American Trip with Blackbird

IXXRA Members Personal travelogues from around the world including photographs, tips and experiences.

Moderator: MaXX2

American Trip with Blackbird

Postby longtail » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:36 pm

Don't know if any of you folks are interested, but I did a 8,000 mile trip, coast to coast and back again, in the USA in 2008 on my Blackbird.

This is a link to the blog, it obviously reads latest blog first, but if you scroll to bottom you can get to the earlier blogs.

Hope you enjoy.

www.Coasttocoastandbackagain.blogspot.com

Sorry the address is so long!!

Longtail
longtail
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Re: American Trip with Blackbird

Postby Tim » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:13 pm

Glad you did it Longtail...I'd forgotten about you but now remember after going back over ya prev post.. :shock) , was it that long ago.

Just had a quick look at your blog and can't bloody put it down...and I'm at work too!!!! :banghead)

Fantasic stuff mate....can't wait to get home to sit down with a pot of tea and read it all properley...almost as good as "Lois on the Loose" :wink)

Glad you had a great adventure....haven't read about the bruises yet but they're pretty impressive.
Geoff james, eat ya heart out..... lol lol lol

:notworthy) :clap: :clap: :clap:
Tim
Site Admin

Postby aj » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:37 am

:clap: eloquent write up pongmail...sounds like you had a ball and the problems encountered are, in retrospect, all part of the adventure memories for you now :ride)

question... 10 weeks on yer own touring :-? ..would you recommend it... do it again :-?

regards :wink)
aj

remember... i know nuffin about everything so don't believe a word i say
aj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Tim » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:55 am

Longtail...if I P.M. you my number could your wifey have a chat to mine please...........please....? :mrgreen:

P.S....I have only got as far as Yellowstone, but did you shag owt? :-?

:mrgreen:
Tim
Site Admin

Postby longtail » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:15 pm

Would I do it again?

YOU BET I WOULD!!!!!!

I would go again tomorrow if I could, no, change that, I would go again today! I had a fantastic trip.

I am already looking at another trip. I want to ride from Greenland across Canada to Alaska, however this will be a one way trip so will have to look into buying a bike over there. I have got to save my pennies again, so will be looking at doing this in a couple of years time, certainly before I hit the magic 60.

I found that travelling by myself people seemed more able to approach and speak to me. At every fuel stop someone would want to talk. I'm sure that some of this was down to the bike itself (only saw 1 other blackie on the trip) and the number plate helped, but I also believe that had I been travelling by myself people would not be so keen to have a chat.

Just for your information, I am also looking seriously at criss crossing the states by train. I have found that visitors to the states can buy a 45 day, 18 segment ticket from Amtrak for about £450.00. This allows 18 seperate rail trips and when you bear in mind that Chicago to Seattle is classed as one segment you can cover a hell of a lot of ground!!

My wife gave me her full blessing to go, and for future trips!!! On the QT I think she is glad of a bit of space to herself, and Tim, I wouldn't tell you if I did!!!!! (My wife reads this site as well as she is into bikes!!!!)

Go for it. You never know, you may like it. If you leave it too late then try it and find you like, it it may be too late to repeat it!
longtail
Carbon-Look Member
Carbon-Look Member

Return to Travelogues