Ro Ro and Smiley’s first trip over the Border

IXXRA Members Personal travelogues from around the world including photographs, tips and experiences.

Moderator: MaXX2

Ro Ro and Smiley’s first trip over the Border

Postby Ro Ro » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:28 pm

We’ve just come back from a wonderful road trip up to Fort William that blew us away with every corner we turned.

Our first leg up to Pooley Bridge was horrendous to say the least – took us from 9.30 to 6pm. Our first choice would have been Snake Pass and Glossop, but as we know, Snake Pass is closed, and we didn’t fancy doing Tim’s trick of bypassing the road works at 5am :notworthy) , so headed via Ashbourne.

20150604104235.JPG
They knew we were coming in Ashbourne

Ok so far; then it all went horribly wrong with Mrs Garmin deciding that taking us through Oldham, Rochdale and outer edges of Manchester was a good idea on a hot afternoon! :banghead) Traffic lights! 30mph – if you were lucky. It must have added 2hours to our journey! She did redeem herself though, once we had cleared the towns and took us on a very pleasant road over the moors, and then through Kirkstone Pass up to Ullswater and Pooley Bridge.
20150604171853.JPG
Views over Kirkstone Pass

20150605092558-1.jpg

20150604192808-1.jpg

Our next day to Kilwinning via Gretna was reasonable. Gretna Green had to be done of course, fortunately we were early and arrived before the coach loads of tourists, who were piling in as we left :roll)

Kilwinning, I’m afraid, was not worth the visit. Dreadful place! (Apologies to anyone who comes from there). Lodgings great - an old converted Methodist chapel, but miles from anywhere which made food and drink more difficult, and such a miserable place, stuck in a 1970s time warp. :P

Then things became remarkably better – we headed towards Fort William, via Loch Lomond and Glencoe – with a call at The Green Welly of course!
20150607105107-1.jpg
Loch Lomond

20150607121423.JPG

Views of Ben Nevis from guest house, and even though not quite in the centre for food and drink, a much easier access of victuals.
20150610153433.JPG
Ben Nevis (is that AJ????)

Day 1 – From Fort William to Mallaig, via Glenfinnan (of viaduct and Harry Potter fame), then over the sea to Skye. We didn’t stay long in Skye – just headed round the coastal road to the bridge and then headed back towards Invergarry and home
20150610150800-1.jpg
Harry Potter train

20150610150937-1.jpg
Jacobite memorial

Day 2 – Loch Ness of course! I have to say, I was quite disappointed with Loch Ness. Not only is it quite a boring Lake, apart from the Urquhart castle, we didn’t see Nessy! jawdropping Inverness is equally unremarkable. However we took the eastern route back to Fort William through Aviemore. Now for those of you who haven’t been to Aviemore – I imagined it like a swiss village, perched on a mountain side, so everyone could access the skiing. It’s nowhere near a mountain!!!! Well not a mountain you could walk to anyway – coaches would have to be provided to take the skier several miles to a snow covered slope. Quite a disillusionment, although a lovely town.
20150609101726.JPG
Urquhart Castle

20150609094840-1.jpg
can you see Nessy?

The road from Aviemore to Fort William was an amazing bike road. Very little traffic, great views and lots of sweeping bends and twists. We’re talking about the B9152 not the A9. A road to be highly recommended. :ride) :rockon)
20150610103932-1.jpg

20150609162509.JPG

Day 3 – round Adnarmurchan. We took the Corran ferry from just south of Fort William and then bimbled round the coastal road towards Adnarmurchan point (the most westerly point of mainland GB). Absolutely fantastic views – we could have been in Greece looking at the rocky bays and blue seas. But the road got progressively worse. Lots of VERY blind bends and summits, with no way of knowing what was ahead. The local white van man of course came hurtling towards us not worrying that we might be round the corner. The sharp breaking and bracing was not good for my back and hips, never mind taking the enjoyment out of the riding for Miles…..But apparently the difficulty was down to the extra weight he was carrying on the back!! :wink) We made it as far as Kilchoan and had a cuppa with an aging hippy, who had escaped the rat race 40 years ago and was lovely. :rockon)
20150610094607-1.jpg
waiting for ferry

20150610112650-1.jpg

20150610135844-1.jpg

Decided to call it quits and headed back through Acharacle (where a friend of mine lives, but sadly was in York!) towards Lochailort and back.

We were sorry to leave Fort William, but Jono was waiting for us at Moffat! Again a wonderful ride down to Moffat (apart from the Smiley malfunction taking us through Glasgow). Digs at Moffat were great, with views over some hills I can’t name, but Jono would know. Great evening spent at Buccleuch Arms Hotel catching up with Jono ….apparently it’s Ramo who snores, not Tim! Well who’d have thought it? zzz

Set Mrs Garmin onto curvy and set off for Richmond. She did us proud! We had a wonderful ride through previously unchartered (well by us anyway) roads round the Yorkshire Dales.

20150612135938.JPG
Swaledale

20150612140730.JPG

20150612141821.JPG

Sadly Richmond let us down :banghead) the town is nice apart from the road works blocking off our route to digs. The Pub/Hotel was a disappointment though. Ended up being the most expensive B&B, yet the poorest by far (Tripadvisor here we come!). Staff very nice, but room very basic and food poor. Until now, I’ve never returned a meal. This had to go! They didn’t charge us for the food, but it put a damper on our holiday right at the end.

Journey home even worse – rained the whole way – but at least we were going home where we could dry off…..and weather had been fabulous the rest of our holiday. So can’t complain.

How about us taking Budgie to Fort William next year??? :ride) :ride) :ride) Ixxra

20150609140901.JPG
Highland coo
Ro Ro
Carbon Fibre Member
Carbon Fibre Member

Re: Ro Ro and Smiley’s first trip over the Border

Postby Simmo » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:42 am

Nice RoRo :thumbsup) could do with pictures of you rather than miles lol
Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten
Simmo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby aj » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:28 pm

rooopoo....wasn't me in't portapotty...i was in front of you... lol

the road from avimore up to the ski center was worth a look.... you would have been up there in the snow covered peaks... 8)

lots more you haven't done so plan another trip for next year....... :ride) :rockon)

regards
aj :wink)

remember... i know nuffin about everything so don't believe a word i say
aj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Postby Oldbull » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:58 pm

Nice write up RoRo :thumbsup)

is it only me on here who hasnt been up there yet :bigcry:

Im available if anyone fancies it :mrgreen:
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby aj » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:19 pm

Oldbull wrote:Nice write up RoRo :thumbsup)

is it only me on here who hasnt been up there yet :bigcry:

Im available if anyone fancies it :mrgreen:

midge season July August....avoid... jawdropping :banghead)

regards
aj :thumbsup)

remember... i know nuffin about everything so don't believe a word i say
aj
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Return to Travelogues