Garmin Zumo 660... SOLD

Selling any kit? Or are you looking for some Blackbird parts or bike gear?
Then put an advert on our Shop Window,
or if you want to trade/swap any items please put them here.

Moderators: MaXX2, wobbs

Garmin Zumo 660... SOLD

Postby MaXX2 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:40 am

Bought and fitted and the end of May this year. Been on one trip with me and was fine. I'm having real problems with the Basecamp software and after swearing a lot trying to properly route a european run, I suddenly and very clearly, saw the light of day.... Just put the old Zumo 500 with Mapsource back on. Now done and I'm content as I simply can't be arsed learning all new software, that doesn't achieve anything more than the software it replaces!

All the mounts, cables, 2014 maps, Garmin fixtures and fittings, including car harness and cables, bike power/audio cable including etc are still in the box and I'll make sure all of my stuff is wiped off before shipping. I'll also put a 32GB micro SD card into the unit, so it'sgood to go out of the box and you don't need to leg it down to Argos!

This was a factory reconditioned unit when bought for £300. For sale now at £250 incl delivery to mainland UK.

Feel free to drop me a PM if interested.

Mick
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Re: Garmin Zumo 660

Postby T.Murphy aka Tim » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:47 am

MaXX2 wrote:Bought and fitted and the end of May this year. Been on one trip with me and was fine. I'm having real problems with the Basecamp software and after swearing a lot trying to properly route a european run, I suddenly and very clearly, saw the light of day.... Just put the old Zumo 500 with Mapsource back on. Now done and I'm content as I simply can't be arsed learning all new software, that doesn't achieve anything more than the software it replaces!

All the mounts, cables, 2014 maps, Garmin fixtures and fittings, including car harness and cables, bike power/audio cable including etc are still in the box and I'll make sure all of my stuff is wiped off before shipping. I'll also put a 32GB micro SD card into the unit, so it'sgood to go out of the box and you don't need to leg it down to Argos!
:roll) :oops)

This was a factory reconditioned unit when bought for £300. For sale now at £250 incl delivery to mainland UK.

Feel free to drop me a PM if interested.

Mick

Glad to see ya alive and well Maxx2. :thumbsup) Was gerrin worried about ya "silence", not that a phone call to ya wouldn't have put reight, but you know how it is.

Basecamp aint setting me alight either , although I haven't tried to hard with it. I have reverted to Mapsource though whilst still playingwith Basecamp. It's really shite aint it.

GLWS . :thumbsup)

Its all shite
T.Murphy aka Tim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Re: Garmin Zumo 660

Postby Oldbull » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:18 pm

Mick, Base camp is VERY hard work as youve already found out, your new maps will load up fine in Mapsource just like they used to.. make sure youve got the last edition of mapsource mate... Simmo and the southerners are using Tyre which is easier than Basecamp as well... and you do routes for Tom Tom as well.....

Mapsource for me tho untill they switch it off :thumbsup)
Oldbull
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Re: Garmin Zumo 660...SOLD

Postby MaXX2 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:45 pm

I understand Dave. I had to give it a real go because its been out that long, I expected it to be a decent step up. As you say, I suppose there're ways around everything if I was prepared to invest the time finding them. Sadly though, I'm not. The 660 as a unit's advanced features are a tad gimmicky to say the least and I couldn't find any actual practical advantage over the 500. Lot's of things are much better on paper, but on the road... I can't find any advantage worth swapping for and the whole Basecamp thing seems to be a very complicated way of doing exactly the same thing as Mapsource did very simply.

All the above is purely personal of course and I'm sure many people love it all, but the standout thing to me... It did the same job as the 500, just more complicated and errr, well childish (I mean pictures of buildings for those retards who just don't understand "Turn right" or a picture of the traffic lane to be in and then a little box with arrows in at the same time for the blind retards who can't read a road FTLOFG) lol

So I'll have most of me dosh back, update the maps on the 500, buy the ol' girl a new cradle (the waterproof pin cover fell off the old one years ago) and pocket £160. And I'll continue to trust it and I'll still get there. Oh and hopefully, if I ever search for toilet facilities on the 500, it won't put an icky wicky piccie if a whopping steamy turdy wurdy on the screen, in case I don't know what a toilet's for :mrgreen:

Tim... Cheers for the assist pal :thumbsup) :clap: much appreciated
Eliminate the impossible. Whatever remains, however improbable, must be the part you forgot to service.
MaXX2
Site Admin

Return to Shop Window & SwapShop