Highland tour + pic's

IXXRA Members Personal travelogues from around the world including photographs, tips and experiences.

Moderator: MaXX2

Highland tour + pic's

Postby Morph » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:46 pm

I know some of you may have seen this before, but thought i would post it anyway.

Monday 4th June 07

After months of day dreaming of the roads up north, the day had finally come.
I had been keeping an eye on the weather sites over the past week and everything was looking good.
This would be my 8th or 9th Scottish Highland Tour.

Bike is all packed the night before, except for the beer & burgers, will pick them up enroute.
The first leg of the journey was to get out of the big smoke (Edinburgh) a 1hour ride up the M9 to Callander. For many bikers this is the starting point for their Highland adventures.

From Callander it’s a great run up to Tyndrum and the Green Welly stop. Time for a smoke and top up with fuel. Next a 10 min blast to the start of Glen Coe.
My campsite for the night was at the far end. Glen Coe is an awesome road, fast straights, superb bends that you can see through and is around 30 miles long.
Once at the campsite, first thing was to get the beer in the mountain stream to cool down, then tent up and fire on for the burgers

Once fed and watered !!! It is time for a stroll to the campsite bar, along a small single track road through hills and trees, it is the only building for miles around used by backpackers
http://www.clachaig.com/p/v/the-bars/
15 cask condition beers are on tap. This is gona be a long night. Started at the first tap and lost count by 5 or 6 !

Tuesday 5th June 07

Head a bit fuzzy from the night before, I awake to a new morning in the Glen. Blue Skies, birds singing and mist rolling off the hills.

A shower and bacon roll and I was off. ( later to find out had left my shower gel! )
Plan was to head for Fort William, Speanbridge, than up through the mountains and down to Kyle of Lochalsh

Another fabulous road, but I knew the best was yet to come.
A quick fill up and I’m off to Applecross. Up through the mountains and down along the side of Lochcarron. The roads are getting much quieter now, only one car every 5 mins or so, and are much more fun to ride.There are two ways into Applecross, one isn’t even shown on most maps. (The Old Pass)

It’s a single track road, 11 miles long through mountains, with passing places, reckoned to be impassable in the winter months, (I can see why!)
There are many steep hills, long straights, hair pins and long sweeping bends that you can see through 4 or 5 at a time, very smooth ride but also extremely demanding

Applecross itself is a lovely wee village right on the sea front. It has a wonderful campsite. The Applecross Inn is famous for its seafood and lively atmosphere.
http://www.applecross.uk.com/index.htm

No stopping here for me though I am heading up the coast through Kinlockewe to Gairloch where I would set up camp for the night.

Applecross to Gairloch.

What can I say? This road is 70 miles long, sorry no pics, was having way to much fun to stop and take any. The memory of this road will always stay with me, unforgettable only comes close to describing it.
I have travelled 203 miles today so a few beers in the local pub in Gailoch are called for. I have met up with a few other bikers at the campsite so join them. One chap asked me to pass on a message to his mate in Durness (135 miles away) as he had no phone and I was heading there tomorrow. I was told I would find him in the pub, quality, any excuse for a pint.

Wednesday 6th June

Next morning was very hot and blue sky as far as the eye could see. Had breakfast on the camping stove , packed up and headed off to Poolewe.
Another Awesome road! Great for the bird to stretch her legs. I swear I had her airbourne twice, fully loaded, the avon storms really show what they are made of.

Up here in the hills you don’t even think about the police, it’s the deer you have to concern yourself with. I had seen a few already, that had been hit, lying at the roadside. They looked about the size of a horse, I would not like to hit one.
Some of the local bikers told me they use a small whistle, only audible to animals, fitted to their bikes to scare them off.
Don’t know that I would entrust my life to something I cant hear, but suppose its better than nothing

Arriving at Braemore, the road on up to Ullapool is like my own personal race track. So smooth, with no overbanding, pot holes etc. And yet again bends that go on forever and ever, but sadly over far to quickly as you get very throttle happy!

Stopped in Ullapool for lunch and fuel stop. Now for the run to Durness. Another 65 miles of my own personal race track. This road has so much grip its never been touched or dug up since the day it was lain.
Just like all the roads before the scenery is fabulous.

It is so tranquil here you maybe only see one or two cars every 15/20 minutes. The bends again are so smooth with ½ mile vision ahead. Absolutely great blackbird country.

Arriving all too soon at Durness, but am very tired, time to stop for the day, riding these roads, although the most enjoyable experience, is also very demanding.
Set up camp and the view from my tent is spectacular, so I am just chilling with a few beers and a Barbie.

Later I head for the only pub in Durness in search of JEFF to pass on the message. . Sure enough he was there.
A Motoguzzi club arrived and pitched up beside me. A mixture of German and British bikers. We spent the next few hours sharing views and copius amounts of beer, before I had to finally give in and crawl off to my tent, in the wee small hours of the morning

Thursday 7th June

Once again my head is fuzzy, so I have a long lie before setting off for John ‘O’Groats. Well that was the plan but I have been there done that and the roads are not that great the further east you go so I decideto head back down my race track to Ullapool.
Since setting off from home I have been using my newly acquired Autocom. When I finally got it set up properly it was glorious. Music booming in my ears, Dire Straits, yes I know not everyone’s cup of tea, but as Mark Knofler is a biker himself, I could swear he wrote some of his stuff for the roads up here.
Am scaring myself a bit though, am pushing the bird way too hard with all this extra weight from the luggage on board. The Avon storms are great but am sure they were getting a bit squidgy with the heat and the weight the rear was carrying.
Once back in Ullapool, I get unloaded, set up camp and head back out for more fun. Took in a few of the other roads for the rest of the day before heading back down for some refreshments.

View from the beer garden in Ullapool

Friday 8th June

I had planned to go down to Inverness the long way round via Gairloch but once I got near Inverness the weather was turning iffy. After much deliberation, I decided just to head for a very fast, high speed blast home. Unfortunately just past Aviemore, I came across a camera van sitting on the A9, one of the new high tech vans with the glass dome on the side! Am not sure if I managed to slow down enough to get away with it this time, DOH ! I should know better there are always mobile units on the A9.

840 miles later home safe and sound. Once again the bird performed impeccably. With the new suspension set-up courtesy of Jaws and the new Avon storms, it just gets better and better.

No amount of pictures/words can do the North of Scotland justice when the weather is good. It seems I was in another world not just a few hundred miles away. Every day life is so far removed from the tranquillity and serenity up in the north. Hope you can get a feel of this from my trip.
Morph
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby Big Harv » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:32 am

Bloody awesome m8, been up and aound there myself a few times, sadly not on 2 wheels. That really brought it back to me Thank you.
Nerves of Steel - Will of Iron - Knob of Butter!Image Which type are you?
Big Harv
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Mortis » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:41 am

As you say, Scotland is lovely when the weather is nice. I might have to take SWMBO up there next year for a long weekend. Anyone care to join us? :mrgreen:
I'm not mad but I am
Mortis
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby Fairways18 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:11 am

Looks stunning Morph :clap:
We should be there now, but as the weather is so crap we have postponed the trip, but will definitely be going the first opportunity we get :D

:wink)
Regards
Steve
Fairways18

Always wear protection whilst riding a Blackbird
Fairways18
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby jack » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:35 am

Bloody superb Morph, looks like you had a real good time and looking at the pickies, it would be hard not to :clap: :clap:

Hope you don't mind but if you have time, could you send me the details of the route you toke, I could transfer it to a Garmin route for all to share, also I'll pop this in the Travelogue Forum.

Superb mate, bloody superb :clap: :clap:
The Older I get the Better I Was
jack
Site Admin

Postby malatay » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:07 am

Excellent write up and pics Morph. :clap: :clap: Think this has to go in my little book as a must do ride.
malatay
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby Gruf » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:29 am

Looks superb, I'm of up the A9 on Friday going to Aviemore will watch out for the camera vans.
Gruf
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Postby Tim » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:12 pm

Not bad Morph....not bad.... :mrgreen:
Tim
Site Admin

Postby Morph » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:57 pm

firstly sorry for posting it in the wrong section :oops)

glad you enjoyed it :wink)

im off up them there hills on saturday again , with tina on the back this time , i have one or two roads i still havent done .

we plan to do the route above over three nights , riding 5 to 6 hrs a day .
maybe longer if needed
here's hoping the sun comes out from where ever its been hiding the last three weeks
:banghead) :banghead) :-?
will put a route plan up as soon as i get an hour or two
not the worlds fastest typist
:roll) :mrgreen:
Morph
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Postby speedfreak » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:33 pm

mmmmmmmm'm

I need to go north i think. :clap:
There is nothing wrong with the way I ride.

Just stay 15 feet in front or 15 feet behind. You need to be 15 feet to my left or right.

Any closer and your MINE all MINE
speedfreak
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby REEFER » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:20 pm

roads look sweet :clap:
sadly they come with almost guarenteed rain constant and also scottish people :banghead)
Lifes too short to eat cheap food!
top tip..dont enter the blackwall tunnel with 3m headroom when driving 3.02 height!!!!!!
motor home build finished 15 months later!!

Image Image Image Image
REEFER
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Travelogues