The Budgie comes to Dublin.

IXXRA Members Personal travelogues from around the world including photographs, tips and experiences.

Moderator: MaXX2

The Budgie comes to Dublin.

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:21 pm

Well, actually it was August the 16th or thereabouts but I have only just got off my arse to write this "Travelogue" or whatever it is.

Hmm, don't know if this should be in the "Events" Section even, or the complete bollix, err Whippit Inn Section as it was hardly a rideout for The Budgie or his girlfriend Graham. :-?

Anyrode, as some of you may or may not know, our favourite Oztrailian Member has been visiting Europe at the recently/the other week, with one of his gay friends, Graham. :wink)

His first port of call was Dublin where they were having a few days R&R before heading to Northern France for the serious stuff. Some of us had tentatively "promised" to go over to see the old coont in Dublin as it'd be a pity to miss the opportunity of verbally abusing him face to face after travelling from the other side of the world.

In the end, due to circumstances beyond peeps control and life in general it transpired that I was the only Member to be available to go visit them.

This too was a "difficult" exercise for me, due to another Dublin visit at the same time........of my missus, her female friend, my daughter and her mate :shock) .

They had booked a "girls" long weekend ages ago, which just happened to drop on the Budgie visit :banghead) .

I kept this a "secret" from arr lass, she, thinking I was possibly fookin off to South Wales for a break that weekend...AFTER I'd taken them to Manchester Airport. Oh the fekkin holes we dig!

So, Friday arrives and I drop my wifes party off at the Airport, the intention being to nail it back home, get on the GS , which was ready, packed and waiting and then nail it back to Holyhead for the Ferry to Dublin, getting me there early evening, just right for a session with the Oz "gels" :wink)

The phrase "turned to shit in my hands" comes to mind now. On the way back from the airport and with time
of the essence, I got stuck behind a string of painfully slow moving traffic from the top of the Snake down to Sheffield, :banghead) . I was then overtaken by a coont in a Nova...on double white lines. I gave him the flash and wanker sign which he reciprocated. This went on another 3 times, him overtaking at the most dangerous of times. Anyone coming the other way would have been wiped out. I, knowing the road very well, managed several safe overtakes and finally took the scrote alongside Ladybower Reservoir, whilst exchanging wanker/knobhead signs.

Got to the traffic lights at Ladybower and on RED. He pulled alongside to turn right and looked at me shrugging his shoulders.There then followed an altercation wherby to cut a long story short, he ran me over, knocking me up and over his bonnet onto the road. He ended up with a very leaky mouthful of red teeth. This all took time to sort and resulted in me missing the afternoon ferry from Holyhead by "miles".

Had to wait a couple of hours for the evening ferry which also happened to be fully fekkin booked and pray for a cancellation. Got one and so I was on my way at 7.30 Friday evening which meant I would miss the evening pissup but hey ho.

To make matters worse the ferry crossing was one of the worst I've been on. Felt shite all the way across.

I finally got to Dublin at 12.30 and into the holtel at 1.30

Phew, what was a stressful day.

So, down for breakfast at 8 and who's already there but a little feathered fook from Oz, yep The Budgie. :clap:

Nice to see him again, and his mate Graham, a little later.

So, it was a bus into Dublin where we took in the sights on a lovely sunny morning,

before hiding in dark welcoming pubs for the rest of the day.

I had a plan to surprise my missus but that too turned to shite when I realised that I didn't have a signal for my mobile.

Spookily enough though, as we walked around a corner, I spotted my missus and her group amongst all the other tourists, heading to the entrance to Trinity College Library.

With the Budgie primed, we scuttled across and mingled through the crowd until we got close to them.

In his best Austrailian voice and not 2 feet away, he started talking loud and mentioning my name. The penny never dropped and you could tell that all they wanted to do was get away from this annoying little Oz coont.

When he look at my missus and asked if she knew T.Murphy, she finally recognised

his voice and it sunk in. I then put in an appearance, where I got a thump in the ribs for my trouble !

Leaving them to join the queue for a look at the Book of Kells, we moved on to more cerebral stuff......like visiting Madigans where the Guinness is 5 fekkin Euros a pint :shock) ....but still well worth it.

Fookin gorgeous is the Black Stuff in Dublin. :thumbsup)

The rest of the day was spent quietly drinking and talking bollox whilst wandering around Dublins fare city, interspersed by a mid afternoon break where we retired back to the hotel for a rest from drinking. There, we partook of several pork pies and Black Dag I had taken with me, from the Pork Pie Mecca that is Turners, the Butchers at Jump near Barnsley and all liberally washed down with coca cola and a bottle of Southern Comfort !! A quick power nap before it was back into town for more of the same.

What a fantastic place is Dublin. The pubs are bouncing with live music and not one sign of trouble. Everybody was just buzzing and having a good time. What craic :notworthy)

All good things come to pass though and it was finally time to make our way back to the hotel and bed. Even Graham, who I think Sir Les Patterson modelled himself on, had resorted to soft drinks with a cocktail umbrella please.

Those two had an early flight and were leaving the hotel for 8.00 a.m.

So, it was up bright and early to say our goodbyes after a too short a meet up.

.... and when they buggered off I was left on my own , Billy No-Mates, but with a good route into the Wicklows in my Garmin , kindly donated by a GS Dublinner .

With my ferry not leaving until 4.30 I had most of a lovely sunny dry day to take in the Wicklow Mountains.

By 8.30 I was away on the GS , south out of Dublin and up into the hills.

Bloody lovely place, scenery as expected and empty roads as far as the eye can see. I managed a gentle 100 mile route with many stops for pics.

Can't remember the places now but it's somewhere I must go again as I only scratched the surface.

Here's just a few.

I rolled into Dublin Port with an hour to spare. A great end to an eventful weekend...err, or was it?

I arrived in Holyhead at 7.00 Sunday evening and not really fancying a blatt along the coast onto the M56 at that time of night and without enjoying North Wales, I rode down to Caernarvon and then up to Llanberis arriving at a small campsite in Llanberis Pass for 8.15.

After chucking my tent up ( I took my camping gear just in case I had decided to stay another night in Ireland, mebbe in the Wicklows) I jumped on the bike and finished the evening off with a curry down in Llanberis.

After a deep sleep I was up and ready to go for 07.00. What a fantastic sunrise this morning.

Rode down to Llanberis, set my bike camera up using a new mount I hadn't tried on the Beemer before, then rode the pass without any interference from any traffic whatsoever. Got loads of footage all the way across North Wales

where I stopped at the Ponderosa for a full Welsh Breakfast. ( It's very

similar to a Full English except the woman who serves you says "there's luvvly see")

Got chatting to a bird outside. Lovely smiling lass, full of the joys of spring. She was riding an 883 Hardly MovingSon and her partner a Honda Similar thing!

The Hardly was I must admit, immaculate with not too much bling. Transpired that she'd treated herself to her first Hardly on her fortieth, but then got this "better" one when she'd got clearance from her breast cancer. "Good on ya" I inadequately said. She thanked me but then said she was a bit pissed off cos she'd got

two large shadows on her liver and that "wasn't good" "Still," she smiled.... "it's a cracking day for a ride, let's fekkin enjoy it....take care" ..and off they "potato potato'd" towards Snowdonia.

What a lass! Very humbling meeting someone like that. Also very spooky in a spooky sorta way. I mean, I travel to Ireland to meet a coont from the other side of the world and who has suffered a serious illness without , as far as I'm aware, losing his joie de vivre..and then the "last" person I meet on my trip is this lass, with a similar outlook. Mind you, she was a lot better looking than the Budgie though.

Respect to you all !!

( Fekkin costly 10 pints of Guinness though..Worked it out and it came to about £35 a pint all in !!!!!)

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Re: The Budgie comes to Dublin.

Postby Tazcbr1100xx » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:08 pm

:thumbsup)
Sorted!
Tazcbr1100xx
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby Oldbull » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:32 pm

Crackin write up pal, really enjoyed that read .. especially the bit about cloutin a scrote in a Nova :twisted) :mrgreen:

never been to the Emerald isle kinda took a fancy to it now tho... glad you enjoyed it mate :thumbsup)
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Tazcbr1100xx » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:05 am

I spent a couple of months over in Dublin when I was training the national telco - really enjoyed it too and my apartment was excellent :thumbsup)

Me n Rosie went over there last year too but we took the car as I was on Business. Chatting to one of the guys on the course, and he told me that his brother loves bringing his bike over to Ireland cuz he thrashes fcuk out of it whenever he can, knowing the worst he will get is a fine, but no points / ban :notworthy)
Sorted!
Tazcbr1100xx
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Postby iainm9438 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:19 pm

nice one Tim :thumbsup)

my sister in law is from Dublin and they got married there so i have spent quite a bit of time there.
the wicklow mountains are great! i've been taken all round there (in a car :( ) but always wanted to do it on a bike. :)
pity you didn't get more time there to visit some of the other sights like......the Guinness factory or.......st James Gate or......Arthur Guinness's' place....or.......... (you get the jist?)
fair-play....Rich's looking healthy after all he's been through.
glad you all had a good time. i may get to come on the next one in what?.....2 years time? :-?
Was a 1 of kind xx........RIP Zebra
iainm9438
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby The Budgie » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:00 pm

Well if'n yer gunna be late, yer may as well be accurate....

....it was the 17th...cracking write up too... :thumbsup) . Early plans are a return to the UK in 2013, probly TT time and a cuppla weeks roamin around the country...

...maybe around the Lakes and Snake Pass... 8)
The Budgie
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby MaXX2 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:26 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup) Made me smile :mrgreen:
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Return to Travelogues