Exhaust header studs

Problem with the Blackbird ?
Then check into the out patients for advice and diagnostics from our very ownteam of Super-Blackbird technical guru's & members alike!

Moderators: MaXX2, jack, wobbs, Jayne

Exhaust header studs

Postby Sircular » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:19 am

Hi Peeps, I`ve recently replaced my header/ downpipes on my `97 Bird.When bolting the new downpipes to the cylinder head, I found a couple of the threads were knackered, also, there`s a slight difference in the actual thread size ( only on the exhaust part) between some of the studs !. The worn one`s nuts come loose slightly, therefore causing the exhaust to leak/blow at the gasket joint with the cylinder block. :banghead) :pullhair Does anyone know where I might get a set of eight exhaust studs & nuts from please? so I may replace & make good. Thanks, kind regards, Len W.
Sircular
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: Exhaust header studs

Postby Mister Majestik » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:01 pm

Mister Majestik
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:16 pm

Hi Len. I think I got mine from Wemoto. Someone will probably correct me but as far as I can remember you do NOT want to use stainless studs. The Wemoto ones are advertised as stainless but Im sure on phoning them they said they werent.

Anyrode, shop around. You'll need new copper gaskets too and if you go down the David Silver route the 8 studs, nuts and copper gaskets will set you back 60 quid before they add on bloody postage.

Copper gaskets cheap as chips on ebay.

Let us know how you get on Len. Good luck...and be careful trying to get the old stud(s) out. Careful and patient OK. hiya

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Sircular » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:06 am

Many thanks for those two links, Mr majestik, the titanium ones are looking good, @ £52.00 all in. I found some ordinary ones, from "Fowlers" Bristol, @ £48.00 all in. Only four squid more for titanium, brill' ! Also, I found Silvers were the most expensive, for ordinary ones ! (couldn't see any @ "Jaws" tho ?) Hi there Murph, pray tell, why you shouldn't use stainless exhaust studs ? Regards, Len.
Last edited by Sircular on Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sircular
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby Sircular » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:23 am

Just an after thought.....:- I don't suppose anybody knows the torque setting, for when I get those pesky exhaust studs ? ( Coz' I don't wanna be damaging the threads in me cylinder block ! Me being a ham fisted spanner monkey, an' all. (ha ha) .Cheers peeps.
Sircular
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:29 am

Sircular wrote:Just an after thought.....:- I don't suppose anybody knows the torque setting, for when I get those pesky exhaust studs ? ( Coz' I don't wanna be damaging the threads in me cylinder block ! Me being a ham fisted spanner monkey, an' all. (ha ha) .Cheers peeps.

Torque setting is very low....off top of my head 12nM ..I'll confirm in a bit. Avoiding stainless if I remember was due to thread pick up in the alloy female head threads. Also, if you snap one off try drilling that out. !

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Sircular » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:21 am

Hi guys, those titanium studs/nuts are now @ £44.00 !
Also I've been informed by "Jaws", the torque for them is 20nm.
Sircular
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Return to The Out Patients