new led front indicators inc Daytime Running Lights and an LED rear light unit. All are fantastic in comparison tomold stuff. And of course, an HID for the headlight. :thumbsup)

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby DaveCh42 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:06 am

I am thinking about using LED for my headlight provision. and was wondering if anyone else had experience of them.
My plan is to use 5000k (over that the light scatters too much )
HID looks good but only for low beam. and its fuchkin expensive
Might also try using a relay instead of LED (even cheaper)
In the research phase at the moment gathering information.
DaveCh42
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby Simmo » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:53 pm

Hi I have one as do Ramo not to expensive about £27 for 2 and haven't any problems I have 6000k bulb :thumbsup)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xenon-HID-Con ... 4d04904cb0
Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten
Simmo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby DaveCh42 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:26 pm

HID how does that work with using high beam?
looks very cheap. In fact cheaper than most LED systems
DaveCh42
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby Simmo » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:15 pm

DaveCh42 wrote:HID how does that work with using high beam?
looks very cheap. In fact cheaper than most LED systems

Hi Dave I don't use the high beam no need , although you could put one in if you like
Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten
Simmo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby DaveCh42 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:51 pm

That's kinda what I mean. Low beam and high beam for a reason. HID super naff for a high beam.
would like a system that works for both low and high.
Which for me ends up coming down to LED or using a relay

Triumph Bonneville's have notoriously naff light and both LED and relays work well with lots of info for both.
I am trying to get Info for LED and relays for the Bird.
HID works well on the low beam
but as said I want to use only one system
so it might rule HID out (though that's a very cheap system you gave me a link for and might be worth a bash.)
I guess I am just not really sold on HID (yet)
DaveCh42
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby MaXX2 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:52 am

Dave... HID's only have one fault on the main beam and that's when 'flashing'. The bulb operates from a ballast which gradually builds up power from the switch into the bulb and it lights like a kitchen fluorescent but a bit quicker.

Thing is, the LED's seem to operate from a ballast as well and having not used them, I don't know if they're any quicker to fire and build up the lumens than HID is. Perhaps you could let us know if you end up heading down that route??

Other than that the performance looks similar by reference to power drawn and lumens delivered, so pay your money and take your chances.... :mrgreen:
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby DaveCh42 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:53 pm

Thanks Maxx
Anything I do I will report on rest assured
DaveCh42
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby Cyclops » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:52 pm

DaveCh42 wrote:I am thinking about using LED for my headlight provision. and was wondering if anyone else had experience of them.

Just fitted 2 LEDs in both dip and main beam. Both are 4000 lumens so brighter than HID. Result is Dip beam is excellent nice even spread instead of a dim thin line across the road. Main beam now lights up the planet and makes night riding a pleasure. Start up time is 0.01 of a second so instant on, headlight flash instant.
These are 40 watt 40000 Lumens H7 units and were the brightest I could find. Build quality on the units is very good and they use Cree LEDs 4 per unit giving a 360 degree spread. Compared it to Tims HID unit tonight and I think he was impressed especially with the main beam.

HTH

Ian
BANNED

Half blind and brain dead.
Cyclops
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:02 am

Cyclops wrote:
DaveCh42 wrote:I am thinking about using LED for my headlight provision. and was wondering if anyone else had experience of them.

Just fitted 2 LEDs in both dip and main beam. Both are 4000 lumens so brighter than HID. Result is Dip beam is excellent nice even spread instead of a dim thin line across the road. Main beam now lights up the planet and makes night riding a pleasure. Start up time is 0.01 of a second so instant on, headlight flash instant.
These are 40 watt 40000 Lumens H7 units and were the brightest I could find. Build quality on the units is very good and they use Cree LEDs 4 per unit giving a 360 degree spread. Compared it to Tims HID unit tonight and I think he was impressed especially with the main beam.

HTH

Ian

First impression tonight was "Wow!" Main beam instant and brighter than a bright thing. Would love to see it out on the unlit roads. Very impressed. Now that Cyclops is au fait with the fitting of these lights it should be a piece of piss when he has to fit mine. :thumbsup)

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby DaveCh42 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:50 pm

Have you got a link Cyclops
DaveCh42
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby Cyclops » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:28 pm

DaveCh42 wrote:Have you got a link Cyclops

Here we are young sir

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262020476135? ... EBIDX%3AIT

They are seriously bright but are a bit of a bugger to fit as Mr Hondas idea of H7 fitting is not the same as the rest of the automotive world, due to the spacer/adaptor the Bird has as standard. :banghead) :banghead)

It requires a bit of modding of the headlight to get them to fit right, fortunately it is reversible, unless you screw it up. :D
BANNED

Cyclops
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby Oldbull » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:28 am

Ive been giving these a bit of thought as well for the main beam only.... after seeing Ians light up the planet :D I was wondering if he got any gestures,rude signs etc etc from the cage drivers for dazzling them... They are brighter than the HID and although it shouldnt be a problem with the daytime running, the night time SUN mite be a different lumen :P They are seriously fookin bright and if you look into them your blinded :P

What Im trying to say is are these taking things over the top a lttle :mrgreen:
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:51 am

Oldbull wrote:Ive been giving these a bit of thought as well for the main beam only.... after seeing Ians light up the planet :D I was wondering if he got any gestures,rude signs etc etc from the cage drivers for dazzling them... They are brighter than the HID and although it shouldnt be a problem with the daytime running, the night time SUN mite be a different lumen :P They are seriously fookin bright and if you look into them your blinded :P

What Im trying to say is are these taking things over the top a lttle :mrgreen:

Ya whittle too much me owd froot. Any decent, considerate, courteous rider will dip his beam at the first sign of oncoming traffic. Likewise you aint gonna ride behind someone with ya main beam on now are you. The main beam LED only blinded us when we put our eyeline down at headlight level. Storm in a teacup if you ask me. :rolleyes:
:smile:

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Mister Majestik » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:25 pm

Dave,

you can buy less intense ones, seen lots on ebay 2400lm

they dont have to be 4000lm as cyclops bought
Mister Majestik
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Oldbull » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:19 pm

T.Murphy wrote:
Ya whittle too much me owd froot. Any decent, considerate, courteous rider will dip his beam at the first sign of oncoming traffic. Likewise you aint gonna ride behind someone with ya main beam on now are you. The main beam LED only blinded us when we put our eyeline down at headlight level. Storm in a teacup if you ask me. :rolleyes:

I dont have a prob with just high beam Tim, as its hardly on long anyway,,, but Ian cant dip his dip now can he :smile: was wondering if anyone gave him the dazzle finger the other night... I get the odd one with the HID and its set to spec...

I will be putting one in each main beam of my bikes .. not totally convinced on which one to go with yet tho ...

TDM piece of pish to get at and plenty of room for the fan bit,,, dont fancy pulling the bird to bits to fit a bulb tho :P
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby DaveCh42 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:21 pm

ramo wrote:Dave,

you can buy less intense ones, seen lots on ebay 2400lm

they dont have to be 4000lm as cyclops bought

The lumens are not as important as the kelvin (colour temperature) In my research it seems to be a common theme that over 5000K (kelvin) the light though brighter and whiter begins to scatter and no longer provides a projected beam which is not good for riding as the beam becomes too defuse to be helpful (that's the theory anyway.)
DaveCh42
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby Oldbull » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:46 pm

Dont worry about that theory Dave because when Ian fires them two baby's up you can see every fookin thing and I mean every .. no matter what diffused scatter you get :mrgreen:
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Cyclops » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:35 am

Oldbull wrote:
T.Murphy wrote:

I dont have a prob with just high beam Tim, as its hardly on long anyway,,, but Ian cant dip his dip now can he :smile: was wondering if anyone gave him the dazzle finger the other night... I get the odd one with the HID and its set to spec...

I will be putting one in each main beam of my bikes .. not totally convinced on which one to go with yet tho ...

TDM piece of pish to get at and plenty of room for the fan bit,,, dont fancy pulling the bird to bits to fit a bulb tho :P

To allay your fears Dave I rode home on Saturday night and received not one finger or flash to indicate the I was dazzling anyone. Even riding behind a car on an unlit road they never even dipped their rear view mirror. I did spend a bit of time setting the dip beam up though, being the considerate person that I am. 8)
BANNED

Cyclops
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby Mister Majestik » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:50 am

DaveCh42 wrote:
ramo wrote:
The lumens are not as important as the kelvin (colour temperature) In my research it seems to be a common theme that over 5000K (kelvin) the light though brighter and whiter begins to scatter and no longer provides a projected beam which is not good for riding as the beam becomes too defuse to be helpful (that's the theory anyway.)

Dave what's the difference then between these 2 LED's both 6000k, one 2400lm and the other 4000lm?

other than the fact that the 4000lm uses twice the power,

so if they are the same, the 2400 would be the one to go for, as its more efficient?

2400lm - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-H7-Cree-L ... 3a9bf91326

4000lm - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262020476135? ... EBIDX%3AIT

cheers steve
Mister Majestik
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Cyclops » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:22 pm

ramo wrote:
DaveCh42 wrote:
ramo wrote:

Dave what's the difference then between these 2 LED's both 6000k, one 2400lm and the other 4000lm?

other than the fact that the 4000lm uses twice the power,

so if they are the same, the 2400 would be the one to go for, as its more efficient?

2400lm - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-H7-Cree-L ... 3a9bf91326

4000lm - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262020476135? ... EBIDX%3AIT

cheers steve

Steve the lumens is how bright the units are, so 2400lm is not as bright as 4000lm. Unfortunately due to losses the 4000lm one are not twice as bright as the 2400 20Watt ones. To put it into prospective a normal 55 Watt lamp is approx 1150lms
BANNED

Cyclops
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby Mister Majestik » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:41 pm

Yep
Ian thats what I thought
Mister Majestik
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby DaveCh42 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:56 pm

Reet then over 500kelvin you just don't get the same quality of light out put. High kelvin (I believe over 6000) things like road signs also begin to change colour where red shows up as brown etc. here are some really good articles about kelvin. Although the articles are about HID lights I would imagine that LED would suffer the same problems at high kelvins

http://www.carlightblog.com/2013/12/20/ ... ood-light/

First post here is interesting too
http://www.automotiveforums.com/t177538 ... utput.html

another good one here

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/knowit ... ulbs.html/
DaveCh42
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby Cyclops » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:35 pm

Which is why I chose the 6000 kelvin units, which are pure white after that the light gets bluer causing light scatter and becomes less effective. As is clearly demonstrated by young chaps in their 900cc fart boxes cars with big bore exhursts.

Just get the fookers fitted :thumbsup)
BANNED

Cyclops
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Next

Return to The Out Patients