Eurotour 2012

IXXRA Members Personal travelogues from around the world including photographs, tips and experiences.

Moderator: MaXX2

Eurotour 2012

Postby Kempy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:46 pm

Finally I have had time to sort out my photos from the summer and thought I would share them with the forum.

Myself and a couple of mates took the Newcastle-Amsterdam ferry in August to make it to the Dolomites to try out some Alpine roads. I've done a lot of climbing in the area before but always in an Vauxhall hire car! We started with a pretty massive ride from the ferry to Munich in a one go! Especially as the first 30 miles took 2 hours due to a closed motorway. I seemed to cope with the distance better than my BMW riding chums which surprised me as the longest ride I had had this summer was about 40 miles!. Anyway, 10 hours later we got our hands on one or two of these!

The next day, after a slightly slow start we set of for the Grossglockner Pass in Austria. You have to pay to use the road but it was well worth it. We also managed to get a glimpse of the new Range Rover being tested. The roads are made of silk and the nice wide hairpins were great after a day and a half on motorways.

There is one little road that climbs up to an area called the Bikers Nest, can't say I enjoyed getting there are there are loads of cobbled, off camber turns and it started to rain as well!

After this we travelled into Italy and the Dolomites where we spent 3 days doing some circular routes based out of Corvara in Badia. This is lovely little village and the campsite, although pricey was great. The map below shows a route we did round the Sella Ronda that took in 117 hairpins in 3 hours. Even I felt pretty confident cornering by the end of that lot! All the time you are riding in amazing scenery on brilliant roads.

After experiencing such perfection, it was a bit of a drag riding for a day and a half back to Amsterdam through some torrential rain.

Luckily when I got back home I had my pit crew of my wee girl and neighbours kids to clean up the bike and park her until our next trip....where will that be.....suggestions gratefully received!

Kempy
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Re: Eurotour 2012

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:59 pm

Absolutely Ace matey. Nice pics and thanks for sharing.

Write ups are nearly as good as riding :ride)

:clap:

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Kempy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:04 pm

Agreed, but doing this write up has reminded me how much I enjoyed the trip and want to do it again!!
Kempy
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby MaXX2 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:11 am

Excellent write-up Kempy :thumbsup) but you're getting in the way of the scenery in some of the piccies... which... as a suggestion for the future... we could well do without :wink) :mrgreen:

BTW, didn't we ban face hair on IXXRA :-? Some fooker told me we had :banghead) :banghead) :mrgreen:
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Postby Simmo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:24 pm

Nice write up nice pictures :thumbsup) :thumbsup)

Simmo
Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten
Simmo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby Kempy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:37 am

Don't know if this will work but here goes. I know I have too much time on my hands!

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b58 ... 197547.mp4
Kempy
Annodised Alloy Member
Annodised Alloy Member

Postby Poacher » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:17 pm

Kempy wrote:Don't know if this will work but here goes. I know I have too much time on my hands!

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b58 ... 197547.mp4

Very nicely edited Kempy :clap: :clap: :clap:
'The Poacher'
Poacher
Magnesium Member
Magnesium Member

Return to Travelogues