2009 Honda Snowy Ride

IXXRA Members Personal travelogues from around the world including photographs, tips and experiences.

Moderator: MaXX2

2009 Honda Snowy Ride

Postby The Budgie » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:42 pm

This survived the cleanout...
The Budgie
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Re: 2009 Honda Snowy Ride

Postby The Budgie » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:45 pm

The Honda Snowy Ride is a charity ride organised by the Steve Walter Foundation. Steve himself succumed to cancer, but one of his last wishes was that bike riders would provide a fund raising event in the name of cancer fund raising for kids - that it has done in spades. In total, the charity as raised over $22mil up until the completion of last years ride and thie years event was even bigger...over 3,200 bikes at Thredbo in the Snowy Mountains eclipses last years record of 2,800. Mind you the weather was more like a tropical resort at 20 degrees for the time we were there and a darn sight hotter everywhere else!

We took off on Thursday of last week to the coordinators joint for our group of 27 (like herding fookin cats!). Doug has a B&B down in the township of Toora (SE Vic) with a 'personalised' shed appropriately called 'The Dougout'

When I got there I though through all the preparations I'd done in the previous few weeks...bkaes - check...oil & liquids - check....radiator guard - check...tyres - well yes the front was changed...so how's the back one...'hmmm bit worn, but should get through'...gee that would haunt me later... :roll)

We took off Friday morning, fine morning but bloody cold to pickup the balance of the group (with the exception of two - Fridgy and Pete, but more about them later) from the usual Bairnsdale servo. The day started warming up and as we moved on to Cann River for lunch and then un up into the hills to Bombala. Hadn't been this way before, but it was a cracking ride through the hills. We finally arrived at Tathra on the SE New South Wales coast after 550kms travel. Tonight was to be a beaut as we had changed the schedule to incorporate the crab races at the pub...imagine payin $26 for a fookin little crab... duh lol lol ...little prick wasn't even good enough to cook and serve... :roll)

Bit of banter and beers

The Budgie & mates

..and AJ...you better rethink moving to Oz.. :mrgreen:

...I warned you about Pete...otherwise known as Long Schlong or Dirk Diggler...

Next mornin (Saturday) was D-Day for Brown Mountain...not named after me but fook I love it. 10 kms up through winding roads to the top...always a challenge to see who get's there first... :ride) . My mate Mick 'Jaffa' Rees on his CBR600RR got caught out last year by a guy who could ride Tiegel on his FJR1300 and overtaken on the outside.. :shock) . Threats were exchanged (nicely of course) about this years outcome and Tiegel said he's bringin the R1..this guy has three balls and they are fookin huge...I was right behind them at the front when 'Tiegs' looked across at 'Jaffa' at the bottom of the Mountain, 'Mick gave him the thumbs up and it was all over in 3 corners...Tiegel then daylight... lol I chased Mick up but whilst 'Tiegs' is quicker, Mick aint no slouch and we scooted up the hill together...Tiegs made a reference to next year bringin the Harley and if he gets Mick on a corner, will demand the pink slip.. :bigcry:

Moving on, we sccoted through Cooma to the first ticket checkpoint at Berridale where the pub was doing a roaring trade (about 25-30 degrees by now)

Arrived at Thredbo just after lunch...just a little bit of snow on top...

first thing to do is find some cold bevvies...Goldie, Craig, Leigh & Cam doing what comes naturally :D

Saturday afternon was the prize draw and speaches about what the ride was about...with a little bit of ad lib from yours truly... :mrgreen:

..then as we were walking back, a little bit of commotion and I thought..'this has to be worth a piccie...spread em Dougie...

Well...looky here :D :D :D :D :D

...fair dinkum... :shock)

...back to the drinking with a concert tonight, we had to watch the sunset at Thredbo

...then onto the main event...

...next day was rest day...'Jaffa', Pete and Shona (we had 5 women on the ride)

and some decided to go for a spin...note the decal on the back of Leigh's giving Goldie shome shit!!!

...on the way we had the phantom tyre writer at work...here's some examples

mine

Fridgy

Craig

Nick

...second last day with a stop at Adaminiby for fuel...Al the Kwaka ZX12R dude

...stop at the corner turnoff to Khankoban waiting to pickup slower riders...

...the South West corner of the Snowies from Kiandra to Khankoban...fookin awesome riding... :ride)

..after this we took off for lunch at the small township of Tallangatta for lunch and after some serious hammering..the back tyre got a hole (it was flogged and fooked :rockon) ). Cuppla hours waiting in 30+ degrees heat and fending a herd of cattle from stampeding over our bikes, we got it plugged and I took a detour with a mate to Albury some 90kms away at a tootling pace to get a new rear... :roll) . So got to Bright at about 6.00pm, exhausted and hot...cuppla beers and got my mojo back... :D

...and I thought you might like this one I took on last day on way home with the Cathedral mountains as a backdrop

Tired and sore got home after about about 2,000+kms with temperatures usually in mid 30's - it was an awesome ride, but I might put the back tyre on the checklist before next years ride...bike wobbles at 160 kph on a bend aint much fun...but I wouldn't do that... :mrgreen:
The Budgie
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby MaXX2 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:11 pm

Loved it Richard, but REALLY pssd mesel at that tyre art lol lol lol
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby aj » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:45 am

still can't see any mountains or friggin snow ffs :banghead) ...bit of a sham if yer ask me :roll)

returds
lol aj

remember... i know nuffin about everything so don't believe a word i say
aj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby The Budgie » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:52 am

aj wrote:.

still can't see any mountains or friggin snow ffs :banghead) ...bit of a sham if yer ask me :roll)

returds
lol aj

...show us a (clear) pic of your tyre... :mrgreen:
The Budgie
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby aj » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:43 pm

The Budgie wrote:

returds
lol aj

at the moment it's covered in sheeet and snow from our last mountain ride rofl rofl

regards
lol aj

remember... i know nuffin about everything so don't believe a word i say
aj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby MaXX2 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:46 pm

aj wrote:
The Budgie wrote:

returds
lol aj

at the moment it's covered in sheeet and snow from our last mountain ride rofl rofl

regards
lol aj

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :notworthy) :notworthy) lol lol lol Andy this your FUNNY, UNDERSTANDABLE POST of 2009 :mrgreen: Treasure it as much as I am :notworthy) :notworthy) :notworthy) :mrgreen: Where's Tim's nuts when they're needed :D
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Return to Travelogues