oil pressure filler cap gone awol

Problem with the Blackbird ?
Then check into the out patients for advice and diagnostics from our very ownteam of Super-Blackbird technical guru's & members alike!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

oil pressure filler cap gone awol

Postby tonywright999 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:47 am

Hi Guys, I am sure someone here can advise me on a little problem I have with my Blackbird.

After arriving at work after an uneventful ride this morning I noticed oil all over my right boot. When I checked the 'bird, the oil filler cap was missing. How and when it came off I don't know however I didn't get any oil pressure warning lightl.

Now being stuck at work, 35 miles from home, I am wondering how tight a seal I need to keep the oil in if I ride it home? If that is even feasable without a screw in plug?

I am still wondering why the oil pressure light didn't come on, it comes on when I first turn on the ignition so the bulb hasn't blown.

Thanks for any advice

Tony
tonywright999
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Re: oil pressure filler cap gone awol

Postby Sircular » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:45 am

Hi Tony, you could try fabricating a temporary filler plug, depending on what you have available at work. i.e a finger from a latex glove, filled with bluetack, forced/ screwed into the hole, and some duct tape, to stop it coming out.
Then keep the revs as low as possible, on the ride home.
If you're sure the original filler plug was tightened properly, excessive sump pressure could have popped it out. Which means broken piston rings.= Major problems.
So unless you're a decent mechanic, and fancy a top end stripdown / rebuild, I've seen b/bird engines for sale from breakers on fleabay. Which may be the easier option, depending on your budget. Sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick, & am talking rubbish. Just my thoughts on the subject. Kind regards, Circular.
Sircular
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby Oldbull » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:33 pm

Didnt think the sump was pressurized ..oil filler cap only keeps the oil in :-?

scrap yard or David Silvers if your fussy
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:58 pm

Oldbull wrote:Didnt think the sump was pressurized ..oil filler cap only keeps the oil in :-?

:clap:

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:59 pm

T.Murphy wrote:
Oldbull wrote:Didnt think the sump was pressurized ..oil filler cap only keeps the oil in :-?

:clap:

(I fekkin hate Photofucket)

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Sircular » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:31 pm

Hi peeps, I'm saying the sump would become pressurized if some piston rings are broken. Therefore creating enough pressure to force the filler cap out. Regards, Sircular.
Sircular
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby dufus » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:29 pm

On the bird as oldbull said, the cap is little more than a bottle top. The oil warning light would not come on as the oil is still there, any oil on your foot is more likely to be by movement of the bike spitting it out through bumps and such than a pressurised spewing.

As to riding it, given the short distance home, anything will do as long as it stops it being bumped out, clingfilm with some rags etc to pad it out but given your post was on monday and today is saturday, I suspect you got home okay

As to why it was missing and given it takes a few turns I'm going to guess (1) someone stole it (2) it wasn't screwed in properly or (3) when you got home, you saw it on the side after leaving it there after topping up the oil?
dufus
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby Sircular » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:05 am

Hi tonywright999, We`re all waiting with baited breath, to find out what the score is regarding your oil filler plug. Please post an update !! Thanks, kind regards, Sircular. lol
Sircular
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Return to The Out Patients