Reply from "Norosion"

Problem with the Blackbird ?
Then check into the out patients for advice and diagnostics from our very ownteam of Super-Blackbird technical guru's & members alike!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Reply from "Norosion"

Postby Sircular » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:27 am

Hi peeps, I`ve eventually received a reply from the guys @ Norosion, I enquired about using the "Evans waterless coolant" in our Bikes. Here`s a copy of the email I sent them on the 1st May ! ;- Hi guys, myself & some fellow forum members would like to know your opinion on using the "Evans waterless coolant" in our "Honda CBR1100xx super blackbirds" or, for that matter, any other large capacity motorcycle engine, (750cc or above, with liquid cooling systems, including oil cooling as well). We`ve been discussing the pro`s & con`s of a wide range of coolants available, here in the UK. A few of us `bird owners are using OAT premixed.( which is recommended for aluminium m/c engines) Some members are drawn towards the Evans stuff, but I`m led to believe, they`ve not yet used it. So, your opinion on using the Evans stuff in our `bikes, would be greatly appreciated. Also, is "Norosion" available here in the UK ?. Also I read on your FAQ that "Norosion" has no anti-freezing properties. This could present problems for us "all weather riders" here in the UK, So, could you recommend an additive (And what mix ratio to use) to prevent freezing ? Any reply is gratefully received. Thanks, Kind regards, Len Warren. Here`s the reply :- Hi Len, We strongly advise against using Evans in your motorcycles, for reasons outlined here ;- http://www.norosion.com/evanstest.htm. You can purchase No-Rosion in europe here :- https://www.limora.com/en/cooling-syste ... 83885.html If you need freeze protection, recommend reverting to 50/50 mix during the winter months, then going with straight water plus No-Rosion during the warm summer months. There you go peeps, took a while for them to reply !. Me, I`m sticking to the OAT premixed from Halfrauds. I recently renewed my coolant,( OAT Premixed ) & all`s well with my B/Bird. Stay shiny side up, Regards, Sircular.
Sircular
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: Reply from "Norosion"

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:33 am

Hi Len. For the life of me I have forgotten why the coolant question was even asked in the first place :cool:

So, its, 'as you were', surprise surprise. :rockon)

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Sircular » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:41 am

howdy Murph, It all started with a wind up / pith take, from Mr. Dark Angel, & Mr Majestic, About overheating whilst stopped @ lights. It was myself who, having just previously, changed my coolant to the OAT premixed,( & getting good results with it. ) thought I`d crash the party, ( Sorry ) by bringing up the coolant thread. It kinda snowballed after that, & the "Evans waterless coolant" was mentioned. As I said before, I`d recently changed my own coolant, after looking at various types available, including the Evans stuff. (There`s even a "you tube" video, where Mr. Jay Leno endorses the Evans stuff !) I decided the OAT premixed was the easiest one for me to use/ change, & to steer clear of the Evans stuff. ( After finding that link to the Norosion test for the Evans coolant !) Also, that`s when I decided to e-mail the "Norosion" guys, to enquire about the "Evans waterless coolant", for use in our bikes. The reply from the "Norosion" guys confirmed my fears. That`s about it for now, Regards, Sircular.
Sircular
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby dufus » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:33 pm

So you email no roision and asked them about a competitors product and they said don't use theirs, use ours? Imagine that.
dufus
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby Sircular » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:57 am

Hi Mr Dufus, You might like to look at the original post :- "Bird running hot" on "The whippit inn. (Sorry for repeating this) but `ave a butchers @ this link :- http://www.norosion.com/evanstest.htm , it confirms the "Evans waterless coolant" is not good for motorcycles. The main reasons being 1). It`s too viscous for OEM waterpumps, which means less flow through the rad` & cooling system.( And it will knacker your pump !) 2). Your engine will therefore, run a lot hotter, meaning, the fan will be on constantly ,unless you change the settings on your B/Birds ECU, Or, get another ECU, with the correct settings, so that your fan kicks in /out at the temperatures recommended by "Evans", which are a lot hotter than normal ! 3) Unless you can remove 97 percent of your old coolant, the Evans stuff becomes corrosive ! (unless you use the Evans conversion fluid). 4) It`s corrosive to aluminium radiators !! To name but a few. That seems like a lot of hassle / costs to me !
And, as I said in that earlier post, the "Norosion" guys may be biased towards their own product, but, after them doing extensive tests on the Evans coolant, that link makes interesting reading, and, is what made me steer clear of the Evans stuff, and to go for the Halfrauds OAT Premixed. Simply because, it`s recommended for aluminium motorcycle engines, doesn`t freeze,(which is why I avoided the "Norosion" stuff as well) &, it was easy to get hold of, and so easy to change :- Drain old coolant, flush with hose, dry with compressed air, fill up with OAT premixed. Job done ! (I also had my rad` off & re- furbished it at the same time). If you wish to go for the "Evans waterless coolant", please don`t let my opinion stop you. Let me know how you get on with it.(If you do decide to use it), Kind regards, Sircular.
Sircular
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby dufus » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:12 am

To be honest, I know my birds well enough having had several to know what their temps should be and only one failed and that needed a new rad. Beyond that, never had an issue with a bird on temperature issues no matter what time of year it's ridden. Still, if you have found something that works for you then fair play
dufus
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Return to The Out Patients