Monza Trip Part 4

IXXRA Members Personal travelogues from around the world including photographs, tips and experiences.

Moderator: MaXX2

Monza Trip Part 4

Postby Marathon Man » Fri May 18, 2007 5:10 pm

Day 7

Started wet, then got sunny again. A decent day’s mileage today, from Grenoble to Orleans. Managed 300 miles before lunch, the last 100 kilometres in a little over half an hour... To a B&B on the outskirts – cheap, basic, but ideal for a bike touring stopover.

Orleans is a nice enough place. On the Loire, Joan of Arc set up shop here many years ago;

We ate at a Buffalo Grill this evening. I’d always thought they were a Little Chef of France but they’re pretty damn good. Had a burger done almost like a steak tartar, and bloody nice it was too.

Day 8

Hammered it down with rain in the night but we were blessed with dry roads up to Le Havre. Lost Daz again when I had a race with a French Golf, but he finally arrived in Le Havre an hour and a half after I’d got there.

Le Havre is bizarre. Very 1970s, but well done considering the lack of money available at the time.

And so onto the ferry home;

And it pissed it down all the way from Portsmouth until the Dorset border when it gave way to light drizzle.

Until next year...
Marathon Man
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Tim » Fri May 18, 2007 5:41 pm

:clap: :clap: ...nice write up MM....nice pics..... :clap: :clap:
Tim
Site Admin

Postby guest » Fri May 18, 2007 5:58 pm

Still looks like ya enjoyed yer sen mate a big pat on the back, :clap: :clap: :clap: , some great journalism, photo's too.
Its not the falling off that hurts it's the stopping

Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby malatay » Fri May 18, 2007 7:55 pm

Nice write up and pics MM :clap: :clap: :clap:
Must do something like that soon :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
malatay
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby Hugh Janus » Fri May 18, 2007 9:56 pm

Yep definately jealous, n1 MM :clap: :clap: :clap:
I have taken to wearing High Heels these days...although the Greenkeeper goes fookin barmy with me
Hugh Janus
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby aj » Fri May 18, 2007 11:20 pm

an adventure to recount te yer grandchildren parafin pan :P

pity the weather was sheet during the best parts :(
and i have a sense that iffin ya go again... it may be with a different companion :roll) ( ill come wi ya next time eh) :oops)

and whats with watchin racing through a mesh fence :-? .. or is that same everywhere these days... :-?
i dunow :roll) as i haven’t experienced it here :-)

good write up and pics.. were you in any ???.. ahh.. no :bigcry: ...puffy pink was though :banghead)

:mrgreen:

regards :wink)
aj

remember... i know nuffin about everything so don't believe a word i say
aj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby guest » Sat May 19, 2007 7:58 am

Least his has made it outa the country Andy, :wink)

Your's cant make it outa the garage, lol

Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Tim » Sat May 19, 2007 8:12 am

guest wrote:Least his has made it outa the country Andy, :wink)

Your's cant make it outa the garage, lol

:clap: :clap: lol lol lol lol @ Granny Fees husband....

O.K., O.K. ...only a joke guest....honest..! :wink)
Tim
Site Admin

Postby jack » Sat May 19, 2007 8:55 am

Great write up MM, despite the rain it looks like you had a good time and an experience to treasure :thumbsup)

Didn't you do the bridge at Le Havre? or have you already done it?
The Older I get the Better I Was
jack
Site Admin

Postby Marathon Man » Sat May 19, 2007 8:55 am

As a footnote and reply to some of the feedback, I'd definitely recommend going to a WSBK or MotoGP race abroad (Monza, Valencia, Catalunya, Le Mans and Assen are amongst the highly rated locations). As far as the chain link fencing is concerned, the closeness of the track to the crowds at high speed parts of Monza necessitates some form of safety net to stop flying debris (though I doubt it would stop an F1 car at 200mph). Unlike some of the tracks in Blighty (Brands, Cadwell, Thruxton) where there is generally only a bit of Armco to separate rider from spectator. In any case, the chain link fencing was easy enough to climb over come track-invasion-time!

And I'd definitely recommend going down to the Alps for some riding (but try mid-June onward when the weather is likely to be less damp - which is what I'll aim to do next time!). Lovely views (don't look too long though!), lovely roads, lovely people (the Alpine inhabitants were amongst the most friendly to chat to), and fab places to eat and drink (a cappuccino overlooking Mont Blanc takes some beating).

And choose your travelling companions carefully! Bearing in mind that this was a trip that I'd planned on doing on my own anyhow, and Daz asked if he could come along. I know I'm a bit of an individual myself at times, but I wouldn't have got so pee'd off with Daz had he been close to being on time when we agreed to do something or if he could lean his bike over.

For instance, on the last two days I agreed to foresake my breakfast (which is a big thing for me as I need my coffee and croissants of a morning - Daz doesn't do petit dejeuner) so we could make early starts to get some mileage done before lunch. On each occasion, whereas I'd got the 'Bird loaded and warmed up and myself kitted up ahead of departure time, Daz ambles out of his room way past our intended departure time and then spends half an hour faffing around with his soft panniers, tank bag, making sure his Tomtom dongle is working okay, then deciding on what to play on his iPod... Last thing I wanted to do was plan each day down to the last minute, but when what plans we do make are just totally disregarded without letting me know it winds me up a tad.

And as for leaning his bike. One shouldn't criticise another's riding, but I've never seen anyone who can maintain his chicken strips on warm twisty auto-route slip roads (which have to be the easiest way of getting the bike leant over safely - I was touching hero blobs on the 'Bird and I'm no knee down merchant by any stretch of the imagination). All this meant that if I was leading, I'd gain half a mile on him as I whizzed around the slip roads and down onto the autoroute (then have to pull over and dawdle so he could catch up as at that time we agreed to keep together) or if he was leading, I'd leave a gap between me and him to allow for his bimbling nature, but even that kept getting closed up on to the point I was always running into the back of him :banghead)

And it wasn't just twisty stuff - even steady-lean bends on 'N' roads were taken upright. And the ironic thing about this upright riding behaviour, and perhaps the bit that grated me the most, is that he was the one who wanted to avoid straight roads as he was worried about squaring off his tyres :roll)

When all said and done, I'm not going to let such trivial matters spoil what was otherwise a fab adventure of 1700 miles in the eight days (of which three were sat down trackside soaking up the baking Italian sun!). I'd do a few things differently next time (for instance, I wouldn't worry about taking camping stoves to the Monza campsite when there are fab eateries and places for coffee there anyway) and I'm already looking forward to planning next year's sojurn to Europe... 8)

PS Isn't it ironic that the 'Bird breaks down big style when I had the relatively short ride to Wales in Easter, but makes it all the way down to Italy and back without so much of a hiccup (save for the Tomtom cradle going do-lally that is)... :-?

PPS Be prepared to hand over your driving licence to the lady in the paying kiosk at supermarket petrol pumps before being allowed to fill up. It happened to us in Grenbole (nowhere else mind, and we did visit a fair few petrol pumps) and it wasn't just because we were Brtis - the rule applies to all motorcyclists...
Marathon Man
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Marathon Man » Sat May 19, 2007 9:37 am

jack wrote:Great write up MM, despite the rain it looks like you had a good time and an experience to treasure :thumbsup)

Did it again this time round - Le Pont Du Normandie I think it's called. Last time I did it was with 60mph cross winds - not fun. This time was much smoother.

Should have taken a photo I guess, but it's part of an auto-route so hard to do without getting Monsieur Gendarme chaud sous le col. :wink)
Marathon Man
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby jack » Sat May 19, 2007 9:57 am

Marathon Man wrote:
jack wrote:Great write up MM, despite the rain it looks like you had a good time and an experience to treasure :thumbsup)

Did it again this time round - Le Pont Du Normandie I think it's called. Last time I did it was with 60mph cross winds - not fun. This time was much smoother.

Should have taken a photo I guess, but it's part of an auto-route so hard to do without getting Monsieur Gendarme chaud sous le col. :wink)

Bloody hell "HIGH CROSS WINDS" wasn't 4 years ago by any chance?......it happened to me in 2003, the winds were so bad they cancelled the ferry's :roll)

Wasn't a pleasure going over the bridge that day :cry)
The Older I get the Better I Was
jack
Site Admin

Postby Poacher » Mon May 21, 2007 8:22 am

jack wrote:
Marathon Man wrote:

Bloody hell "HIGH CROSS WINDS" wasn't 4 years ago by any chance?......it happened to me in 2003, the winds were so bad they cancelled the ferry's :roll)

Done this last year on trip to Normandy, great looking bridge.

AND its free for bikes!
'The Poacher'
Poacher
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Marathon Man » Mon May 21, 2007 8:29 am

jack wrote:
Marathon Man wrote:

Nah, this was last May. I hugged the side of an artic to reduce the sideways lean I was needing to do as much as possible. :P Glad to get to the other side. A 'Bird may be aerodynamic head on, but it can be a bit of a sail side on.

Poacher wrote:Done this last year on trip to Normandy, great looking bridge.

AND its free for bikes!

Gratuit. One of my favourite French words!
Marathon Man
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby guest » Mon May 21, 2007 10:19 am

Wee wee, one of my favorite words, lol

Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Return to Travelogues